Applications will only be accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). We do not accept applications via FAX, email or postal services.
Thank you for your interest in our Internal Medicine Residency Program.
November 1st is our deadline for applications to all tracks. We strongly encourage applicants to submit their applications by the end of September, as our available interview days and times fill quickly. The following documents must be submitted for considering your application for review.
- ERAS Common Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean’s Letter (MSPE)
- A minimum of three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcripts
- USMLE Transcripts or COMLEX Transcripts
- IMG applicants, please review FAQs
Program Codes - Cleveland Clinic
- Categorical: 1968140C0
- Primary Care: 1968140M0
- Preliminary: 1968140P0
The following are guidelines used by the Internal Medicine Residency Selection Committee to identify applicants to be interviewed and possibly considered for final rank list or appointment:
- Graduate of an accredited medical school
- Pass Step 1, Step 2 CK & Step 2 CS of the USMLE on the first attempt
- Any gaps in training or medical school should have an accompanying explanation
- The Selection Committee will not recommend applicants for interview without score transcripts. Step 1 transcript is required with application submission (ERAS); Step 2 transcript is required by June 1.
- Must be able to assume all responsibilities of training by July 1. All appointees must report for orientation the last two weeks in June.
- Pass all preclinical courses on first attempt
- Minimum grade of PASS on the first attempt for all Core Clerkships
- High Pass or commendation (if given) for Medicine Clerkship preferred if Internal Medicine is first career choice
- Dean’s letter, plus 3 letters of recommendation are required (at least 2 strong letters of recommendation from Internal Medicine faculty with whom the applicant has worked clinically).
- Due to the volume of applications, we are unable to respond to every inquiry regarding acceptance for interview.
We conduct interviews from November through January, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the application deadline?
November 1st is our application deadline. We strongly encourage all applicants to submit their applications in September , as our available interview days and times fill quickly.
When do you start reviewing applications?
We begin downloading applications on September 15th and our selection committee reviews applications starting September 20th.
Is there a medical school graduation cutoff date?
In order to be considered for a position in our program, applicants from medical schools located outside the US and Canada must have graduated from medical school in the last 5 years.
What are the requirements with regards to letters of recommendation?
Dean’s letter and at least 3 letters of recommendation are required for consideration of application. We value letters from Internal Medicine faculty with whom the applicant has worked closely in a clinical setting.
Do you require a candidate to be ECFMG certified at the time of application?
No. The NRMP verifies with ECFMG that you have passed Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS of the USMLE exams, which are required for you to participate in the Main Residency Match. The NRMP does NOT verify your ECFMG certification status.
How do our residents perform on ABIM boards?
Our board pass rate for 2015 is 94% (national average 85%)
What career paths do your residents pursue after graduation from Internal medicine?
Approximately 65-70% of our residents continue their medical education by obtaining fellowships at prestigious institutions including our world renowned specialties. 30-35% of our residents pursue practice in Primary care or Hospital Medicine. Many chose academic careers as medical educators, researchers and leaders in addition to clinical care.
FAQs or DO applicants
For DO applicants do you require USMLE and COMLEX scores
We require USMLE and/or COMLEX score transcripts. Both are not required. The Selection Committee will not recommend applicants for interview without score transcripts.
FAQs for International Medical Graduates
Do you accept International Medical Graduates?
Yes, we do accept IMGs and US-IMGs. Cleveland Clinic embraces and values the talent of physicians from across the world.
Do you sponsor Visas?
Yes, we sponsor H1B or J1 visas. All matched applicants must obtain a valid visa prior to intern orientation.
Do I have to take Step 3?
The applicant should have cleared all qualifying exams by April 15 if requesting an H1b visa. This includes USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and Step 3.
Is US clinical experience required for IMGs
US Clinical experience in the United States is preferred. Full-time clinical activity within 24 months of application in medical school, residency, and/or medical practice is required.
For all inquiries about the Internal medicine residency program at Cleveland Clinic, email us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every inquiry regarding acceptance for interview.