Bringing together a comprehensive team of physicians, researchers and healthcare professionals with expert knowledge in childhood weight management, the Be Well Kids Clinic works with children (ages 2 to 18) and their families to develop strategies and create plans for a healthy lifestyle change.
What We Treat
The Be Well Kids Clinic team is comprised of expert healthcare professionals dedicated to assisting children with weight management and associated issues, including:
- Acanthosis Nigricans
- Blount's Disease
- Cholelithiasis (gallstones)
- Exercise Intolerance
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Insulin Resistance/ Pre-diabetes
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Peer Bullying
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Poor Quality of Life
- Poor Self Esteem
- Pseudotumor Cerebri
- Sleep Disturbances
- Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis
- Type 2 Diabetes
Childhood obesity and weight problems are increasing at alarming rates and it is no different in the Northeast Ohio area. The Be Well Kids Clinic uniquely targets children with excess weight and seeks to provide excellent care in managing the medical problems associated with being overweight, along with teaching families ways to improve quality of life and enhance wellness. Our family-centered approach strives to create life-long healthy weight.
Who is Eligible?
The Be Well Kids Clinic accepts children who meet the following criteria:
- 2 to 18 years of age
- Body mass index (BMI) greater than the 95th percentile (determine BMI percentile)
- Is motivated, along with their family, to make continuous lifestyle changes
Insurance coverage is different for everyone, so it is best to contact your insurance carrier to review your coverage. Billing for lab tests may be associated with the medical conditions identified at your visit. It is best to ask your insurance provider if they cover 99214 or 99215 medical visits and 97802 and 97803 nutrition visits.
What to Expect:
Before the initial visit each parent is asked to complete a questionnaire and a medical history. During the visit a medical provider will complete a physical exam, review health history, order lab work to identify health problems, and develop manageable goals with you and your child. You and your child will also meet with a dietitian to review healthy eating strategies.
During a group session, you will meet with members of the Be Well Kids Clinical team:
- A pediatrician, pediatric endocrinologist, or nurse practitioner – who will address your child’s medical needs.
- A registered dietitian - who can help you with healthy meal planning and portion control.
- An exercise physiologist - who will help your child find a safe, enjoyable physical activity, such as weight training.
- A pediatric psychologist or clinical social worker – to help your child build motivation and self-esteem, and address body image issues and bullying.
Follow-up visits are scheduled monthly to offer feedback and to support achieving a healthy weight goal. Frequency will decrease once goals have been met and life-long healthy weight strategies will be identified in order to sustain the positive changes which have been obtained.
The team of healthcare professionals who make up the Be Well Kids Clinic are devoted to assisting children and their families in the prevention of childhood obesity and treating comorbidities associated with obesity.
Main Campus Be Well Clinic
- Dietician: Katie Nowacki, RD
- Exercise physiologist: Mark Patterson
- Primary care: Jennifer Brubaker, CNP
- Psychology: Kate Eshleman, PhD
Hillcrest Be Well Clinic
- Dietician: Hanna Freeman
- Physical therapy: Raquel Griffin
- Social Work: Lianne Piorkowski
Our team of experts has compiled a list of resources that may help your child and family as you journey down the path to weight loss together.
Lifestyle Programs & Resources
- 5 to Go
- Calorie King
- eXtension – Food, Families and Fitness
- Fit Kids
- Fit Youth
- Let’s Move
- My Fitness Pal
- Nourish Interactive
- Sleep Disorders
- USDA Super Tracker
Be Well Kids Clinic Locations:
Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
9500 Euclid Ave.
Crile Building, 11th Floor
Cleveland, OH 44195
Hillcrest Medical Office Building II
6801 Mayfield Road, Second Floor
Mayfield Heights, Ohio 44124
Information & Appointments