NO SOLID FOOD THE DAY BEFORE THIS EXAM
When you arrive for your appointment for your colonoscopy:
- You must have a responsible adult there to drive you home and assist you at home while you finish recovering from your sedation.
- Please bring only one person with you.
- Bring the completed packet, list of medications, insurance card and driver's license.
- Arrive 45 minutes before procedure time.
At least three days before the exam: Fill prescription for Golytely & 4 Dulcolax tablets at your pharmacy.
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR EXAM
- On the day prior to your colonoscopy, a strict clear liquid diet should be followed. The description of a clear liquid diet is as follows:
- No dairy products at all
- Tea - hot or ice tea is allowed, no creamer
- Coffee - no creamer and only in the a.m.
- Juices - apple, white grape, white cranberry
- Sports drinks - no purple, red or blue flavors
- Carbonated beverages - no red color sodas
- Jello - no red, blue or purple flavors
- Popsicles - no red, blue or purple flavors
- Hard candy - no red, blue or purple flavors
- Gummy Bears - no red, blue or purple
- Flavored waters
- Clear chicken broth, beef broth or consommé
- Do not drink anything red, blue or purple
- Absolutely no dairy products
- Absolutely no juices with pulp
- At 1 p.m., take 4 Dulcolax tablets.
- At 5 p.m., start drinking solution. Drink a total of four 8 oz. glasses, one every 15-20 minutes. Please put the rest of the solution in the refrigerator for tomorrow morning.
THE DAY OF THE EXAM
- Four hours prior to exam time drink four more 8 oz. glasses every 15-20 minutes. Discard the remainder of the solution.
- DO NOT DRINK ANYTHING ELSE AFTER THIS STEP IS COMPLETED.
5 DAYS BEFORE EXAM
STOP taking aspirin or aspirin containing products, Vitamin E and Iron, blood thinners such as Coumadin, Plavix, and Aggrenox.
Take only ½ of your daily dose of insulin or tablets the day before your exam. Do not take any more of your diabetic medications until the procedure is over and you have resumed eating again. Drink regular liquids, not diabetic and monitor your sugar throughout the day you are on clear liquids. If your sugar gets too low, drink some apple juice.
Any questions, please call our office 330.753.6643 ext. 215, 218 or 220.