Art Therapy is engaging in the creation of art, with the help of an Art Therapist, to assist with both emotional and physical healing and growth. Anyone can benefit from Art Therapy, it does not depend upon talent or technical ability. The Art Therapist will discuss your interests and goals for the session, and then suggest art tasks. This may include painting, simple sculpting, drawing, collage or craftwork. Art Therapists are professionals who possess a Master's Degree in the field of Art Therapy.
Art Therapy can help:
- Decrease pain and anxiety
- Improve coping skills
- Provide an opportunity for self-expression
- Enhance self-esteem
- Promote relaxation
- Provide a sense of choice and control
- Improve attention span
- Assist with rehabilitation
Art Therapy is currently available on the inpatient units at Main Campus via consult. Programs and groups are offered in the Heart and Vascular Institute, Cleveland Clinic Children's, Taussig Cancer Institute, and the Transplant units, as well as Behavior Health at Lutheran Hospital. Drop in programs for visitors, caregivers and patients are offered in the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Store and the Center for Consumer Health Information.
Cleveland Clinic's Arts & Medicine Institute is offering Art Therapy as a complimentary service during your (or your child's) stay in the hospital. You may request your nurse or other caregiver to place a consult to Art Therapy. For more information, please contact Tammy Shella, MA, ATR-BC, Art Therapy Program Manager at 216.444.4792 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music Therapy, under the supervision of a board certified music therapist, combines music and therapeutic techniques and aids in the physiological, psychological and emotional well-being of the individual during treatment of an illness. Music Therapy is currently offered in the Harry R. Horvitz Center for Palliative Medicine, the Neurological Institute, Children's Rehab Hospital, Bone Marrow Transplant unit, Pediatric units and through referrals to patients throughout the hospital.
For more information about music therapy or to request Music Therapy services when a patient is admitted at Cleveland Clinic, please contact Debbie Bates, MMT, MT-BC, the Music Therapy Program Manager at 216.444.9639.
Pediatric Wish Lists
Cleveland Clinic Arts & Medicine Institute appreciates your generosity.
Due to infection control, we are accepting NEW ITEMS ONLY.
Art Therapy Wish List
- Crayola Washable Tempera paints
- Acrylic paints
- Biocolor paints
- Sculpey Bake Shop clay
- Crayola Model Magic (all colors)
- Crayola Twistables colored pencils
- Canvas boards (all sizes)
- Scrapbook supplies (paper, stickers, etc.)
- Sharpie markers (all colors)
- Sketch markers and gel crayons
- Tie-dye kits
- White t-shirts, all sizes
- Mod Podge
- Play-doh kits
- Miscellaneous craft kits
- Wooden/papier-mâché items to paint
- 3D printing pen
- iTunes gift cards (for creative iPad applications to be used with patients)
Music Therapy Wish List
- Small portable electronic drum set
- Blank printable CD labels
- Parachute Karaoke Microphone
- Guitar picks
- Story books/Musical story books - Pete the Cat, What a Wonderful World, Boom Chicka Boom, M is for Melody)
- Piano/Guitar instruction books
- Music theory book/worksheets
- iTunes gift cards
- Amazon gift cards
- Guitar tuner
- Child/Teen/Family friendly CDs
- Song Books/Sheet Music Books
- Szuki Tone Chimes
- Other general musical instruments
- Portable iPad charger