Treatment & Services
- Consultation and Long-term Care
- Lumbar Puncture (Spinal Tap)
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM)
- Devic's Disease (Neuromyelitis Optica)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Optic Neuritis
- Transverse Myelitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Neuroimmunology (Multiple Sclerosis)
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - State University of New York at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Scienc
Buffalo, NY USA
Undergraduate - State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY USA
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society Research Grant: "Advanced imaging methods to study recovery from acute optic neuritis"
- Program Committee - American Society of Neuroimaging
- Regular volunteer speaker for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Psychiatry and Neurology - Neurology
clinical trial research, imaging research, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuroimmunology
Awards & Honors
- 2003 American Society of Neuroimaging William Oldendorf Award for Outstanding Neuroimaging Research. Presented at the ASN Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA March 7, 2003 for the work entitled: "Gray matter T2 hypointensity predicts longitudinal brain atrophy in MS: effect of interferon beta-1a".
- 2003 American Academy of Neurology Medical Student Prize for Excellence in Neurology. Presented at University at Buffalo School of Medicine commencement May 23, 2003.
- 2003 State University of New York at Buffalo Baccelli Award for Most Outstanding Research. Presented at University at Buffalo School of Medicine commencement May 23, 2003.
- 2001 American Academy of Neurology G. Milton Shy Award in Clinical Neurology. Presented at the AAN Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA May 7, 2001 for the work entitled: "Bicaudate ratio as a marker of brain atrophy in multiple sclerosis".
- American Academy of Neurology - member since 2000
- American Medical Association - member since 1999
- American Society of Neuroimaging - member since 2001. Annual Meeting Program Committee since 2003
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 10/1/2020, Dr. Bermel has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Bermel receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- Roche (Hoffman-La Roche, Ltd.)
- Novartis International, AG
- Biogen Idec, Inc.
- Genentech, Inc
- EMD Serono, Inc.
- Efficient CME
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
63 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
11 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Dec 22, 2020
My Dr was amazing and very accommodating.
Reviewed on Nov 10, 2020
Very satisfied with all aspects of my visit with Dr. Bermel
Reviewed on Oct 28, 2020
I really liked my new doctor and he knew all about alternatives for MS medicine
Reviewed on Sep 9, 2020
Very excited to be working with Dr. Bermel for my continued health care and treatment of my Multiple Sclerosis.
Reviewed on Aug 25, 2020
I came to Dr Bermel for a consultation. I have not been diagnosed but was concerned about particular symptoms that have been bothering me. Dr Bermel was very thorough and really listened to me. He was also very kind.
Reviewed on Aug 19, 2020
Dr. Bernal is very professional and shows sincere concern for my issues!
Reviewed on Aug 5, 2020
Dr Bremel is an amazing person and Dr! I live in Ann Arbor MI, I've never minded the 3 hour drive to see him but the virtual visit made my experience that much better! I was in the comfort of my home receiving the best care available to me and I'm forever grateful!thank you Dr Bremel and Rebecca for your outstanding care!
Reviewed on Jun 16, 2020
I was highly impressed with my care providers that I spoke with. My concerns were addressed, my questions were answered, and a plan for going forward was developed. I was exxtremely happy with the professionalism, explanations, and use of language that was understandable to me.
Reviewed on Jun 3, 2020
i am very happy with my experience and feel like Dr. Bermel actually cares to help me
Reviewed on May 20, 2020
Dr. Bermel have been my doctor for many years now and he has always been really nice, caring and professional.
Reviewed on Feb 4, 2020
CC was such a great experience for us. Dr. Bermel spent a lot of time listening, examining and reviewing my reports and history. He then gave his diagnosis and recommendations addressing our concerns and questions. In a two words, he was THE BEST and we were so grateful that he was recommended to us.
© 2021 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.