Treatment & Services
- Bile Duct Stone Removal
- Biliary And Pancreatic Stone Therapy
- Biliary Surgery
- Endoluminal Surgery
- Endoscopic Procedures
- Gastrointestinal Exams
- Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Hepatobiliary Surgery
- Intestinal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic Solid Organ Surgery
- Laparoscopic Splenectomy
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Digestive Diseases
- Liver Resection
- Liver Surgery
- Management of Hepatobiliary Malignancies
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Pancreas Resection
- Pancreatic Stone Removal
- Pancreatic Surgery
- Pancreaticobiliary Pathologic Diagnosis
- Robotic Surgery
- Surgical Endoscopy and Endoscopic Procedures
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Abscess
- Bile Duct Cancer
- Bile Duct Diseases
- Bile Duct Obstruction
- Bile Duct Stones
- Bile Duct Tumors
- Carcinoid Syndrome
- Duodenal Polyps
- Gallbladder & Biliary Tract Disease
- Gallbladder Cancer
- Gallbladder Disease
- Gas (Digestive)
- GI Bleeding
- Hepatobiliary Disease
- Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP)
- Intestinal Carcinoid Tumors
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Pancreatic Cysts
- Pancreatic Disease
- Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors
- Pancreatic Stones
- Small Intestine Cancer
- Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Soft Tissue Tumor Pathology
- Stomach Cancer
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA USA
Residency - Loyola University Medical Center
Maywood, IL USA
Internship - Loyola University Medical Center
Maywood, IL USA
Medical School - Medical College of Wisconsin
Milwaukee, WI USA
Undergraduate - Creighton University
Omaha, NE USA
Biliary and pancreatic surgery, gastrointestinal surgery, general surgery, hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery, hepatobiliary surgery, laparoscopy, surgical endoscopy, surgical oncology, robotic surgery
Awards & Honors
- Dean’s List - 1978-1981
- Creighton University, Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award 1980
- Summa Cum Laude - 1981
- John F. Keeley Surgical Scholarship - 1989
- National Cancer Institute, Washington DC
- University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Research Project: “Immunotherapeutic Approaches, For Colon Cancer: The Use of Recombinant Antigen, Presentation and Immunoconjugates”
- 1997 Faculty Teaching Award, The Ohio State University College of Medicine - 1997
- Teacher of the Year , Cleveland Clinic Housestaff- 2000,
- The Distinguished Educator Award, The Ohio State University - 2001
- Associate Examiner, American Board of Surgery - 1999, 2002
- Harvard-Macy Institute Program for Physician Educators - 2002
- Teacher of the Year - 2003, 2004,
- Department of General Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Housestaff - 2006, 2008
- Examiner, American Board of Surgery - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Kaiser-Permanente Excellence in Teaching Award, Case Western Reserve University College of Medicine - 2008,
- Rich Family Distinguished Chair of Digestive Diseases- 2009
- Service Excellence Award, health Network Foundation - 2010
- The Rich Family Distinguished Chair in Digestive Diseases 2009
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 1/24/2018, Dr. Walsh has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
126 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.6|
|Knows Medical History||4.7|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
9 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Jun 26, 2018
Doctor said he was not sure why I came to him when he had all of my records. I sent them to the Cleveland clinic and was scheduled with this particular doctor on the clinics recommendation. He did not seem interested or prepared.
Reviewed on May 18, 2018
Dr. Walsh's staff have been very helpful and friendly regarding my care.
Reviewed on Apr 17, 2018
Everyone I came in contact with from courtesy desk receptionist and nurses and doctor's were helpful courteous and made me feel my needs were paramount.
Reviewed on Mar 6, 2018
I wish we had taken more time to go over the pros and cons of treatment
Reviewed on Feb 13, 2018
*Dr. Walsh & his staff - Excellent.
Reviewed on Feb 7, 2018
*Dr. R. Matthew Walsh was excellent trusted him with my life and recommend him to anyone.
Reviewed on Dec 6, 2017
Said might need surgery but will wait for biopsy results. I have confidence in Dr. Walsh and his assistance.
Reviewed on Jul 11, 2017
No meds or follow ups scheduled
Reviewed on Jun 27, 2017
Everyone was friendly & helpful - Dr. Walsh and his staff are always amazing.
© 2018 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.