Treatment & Services
- Consultation and Long-term Care
- Lumbar Puncture (Spinal Tap)
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)
- Devic's Disease (Neuromyelitis Optica)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Optic Neuritis
- Transverse Myelitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA USA
Residency - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA USA
Internship - Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA USA
Medical Education - University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Chicago, IL USA
Undergraduate - Connecticut College
New London, CT USA
- Professor, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University
- Director, Mellen Center
- Director, Mellen Center Experimental Therapeutics Program
- Director, Mellen Center Clinical Neuroimmunology Fellowship
- Chair, International Advisory Committee on Clinical Trials, sponsored by National MS Society and ECTRIMS
- President Elect, ACTRIMS
- Psychiatry and Neurology - Neurology
Clinical Trials, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuroimmunology
Awards & Honors
- Freshman Chemistry Award, Connecticut College, 1973
- Sophomore Zoology Award, Connecticut College, 1974
- Junior Zoology Award, Connecticut College, 1975
- Winthrop Scholarship Award, Connecticut College, 1975
- Phi Beta Kappa, Connecticut College, 1976
- Alpha Omega Alpha, University of Chicago, 1980
- Clinician-Investigator Development Award, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, 1988
- Distinguished Alumnus, Connecticut College, 1994
- American Neurological Association, 1998
- Health Professional of the Year, Ohio Buckeye Chapter, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 2001
- Volunteer Hall of Fame, Health Professionals/Researchers, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 2007
- Best Doctors in America
- Top Doctors, Cleveland Magazine
- America’s Top Doctors, Castle Connolly
Innovations & Patents
- Cohen JA, Greene MI, Williams WV, Inventors: Method of Stimulating Myelination of Cells, Patent No. 5,219,837.
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Neurological Association
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 6/23/2021, Dr. Cohen has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Cohen receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- Convelo Therapeutics, Inc.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
66 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
6 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Sep 14, 2021
Dr cohen really gave great me great care told me about meds to help me deal with my MS previous 3 nuro told me nothing.
Reviewed on Mar 20, 2021
Appreciated actually seeing Dr Cohen! I'm very impressed to not have been handed off to a PA.
Reviewed on Mar 4, 2021
Both Dr. Yan and Dr. Cohen were very kind, courteous, and compassionate.
Reviewed on Dec 31, 2020
My visit was very pleasant I am very comfortable with Dr. Cohen
Reviewed on Nov 19, 2020
experience was excellent with both the Fellow and the Doctor. very thorough and explanations were put in lamens terms. I felt like they actually cared and took time to explain things to me
Reviewed on Nov 17, 2020
amazing experience!!! I have been trying to get answers at a neurologist for the last year and a half. The resident and dr did more for me in this 1 visit than the entire year and a half at the other neurologists.
© 2021 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.