Treatment & Services
- Behavioral Epilepsy Diagnosis and Management
- Depth Electrode Recordings
- Epilepsy Pharmacotherapy with Call Office
- Epilepsy Surgery Evaluation
- Interpretation of EEG in the critical care setting
- Intracranial EEG monitoring and brain mapping for presurgical evaluation
- Intraoperative Brain Mapping And Monitoring
- Magnetoencephalography (meg)
- Neuroimaging (mri, Pet, Spect, Meg Scans)
- Novel Epilepsy Imaging (PET, SPECT, MEG, fMRI)
- Specialized EEG With Subdural Grids
- Surgery In Brain Malformations
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation
- Video EEG Monitoring
- Wada Test
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Adult Epilepsy
- Benign Focal Epilepsies and Variants
- Brain Malformations Causing Epilepsy
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- Complex Epilepsy in Adults
- First Seizure Assessment
- Geriatric Epilepsy
- Intractable (Drug Resistant) Epilepsy
- Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome
- Malformations Of Cortical Development
- Neurofibromatosis Causing Epilepsy
- Non-epileptic Seizure
- Non-epileptic seizure disorder
- Seizure Manifestations
- Sleep and Epilepsy Issues
- Status Epilepticus (continuous Seizures)
- Traumatic Brain Injury Causing Seizures
- Women's Health And Epilepsy
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Graduate School - Cleveland State University
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Epilepsy and Clinic Neurophysiology
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Training Program
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York, NY USA
Residency - Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY USA
Internship - Newton-Wellesley Hospital
Newton Lower Falls, MA USA
Medical Education - University of Athens Faculty of Medicine, National & Kapodistrian
Medical Education - National & Kapodistrian Univeristy of Athens
- Consortium of Eastern Ohio Master of Public Health (degree awarded by Cleveland State University)
- Dr. Alexopoulos is principal investigator or co-investigator of several research trials. His research has been published in leading peer-reviewed journals, and he has contributed numerous chapters to medical textbooks in his field. He has twice received the Cleveland Clinic’s World Class Service Recognition Award.
Dr. Alexopoulos has been the Director of the clinical and research fellowship programs in epilepsy and clinical neurophysiology at the Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Center since 2009. Currently, he is also the Director of the Neurological & Behavioral Sciences year 1 course at the Cleveland Clinic College of Medicine of the Case Western Reserve University.
Dr. Alexopoulos is a member of the American Epilepsy Society, the Society of Neuroscience and the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society, among others. He is a Diplomate of neurology and the subspecialty of clinical neurophysiology of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
- Neurology - Clinical Neurophysiology
- Neurology - Epilepsy
Adult and geriatric epilepsy, seizure manifestations, medical and surgical treatment of seizure disorders, clinical neurophysiology, electroencephalography (EEG), magnetoencephalography (MEG), video-EEG, epilepsy surgery, multimodality non invasive investigations in patients with epilepsy, functional MRI (fMRI), EEG/fMRI, intracranial EEG monitoring for presurgical evaluation, neurostimulation, advancements in noninvasive diagnosis and management of patients with epilepsy
Awards & Honors
- Chief Resident in Neurology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
- Chief Fellow in Epilepsy, Cleveland Clinic
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Mount Sinai Medical Student Council
- Distinction for Honorary Graduation, University of Athens School of Medicine
Innovations & Patents
- Dr. Alexopoulos has been instrumental in establishing the magnetoencephalography (MEG) laboratory at the Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Center. The laboratory, which has been in operation since 2009, provides cutting edge recordings and interpretations of clinical MEG signals in patients with difficult-to-treat epilepsies.
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- Society for Neuroscience
- American Academy of Neurology
- Certified Member of the American Society of Neuroimaging
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 8/30/2018, Dr. Alexopoulos has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
71 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
14 Patient Comments
Reviewed on May 20, 2019
Dr. A. was incredible and thorough and kind and made me feel as though I was in wonderful hands. I felt although I was a knew patient to him, my history was correct and affirmed and first hand. I much appreciated his thoroughness and kindness. He was excellent.
Reviewed on May 13, 2019
we had a great experience. Dr took the time to listen and answer our questions. He was very detail oriented and we appreciated the time he spent with us. We felt like he truly cared.
Reviewed on Mar 14, 2019
Dr. Alexop. takes the time to listen to all my questions and shows a lot of compassion. He is very patience with me.
Reviewed on Mar 11, 2019
I've never had a physician to talk and and explain a specific health issue in such detail or give me so much individual time. I would highly recommend him to others!!!
Reviewed on Mar 11, 2019
Very good experience, Dr. was great spend the time with us to get to know my sons problems.
Reviewed on Feb 20, 2019
Dr.A.is so very personable and caring! He remembers us well and is so kind! He made us feel like family and important...
Reviewed on Jan 28, 2019
Dr Alexopoulis was extremely responsive to our concerns and treated our son, who is non-verbal, with respect and courtesy. He explained fully his thoughts in regard to our son's recent seizure and proposed changes in his medication. He listened to all of our concerns and we were extremely satisfied with our meeting with him.
Reviewed on Jan 14, 2019
The visit with Dr Alexopoulos was very pleasant. I felt very comfortable discussing my past medical history and felt the Doctor listened with concern and compassion. He offered explanations in a way I could understand.
Reviewed on Jan 7, 2019
The doctor was very nice and friendly and always explained everything in a good way,.
Reviewed on Dec 24, 2018
*Dr. Alexopoulos was so great. He has a sense of humor that put me at ease and made sure to listen to what my mom and I were concerned with.
Reviewed on Oct 15, 2018
*Dr. Alexopoulos was excellent, as were consulting groups stroke team, endocrinology.
Reviewed on Oct 2, 2018
The best doctor! I have been missing diagnosed for 2 years. Dr Alexopolous figured out my seizureschedule after listening to me for 3 hours. My quality of life is completely better. I can't thank him enough! He is an amazing doctor!
Reviewed on Sep 17, 2018
Dr. Alexopoulos is a fantastic doctor. This appointment, however, he seemed rushed and annoyed with questions I had for him. Hopefully this won't be the case at my 6 month follow-up.
Reviewed on Jul 6, 2018
*Dr. Alexopoulos is very knowledgeable and explained himself well.
© 2019 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.