Treatment & Services
- Behavioral Epilepsy Diagnosis and Management
- Depth Electrode Recordings
- Epilepsy Pharmacotherapy with Call Office
- Epilepsy Surgery Evaluation
- Interpretation of EEG in the critical care setting
- Intracranial EEG monitoring and brain mapping for presurgical evaluation
- Intraoperative Brain Mapping And Monitoring
- Magnetoencephalography (meg)
- Neuroimaging (mri, Pet, Spect, Meg Scans)
- Novel Epilepsy Imaging (PET, SPECT, MEG, fMRI)
- Specialized EEG With Subdural Grids
- Surgery In Brain Malformations
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation
- Video EEG Monitoring
- Wada Test
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Adult Epilepsy
- Benign Focal Epilepsies and Variants
- Brain Malformations Causing Epilepsy
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- Complex Epilepsy in Adults
- First Seizure Assessment
- Geriatric Epilepsy
- Intractable (Drug Resistant) Epilepsy
- Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome
- Malformations Of Cortical Development
- Neurofibromatosis Causing Epilepsy
- Non-epileptic Seizure
- Non-epileptic seizure disorder
- Seizure Manifestations
- Sleep and Epilepsy Issues
- Status Epilepticus (continuous Seizures)
- Traumatic Brain Injury Causing Seizures
- Women's Health And Epilepsy
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Graduate School - Cleveland State University
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Epilepsy and Clinic Neurophysiology
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Training Program
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic Foundation (Ohio)
Cleveland, Oh United States (Archived)
Residency - Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York, NY USA
Residency - Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY USA
Residency - Mount Sinai Medical Center (New York)
New York, NE United States (Archived)
Internship - Newton-Wellesley Hospital
Newton Lower Falls, MA USA
Internship - Newton-Wellesley Hospital (Massachusetts)
Newton Lower Falls, MA United States (Archived)
Medical Education - University of Athens Faculty of Medicine, National & Kapodistrian
Medical Education - Athens University Medical School (Greece)
Athens, Greece (Archived)
Medical Education - National & Kapodistrian Univeristy of Athens
- Consortium of Eastern Ohio Master of Public Health (degree awarded by Cleveland State University)
- Dr. Alexopoulos is principal investigator or co-investigator of several research trials. His research has been published in leading peer-reviewed journals, and he has contributed numerous chapters to medical textbooks in his field. He has twice received the Cleveland Clinic’s World Class Service Recognition Award.
Dr. Alexopoulos has been the Director of the clinical and research fellowship programs in epilepsy and clinical neurophysiology at the Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Center since 2009. Currently, he is also the Director of the Neurological & Behavioral Sciences year 1 course at the Cleveland Clinic College of Medicine of the Case Western Reserve University.
Dr. Alexopoulos is a member of the American Epilepsy Society, the Society of Neuroscience and the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society, among others. He is a Diplomate of neurology and the subspecialty of clinical neurophysiology of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
- Psychiatry and Neurology - Neurology
- Psychiatry and Neurology - Clinical Neurophysiology
- Psychiatry and Neurology - Epilepsy
- - Neurology - General Cert
- - Clinical Neurophysiology - Subspecialty Cert
- - Epilepsy - Subspecialty Cert
Adult and geriatric epilepsy, seizure manifestations, medical and surgical treatment of seizure disorders, clinical neurophysiology, electroencephalography (EEG), magnetoencephalography (MEG), video-EEG, epilepsy surgery, multimodality non invasive investigations in patients with epilepsy, functional MRI (fMRI), EEG/fMRI, intracranial EEG monitoring for presurgical evaluation, neurostimulation, advancements in noninvasive diagnosis and management of patients with epilepsy
Awards & Honors
- Chief Resident in Neurology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
- Chief Fellow in Epilepsy, Cleveland Clinic
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Mount Sinai Medical Student Council
- Distinction for Honorary Graduation, University of Athens School of Medicine
Innovations & Patents
- Dr. Alexopoulos has been instrumental in establishing the magnetoencephalography (MEG) laboratory at the Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Center. The laboratory, which has been in operation since 2009, provides cutting edge recordings and interpretations of clinical MEG signals in patients with difficult-to-treat epilepsies.
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- Society for Neuroscience
- American Academy of Neurology
- Certified Member of the American Society of Neuroimaging
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 9/29/2020, Dr. Alexopoulos has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
59 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
18 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Dec 3, 2020
I could not be happier with my doctor.
Reviewed on Nov 30, 2020
Dr. Alexopoulos was able to accommodate me within a reasonable time and at a time convenient to my schedule.
Reviewed on Nov 12, 2020
Outstanding! Dr. Alexopolous is caring, thorough, analytical and highly skilled. Having him as my doctor is a blessing for me and my wife who cares for me.
Reviewed on Nov 9, 2020
I can't say enough about the dr and staff they are so caring they treat us like family I'm so blessed with such good medical care from them I tell everyone
Reviewed on Nov 5, 2020
totally awesome doctor. he's the best!
Reviewed on Nov 5, 2020
I thought it was a great experience and he was an excellent doctor.
Reviewed on Oct 15, 2020
dr alexopolous went above and beyond any and all expectations to spend time with us he was truly fantastic
Reviewed on Oct 1, 2020
Dr Alexopoulus is a very personable, professional doctor who shows real concern for my problems. I highly recommend for others.
Reviewed on Sep 3, 2020
my only suggestion is for the patient to receive some kind of message that we have successfully connected to the virtual visit while we wait for the provider to join/start the call
Reviewed on Aug 13, 2020
Dr. Alexopoulos is wonderful doctor. I cant express how thankful I have found him. He takes the time to truly listen and find the best options for treatment. He doesn't judge or rush through appointments to get to the next one. He is a 10 out of 10.
Reviewed on Jul 7, 2020
All doctors worked together for my issues.
Reviewed on Jun 18, 2020
very good appointment with Doctor
Reviewed on Jun 1, 2020
The time and insights Dr. Andreapolous gave us was far beyond expectations and as or more attentive than any of the highly respected physicians we've treated with in the past.
Reviewed on May 11, 2020
Dr Alexapolous explains all the options and talks us through what we want to do
Reviewed on May 7, 2020
We are truly fortunate to have Dr. Alexopolous for my care.
Reviewed on Apr 27, 2020
Because Dr. Alex knows me so well, this apt. Went far better than I would Have expected. Answered all questions and asked the questions that needed asking. He is an exceptional physician.
Reviewed on Apr 2, 2020
I am so fortunate to have Dr. Andreas Alexopoulos as my neurologist and care provider. He is truly amazing at what he does. I could not ask for a better doctor. Thank you!
Reviewed on Mar 19, 2020
Dr Alexopoulos is always kind and caring. He is thorough, listens, and provides wonderful care. I would highly recommend him.
© 2021 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.