Each day at Cleveland Clinic, caregiver teams complete “rounds” to coordinate patient care. Educators are invited to have their middle and high school students join a team of our caregivers for Connected Career Rounds (CCR) to learn about the career journeys that landed them face-to-face with today’s most challenging healthcare issues.
Each session includes a caregiver team, whose members discuss their career path and how they contribute to providing care around a specific health topic. Information about education opportunities at Cleveland Clinic and with our affiliates is also provided during the session.
CCR is a program provided by the Center for Youth and College Education. On-demand sessions are available one week after live sessions take place. Students and teachers can access all on-demand sessions after they are posted on this site. Please select “log in as a guest” once you reach the landing page. This will give you access to all course materials.
To access live sessions, educators will need to enroll in a separate Connected Career Rounds HealthcareEdu course. Please email CYCE@ccf.org if you would like to access Connected Career Rounds with your students.
Questions? Contact CYCE@ccf.org.
Please note that caregiver availability can sometimes change at the last moment, so there may be slight variations in the careers being represented. Additionally, recruitment is ongoing, so more caregivers may be added over time.
Bad Blood: The Surgical Team That Wants to Save a Dying Leg
Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2022, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: vascular surgeon (MD), surgical tech, registered nurse, medical assistant, ultrasound tech, cath lab tech
- Session Description: A vascular surgery team walks us through how they treat the dying leg of someone with peripheral arterial disease, which can impact people with diabetes and those who smoke.
- Available On-Demand: Oct. 11, 2022
Essential Support: Non-Clinical Caregivers
Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2022, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: environmental services, patient transport, data analytics, sterile processing
- Session Description: A hospital is much more than doctors and nurses. There are many caregivers who do not treat patients but have essential roles to keep things running smoothly. These caregivers will be the focus of this session.
- Available On-Demand: Oct. 25, 2022
Diabetes and Those Who Treat It
Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2022, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: registered nurse, medical assistant, dialysis technician
- Session Description: Diabetes is a prevalent and complex health condition. A team of caregivers who specialize in education, management and treatment will talk about the condition as well as their personal roles.
- Available On-Demand: Nov. 8, 2022
Pharmacy: Not Just Pills
Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2022, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: inpatient pharmacist, outpatient pharmacist, pharmacy tech
- Session Description: There is a lot more to pharmacy than what you see behind the counter. A group of pharmacists with different roles will describe what they do and how other caregivers take part in the field of pharmacy.
- Available On-Demand: Nov. 22, 2022
When Life Takes Us Down: The Emergency Room
Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2022, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: emergency room physician, registered nurse, EMS coordinator, EMT
- Session Description: When in distress, we rush to the ER. An emergency room team will explain how each member plays an important role in addressing urgent matters and the types of care they provide in clutch situations.
- Available On-Demand: Dec. 6, 2022
Meet Me in the OR: A Trip to the Operating Room
Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2022, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: surgical tech, certified anesthesiologist assistant, registered nurse, health unit coordinator, surgical assistant, support service surgical tech, radiologic technician, sterile processing technician, medical laboratory scientist, nurse manager
- Session Description: Surgery is complicated! We all know about surgeons, but a successful operation requires collaboration among many caregivers. This session will showcase some of the many roles of a surgical team.
- Available On-Demand: Dec. 20, 2022
What Happens When You Vape?
Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2023, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: pediatric pulmonologist (MD), respiratory therapist, health educator
- Session Description: Vaping is a relatively new phenomenon, and we’re still learning about its health effects. In this session, a pediatric pulmonologist who publishes on vaping will cover what we do know, and a care team will discuss their roles in treating patients with complications from vaping.
- Available On-Demand: Jan. 17, 2023
Follow Your Heart: Working in Cardiology
Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2022, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: cardiothoracic surgeon (MD), physician assistant, cardiovascular perfusionist
- Session Description: Your heart is extremely important, so what happens when something is wrong with it? A cardiology team will share what they do and how they keep this vital organ working to its full potential.
- Available On-Demand: Jan. 31, 2023
Focusing on the Small Stuff: The Pathology Lab
Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2023, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: lab administration, phlebotomist, cytotechnologist
- Session Description: Every time someone draws your blood, checks your cholesterol or runs a number of other tests, a pathology lab is involved. In this session, caregivers working in the collection and analysis of these lab specimens will give us a close-up look at what they do.
- Available On-Demand: Feb. 14, 2023
Discovering the Cure: Careers in Research
Tuesday, March 7, 2023, from 1 – 2 p.m. (EST)
- Featured Careers: Laboratory researcher, computer scientist, engineer
- Care Path: In addition to caring for patients, the Cleveland Clinic is also known for its research. Conducting this research requires a dedicated team of professionals across numerous education levels and career specializations. This session will focus on who does this work and how they got to where they are.
- Available On-Demand: March 14, 2023