Welcome to the Cleveland Clinic Digestive Disease and Surgery Institute (DDSI). We offer patients the most advanced, safest and proven medical and surgical treatments primarily focused on disorders related to the gastrointestinal tract.
Of the top digestive disease centers in the United States, DDSI is the first of its kind to unite all specialists in gastroenterology and hepatology, bariatric surgery, colorectal surgery, hepato-pancreato-biliary and transplant surgery, and nutrition within one unique, fully integrated model of care – aimed at optimizing the patient experience.
This exciting model of care also helps us offer effective and patient-friendly service, including shorter waits for appointments and more seamless interaction with all of our specialists. In addition, our institute model enhances opportunities for cutting-edge research and physician education.
Cleveland Clinic is ranked as one of the nation's top hospitals by U.S. News & World Report.
- View a full list of What We Treat
- View our Treatment and Procedure options
- Learn about our Departments and Centers
- Find a Digestive Disease Physician
Institute Mission Statement
The mission of Cleveland Clinic Digestive Disease and Surgery Institute is to foster the most effective, efficient and compassionate multidisciplinary digestive health care through innovation: ‘Devise, Optimize, Economize without Compromise’.
We focus on reconnecting quality and patient safety with clinical care. This collaboration supports the Cleveland Clinic health system’s commitment to quality and patient care, which parallels major healthcare initiatives nationwide.
- Dr. Conor Delaney discusses the importance of a patient’s role in minimally invasive surgery
Becker’s Hospital Review, 11/8/2016
- Dr. Matthew Kalady uses inflatable colon to teach about colorectal health.
WJW-TV 8, 9/22/2016
- Experts compare various screening tests for colon cancer. Dr. Carol Ann Burke comments.
U.S. News & World Report, 9/21/2016
- Experts explain ways to treat common digestive complaints. Dr. Gail Cresci comments.
Consumer Reports, 9/20/2016
- Dr. Jamile Wakim-Fleming discusses signs your liver may be failing.
- The FDA approves first-ever magnetic device for gallbladder removal. Dr. Matthew Kroh comments.
- Some doctors are encouraged by a new at-home test for colon cancer. Dr. Carol Burke comments.
- Dr. Jean Ashburn shares common reasons for having blood in your stool.
- Doctors explain some of the signs indicating celiac disease. Dr. Jamile Wakim-Fleming comments.
- Dr. Matthew Kalady discusses three opportunities to reduce colorectal cancer in younger patients.
HemOnc Today, 2/12/16
- Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano shares tips to ease the pain of a hangover.
CBS News, 1/4/16
- New treatment options offer hope for people with hepatitis C. Dr. William Carey comments.
- Dr. Marc Gillinov and Julia Zumpano, RD, offer tips for setting realistic weight loss goals for the New Year.
WJW-TV 8, 1/5/16
- Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano suggests foods that can aid the immune system to perform at its best.
KRIV-TV (Houston, TX), WJBK-TV (Detroit, MI), and 4 other CCNS affiliates, 1/7/16
- Dr. Ramprasad Jegadeesan discusses research presented at the Advances in Inflammatory Bowel Disease annual conference.
- Experts share 11 winter produce picks that can help you tackle your biggest winter health complaints. Registered dietitian Kate Patton
U.S. News & World Report , 1/14/16
- Dr. Maged Rizk comments on ways to keep your gastrointestinal tract healthy.
- Registered dietitian Kate Patton comments on the MIND diet.
Women’s Health , 1/15/16
- Organ transplant numbers are on the rise nationwide. Dr. John Fung comments
The Columbus Dispatch , 1/19/16
- Dr. William Carey discusses the history of hepatitis C and new drugs to help treat the disease
WOSU Radio , 1/20/16
- Clinicians share the resolutions they are making for 2016 to improve the care they provide to their patients. Dr. Conor Delaney comments.
- Dr. Conor Delaney is featured for his new role at Cleveland Clinic.
The Irish Times, 1/22/16
- Dr. Maged Rizk offers strategies to relieve constipation.
Yahoo! Health, 1/25/16
- Experts share healthy foods that should be a part of every diet. Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers comments.
The Huffington Post and Oprah.com, 1/28/16
- Dr. Carol Burke explains what to expect when getting a colonoscopy.
Yahoo! Health, 1/28/16
- Registered dietitian Anna Taylor shares her top 10 diabetes-friendly carb picks.
- Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers explains how long you can safely save your Thanksgiving leftovers.
KAVU-TV (Victoria, TX) and KOLO-TV (Reno, NV), 12/1/15
- New lab at Allegheny General Hospital is collaborating with Cleveland Clinic to transform treatment of pancreatitis. Dr. Matthew Walsh comments.
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 12/15/15
- Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano shares tips to help cure a hangover.
KAVU-TV (Victoria, TX), 12/31/15
- Dr. Nizar Zein explains how Cleveland Clinic uses 3D printing technology.
- Dr. Conor Delaney has been named Chairman of Cleveland Clinic’s Digestive Disease Institute.
Irish Medical Times, 11/4/15
- Experts discuss 10 essential facts about your gallbladder. Dr. Cathleen Khandelwal comments.Everyday Health, 11/4/15
- Newly approved intragastric balloons fill gap in treating obesity. Dr. Matthew Kroh comments.
General Surgery News, 10/28/15
- Registered dietitian Lindsay Malone discusses the health benefits of pumpkin.
KMSB-TV (Tucson, AZ), KTBC-TV (Austin, TX), and 2 other CCNS affiliates, 10/27/15
- Dr. Naim Alkhouri discusses study results presented at the American College of Gastroenterology meeting.
- Researchers find liver stiffness is strongly associated with steatosis and diabetes. Dr. Naim Alkhouri shares his perspective.
- Co-infection of hepatitis B and hepatitis C significantly increases your risk of liver damage. Dr. Ibrahim Hanouneh comments.
- Experts discuss the nutritional benefits of eating salmon. Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano comments.
- Television special highlights the importance of organ donation and transplantation. Dr. John Fung, Dr. Charles Miller, and Cleveland Clinic patient are featured.
PBS: Healthy Body, Healthy Mind, 8/13/15
- Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers discusses the most common mistakes people make when dieting
KOLO-TV (Reno, NV), 8/4/15
- Nutrition experts discuss whether pretzels are a healthy snack. Registered dietitian Kate Patton comments.
TIME.com , 7/31/15
- Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers gives examples of hydrating foods you can eat during hot weather.
WJW-TV 8, 7/30/15
- Nutrition experts offer both pros and cons of drinking butter coffee. Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers comments.
TODAY.com , 7/30/15
- Tribute honors the late Dr. Victor Fazio. Dr. James Church comments.
The Sydney Morning Herald, 7/29/15
- Patient shares wedding dance with her physician, Dr. John Fung, 10 years after life-saving liver transplant.
- Dr. John Fung, director of the Cleveland Clinic Health System Transplantation Center, discusses pediatric liver transplant rejections.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 7/21/15
- Experts discuss 10 essential facts about hepatitis C. Dr. Ibrahim Hanouneh comments.
- New study finds moderate amounts of any type of alcohol may offer cardioprotective benefits. Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano comments.
WOIO-TV 19, WCNC-TV (Charlotte, NC), WTAM-Radio, and 3 other CCNS affiliates, 7/17/15
- Woman with rare disease continues to hope for a cure. Dr. Matthew Kroh is mentioned.
Good Housekeeping , 7/17/15
- Experts discuss whether or not burgers should be part of a healthy diet. Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano comments.
- Woman with rare disease continues to hope for a cure. Dr. Matthew Kroh comments.
People Magazine, 7/8/15
- Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano shares tips for a healthy barbeque.
KLTV-TV (Tyler, TX) and WGGB-TV (Springfield, MA), 7/2/15
- Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers talks about some of the health advantages you may gain by shopping at a farmers market.
WGGB-TV (Springfield, MA), 7/1/15
- Dr. Aaron Brzezinski discusses medications to keep Crohn’s disease in remission.
- Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers talks about some of the most nutritious vegetables you can work into your diet.
WOIO-TV 19, 6/17/15
- Experts debate whether butter should be a part of a healthy diet. Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano comments.
- Patient with rare disease is seeing progress in her health while under the care of Dr. Matthew Kroh.
WTMJ-TV (Milwaukee, WI), 6/17/15
- A new study suggests eating up to two chocolate bars a day can lower your risk of heart disease. Registered dietitian Kate Patton comments.
Yahoo! Health, 6/17/15
- A new study finds people who are assigned a diet adhere better and lose more weight than people who pick their own diet plan. Registered dietian Laura Jeffers comments.
KIFI-TV (Idaho Falls, ID), 6/16/15
- Dr. Maged Rizk shares things you can do to decrease the risk of constipation.
