Treatment & Services
- Behavioral Epilepsy Diagnosis and Management
- Depth Electrode Recordings
- Epilepsy Pharmacotherapy with Call Office
- Epilepsy Surgery Evaluation
- Interpretation of EEG in the critical care setting
- Intracranial EEG monitoring and brain mapping for presurgical evaluation
- Intraoperative Brain Mapping And Monitoring
- Magnetoencephalography (meg)
- Neuroimaging (mri, Pet, Spect, Meg Scans)
- Novel Epilepsy Imaging (PET, SPECT, MEG, fMRI)
- Specialized EEG With Subdural Grids
- Surgery In Brain Malformations
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation
- Video EEG Monitoring
- Wada Test
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Adult Epilepsy
- Benign Focal Epilepsies and Variants
- Brain Malformations Causing Epilepsy
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- Complex Epilepsy in Adults
- First Seizure Assessment
- Geriatric Epilepsy
- Intractable (Drug Resistant) Epilepsy
- Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome
- Malformations Of Cortical Development
- Neurofibromatosis Causing Epilepsy
- Non-epileptic Seizure
- Non-epileptic seizure disorder
- Seizure Manifestations
- Sleep and Epilepsy Issues
- Status Epilepticus (continuous Seizures)
- Traumatic Brain Injury Causing Seizures
- Women's Health And Epilepsy
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Graduate - Cleveland State University
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Epilepsy and Clinic Neurophysiology
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York, NY USA
Internship - Newton-Wellesley Hospital
Newton, MA USA
Medical School - University of Athens Faculty of Medicine, National & Kapodistrian
- Consortium of Eastern Ohio Master of Public Health (degree awarded by Cleveland State University)
- Dr. Alexopoulos is principal investigator or co-investigator of several research trials. His research has been published in leading peer-reviewed journals, and he has contributed numerous chapters to medical textbooks in his field. He has twice received the Cleveland Clinic’s World Class Service Recognition Award.
Dr. Alexopoulos has been the Director of the clinical and research fellowship programs in epilepsy and clinical neurophysiology at the Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Center since 2009. Currently, he is also the Director of the Neurological & Behavioral Sciences year 1 course at the Cleveland Clinic College of Medicine of the Case Western Reserve University.
Dr. Alexopoulos is a member of the American Epilepsy Society, the Society of Neuroscience and the American Clinical Neurophysiology Society, among others. He is a Diplomate of neurology and the subspecialty of clinical neurophysiology of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
- Neurology - Clinical Neurophysiology
- Neurology - Epilepsy
Adult and geriatric epilepsy, seizure manifestations, medical and surgical treatment of seizure disorders, clinical neurophysiology, electroencephalography (EEG), magnetoencephalography (MEG), video-EEG, epilepsy surgery, multimodality non invasive investigations in patients with epilepsy, functional MRI (fMRI), EEG/fMRI, intracranial EEG monitoring for presurgical evaluation, neurostimulation, advancements in noninvasive diagnosis and management of patients with epilepsy
Awards & Honors
- Chief Resident in Neurology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
- Chief Fellow in Epilepsy, Cleveland Clinic
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Mount Sinai Medical Student Council
- Distinction for Honorary Graduation, University of Athens School of Medicine
Innovations & Patents
- Dr. Alexopoulos has been instrumental in establishing the magnetoencephalography (MEG) laboratory at the Cleveland Clinic Epilepsy Center. The laboratory, which has been in operation since 2009, provides cutting edge recordings and interpretations of clinical MEG signals in patients with difficult-to-treat epilepsies.
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- Society for Neuroscience
- American Academy of Neurology
- Certified Member of the American Society of Neuroimaging
Research & Publications
As of 9/22/2017, Dr. Alexopoulos has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
46 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||5|
|Knows Medical History||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
6 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Sep 28, 2017
He was very informative and great with answering questions.
Reviewed on Sep 5, 2017
Dr. Alexopoulus was amazing.
Reviewed on Jun 20, 2017
He explained and gave very explicit instructions on changes he wanted to make. He also explained what he hoed to achieve with the changes.
Reviewed on Apr 10, 2017
Left knowing that I was at the best place ever for care, and was informed every step of the way.
Reviewed on Mar 23, 2017
As stated earlier. Dr. Alexopolous takes as much time as needed so that I feel that I have had all my questions answered and the best care given when I leave
Reviewed on Dec 15, 2016
Dr. Alexopolous was so amazing to my Mom and I! He has a great bedside manner and I can'[t wait till my next appt. w/him!
© 2017 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.