Educators are invited to have their middle and high school students join a team of our caregivers for Connected Career Rounds (CCR) to learn about the career journeys that landed them face-to-face with today’s most challenging healthcare issues. Educators can now enroll in this free online program for the 2023-2024 school year.
Each session includes a caregiver team, whose members discuss their career path and how they contribute to providing care around a specific health topic. The sessions also provide valuable information about the depicted careers such as average income, education requirements, expected 10-year job growth and local education/certification programs. At the end of each live session, students have the opportunity to ask the caregivers any questions they may have.
In addition to the live sessions, students and teachers can go to the Connected Career Rounds on-demand website to watch recordings of prior sessions, which will be posted on Fridays after live events. The website also includes video features on in-demand Cleveland Clinic jobs, caregiver testimonials from healthcare professionals, links to other education programs and other career exploration resources. To access the materials, visit the Connected Career Rounds on-demand website and select “log in as a guest.”
Teachers and other school professionals: If you are interested in participating in live Connected Career Rounds sessions, please register your class today. Once registered, you will receive RSVP emails one week before each live session so you can save a spot for your class.
Questions? Please contact CYCE@ccf.org.
Connected Career Rounds
September 2023 – March 2024
Please note that caregiver availability can sometimes change at the last moment, so there may be slight variations in the careers being represented. Additionally, recruitment is ongoing, so more caregivers may be added over time.
What Happens When You Vape?
Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2023, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: pediatric pulmonologist (MD), respiratory therapist (inpatient), respiratory therapist (outpatient), research program manager, health educator
- Session Description: Vaping is a relatively new phenomenon, and we’re still learning about its health effects. In this session, a pediatric pulmonologist who conducts research on vaping will cover what we do know, and a care team will discuss their roles in treating patients with complications from vaping.
- Available On-Demand: Sept. 29, 2023
When Life Takes Us Down: The Emergency Room
Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2023, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: emergency room physician, physician assistant, registered nurse, EMS coordinator, EMT, patient transporter
- Session Description: When in distress, we rush to the ER. An emergency room team will explain how each member plays an important role in addressing urgent matters and the types of care they provide during a sudden cardiac arrest.
- Available On-Demand: Oct. 13, 2023
Play Ball: Caring for Athletes*
Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2023, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: sports medicine physician (MD), orthopaedic surgeon (MD), kinesiologist, physical therapist
- Session Description: When athletes get injured, a skilled team of professionals is tasked with getting them back on their feet. A sports medicine team will discuss how every member of the team is crucial in getting athletes back to peak performance.
- Available On-Demand: Oct. 27, 2023
*Note: We are still actively recruiting for this session, and the caregiver professions may change slightly.
What’s in Your Head? The Neurology/Neurosurgery Team
Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2023, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: neurologist (MD), neurosurgeon (MD), nurse practitioner, registered nurse, speech language pathologist
- Session Description: When someone has a stroke, quick action is needed. This team of professionals who specialize in caring for the brain will explain the all-hands-on-deck process that is needed to save patient lives.
- Available On-Demand: Nov. 17, 2023
Focusing on the Small Stuff: The Pathology Lab
Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: pathologist (MD), pathologist’s assistant, medical laboratory scientist, phlebotomist, cytotechnologist
- Session Description: Every time someone draws your blood, checks your cholesterol or runs a number of other tests, a pathology lab is involved. In this session, caregivers working in the collection and analysis of these lab specimens will give us a close-up look at the vital care that happens behind the scenes.
- Available On-Demand: Dec. 1, 2023
Saving Your Voice: Laryngology
Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2023, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: ENT laryngologist (MD), speech language pathologist, surgical technician, nurse manager
- Session Description: A laryngology team can treat issues that affect your breathing. They're also the people who save famous singers' voices. In this session, a laryngology team will walk us through the process of caring for a singer who needs laser voice surgery.
- Available On-Demand: Dec. 15, 2023
Follow Your Heart: Working in Cardiology
Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2024, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: cardiothoracic surgeon (MD), physician assistant, cardiac sonographer, cardiovascular perfusionist, sterile processing technician
- Session Description: Your heart is extremely important. So what happens when something is wrong with it? A cardiology team will share what they do and how they keep this vital organ working to its full potential.
- Available On-Demand: Jan. 12, 2024
Bad Blood: The Surgical Team That Wants to Save a Dying Leg
Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2024, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: vascular surgeon (MD), surgical tech, registered nurse, medical assistant, ultrasound tech, catheter lab tech
- Session Description: A vascular surgery team walks us through how they treat the dying leg of someone with peripheral arterial disease, which can impact people with diabetes and those who smoke.
- Available On-Demand: Jan. 26, 2024
Saving the Tiniest Patients
Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: pediatrician, nurse, nurse practitioner, respiratory therapist, dietitian
- Session Description: When babies are born and something goes wrong, the pediatric NICU springs into action. In this session, a pediatric NICU team will walk us through the process of saving a tiny premature baby.
- Available On-Demand: Feb. 9, 2024
Under Pressure: Treating Hypertension
Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: nephrologist (MD), behavioral psychologist (PhD), dietitian, registered nurse, pharmacy tech, dialysis tech
- Session Description: High blood pressure is very common and very bad for your health. A team of Cleveland Clinic caregivers, led by a kidney doctor, will discuss this condition, what it does to your body and how they respond to it.
- Available On-Demand: Feb. 23, 2024
The Many Faces of Nursing
Tuesday, Mar. 5, 2024, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: registered nurse, patient care nurse assistant, nurse practitioner, certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA)
- Session Description: Nurses are the heart of a hospital, and there is a huge shortage of them across the United States. In this session, a team of professionals will describe the variety that is offered by a career in the nursing field.
- Available On-Demand: Mar. 8, 2024
Innovating for the Future of Healthcare
Tuesday, Mar. 19, 2024, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: inventor, engineer, finance professional, attorney, marketing professional, market research analyst
- Session Description: At Cleveland Clinic, we have an entire institute that is dedicated to the future of healthcare. Cleveland Clinic Innovations looks to the future with its team of professionals who are determined to make the next big thing in healthcare.
- Available On-Demand: Mar. 22, 2024