KSWO-TV (Wichita Falls, TX), 6/15/15
- Researchers discover that people who drink just one or more sugar-sweetened beverage a day are at an increased risk of developing non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Dr. William Carey comments.
Yahoo! Health, 6/9/15
- Experts discuss the nutritional benefits of tilapia. Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano comments.
- Dr. John Vargo comments on results of study presented at Digestive Disease Week 2015.
- Dr. John Vargo shares his perspective on study results presented at Digestive Disease Week.
- Experts discuss whether pork is a good choice for your health. Registered dietitian Kate Patton comments.
- Dr. Ibrahim Hanouneh explains how hepatitis C treatment has changed.
- Woman shares how rare disorder has affected her life. Dr. Matthew Kroh comments.
WEWS-TV 5, 5/5/15
- Experts suggest avoiding fat-free half and half. Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano comments.
WTMJ-TV (Milwaukee, WI), 4/30/15
- Experts suggest avoiding fat-free half and half. Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano comments.
- The Undy Run/Walk for colon cancer awareness takes place this Saturday at Edgewater Park. Dr. Matthew Kalady comments.
The Plain Dealer, 4/6/15
- Registered dietitian Kate Patton shares tips for a healthier Easter dinner.
KATV-TV (Little Rock, AR) and WNYT-TV (Albany, NY), 4/3/15
- Experts discuss whether smoothies are beneficial to your diet. Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers comments.
TIME , 4/2/15
- Dr. Ryan Williams answers questions about colon cancer.
Black America Web, 4/1/15
- "Semicolon; The Adventures of Ostomy Girl," will have two screenings this week at the Cleveland International Film Festival
Watch the WOIO-TV 19 and WJW-TV 8 story, 3/25/15
Read the Plain Dealer story, 3/23/15
Watch the Crain's Cleveland Business story, 3/17/15
- Dr. Emina Huang busts common myths about colon cancer and colonoscopies
Watch the WKYC-TV 3 story, 3/24/15
- A new study finds a diet dominated by fruits and vegetables, but also containing a moderate amount of fish, could cut your risk for colorectal cancers by nearly 45 percent.
Watch the WJBK-TV (Detroit, MI) story, 3/16/15
- Julia Zumpano, registered dietitian, comments on the Mediterranean diet
Read the Reuters story, 3/10/15
- Dr. Carlos Romero-Marrero provides information on signs and symptoms of colon cancer.
Watch the WKYC-TV 3 story, 3/9/15
- Dr. Maged Rizk, gastroenterologist, discusses the latest health fad, charcoal juice
Read the Time.com story, 3/6/15
- Dr. Emina Huang discuss the importance of colonoscopies in preventing colon cancer
Watch the WTVQ-TV and WCBD-TV story, 3/5/15
- Study finds big breakfasts and small dinners might be a healthier way to eat for people with type 2 diabetes
Read the Reuters story, 3/4/15
- Experts warn against coconut products for heart patients
Read the New York Daily News story, 3/3/15
- Dr. Carlos Romero-Marrero discusses the new Hispanic Clinic at Lutheran Hospital
Watch the WKYC-TV 3 story, 2/28/15
- Registered dietitian Kate Patton explains the difference between good carbohydrates and bad carbohydrates
Watch the WOIO-TV 19 and KTHV-TV story, 2/27/15
- Dr. Marc Gillinov and Julia Zumpano, RD, discuss the best foods to eat for a healthy heart
WJW-TV 8, 2/24/15
- Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers comments on new policy statement regarding school nutrition
Reuters and FoxNews.com, 2/23/15
- Registered dietitian Laura Jeffers discusses which fad diets are best and worst for your health
WKYC-TV 3, 2/19/15
- Registered dietitian Julia Zumpano explains the importance of fiber in a dietary plan
- Registered dietitian Kate Patton shares heart healthy options for a Valentine’s Day dinne
WVUE-TV (New Orleans, LA), WJET-TV (Erie, PA), and WRTV-TV (Indianapolis, IN, 2/13/15
- Cleveland Clinic will collaborate with CWRU and University Hospitals in research on digestive inflammation, gastrointestinal cancer and liver and metabolic diseases as part of a new grant received by CWRU
The Plain Dealer, 2/12/15
- The FDA recently approved a drug to treat binge-eating disorder. Dr. Leslie Heinberg comments
International Business Times, 2/6/15