Treatment & Services
- Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease, Surgery
- Adult Congenital Heart Surgery
- Advanced Ischemic Heart Disease Center
- Aorta Graft
- Aorta Surgery
- Aortic Dissection
- Aortic Valve Repair
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Graft
- Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts
- Atherosclerosis Surgery
- Atrial Septal Defect Closure
- Bypass Surgery
- Bypass Surgery Re-operation
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery Department
- Complex Aorta Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (cabg) Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Coronary Artery Reoperation
- ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation)
- Endovascular Aorta Treatment - Thoracic
- Heart Surgery
- Heart Surgery Reoperation
- Heart Valve Disease - Percutaneous Interventions
- Heart Valve Repair and Replacement
- Heart Valve Surgery
- High Risk Reoperation Surgery
- Infective Endocarditis Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Aortic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiovascular Surgeries
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Mitral Valve Replacement
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Modified David's Reimplantation Procedure
- Off Pump Bypass Surgery
- Off Pump Coronary Artery Bypass (OPCAB)
- Off Pump Coronary Bypass Operations
- Off Pump Heart Surgery
- Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Percutaneous Valve Treatment
- Pericardial Window
- Pericardium Surgery
- Radial Artery and Saphenous Vein Harvesting
- Reoperation Valve Surgery
- Reoperative Heart Surgery
- Repair Of Aortic Aneurysms And Dissections
- Repair of Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Dissections
- Surgery for Infective Endocarditis
- Surgery for Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm
- Surgical Ablation Of Atrial Fibrillation
- Surgical Procedures for Atrial Fibrillation
- Surgical Treatment Of Adult Acquired Heart Disease
- Surgical Treatment Of Thoracic And Cardiovascular Disease
- Surgical Treatment Of Valve Endocarditis
- Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Section
- Thoracoscopic Surgery
- Tricuspid Valve Repair
- Tricuspid Valve Replacement
- Tricuspid Valve Surgery
- Valve Sparing Method
- Valve Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Acquired Adult Cardiac Disease
- Acquired Valve Disease
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Advanced Ischemic Heart Disease
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Aortic Insufficiency
- Aortic Regurgitation
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Aortic Valve Regurgitation
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Atrial Septal Defects
- Coarctation Of The Aorta
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Dissection Of The Aorta
- Heart Valve Disease
- Infective Endocarditis
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Mitral Valve Regurgitation
- Mitral Valve Stenosis
- Pericardial Effusion
- Pulmonic Regurgitation
- Pulmonic Stenosis
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm
- Tricuspid Regurgitation
- Tricuspid Stenosis
- Tricuspid Valve Disease
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX USA
Residency - Mayo Graduate School of Medicine
Rochester, MN USA
Internship - Cambridge University School of Medicine
England, United Kingdom
Medical Education - Cambridge University School of Medicine
England, United Kingdom
Undergraduate - Trinity College, University of Cambridge
- Surgery - General Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery - Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
Coronary artery bypass, Valvular heart disease including minimal access surgery and TAVR, Aortic disease, Endocarditis, and Cardiac reoperations
Awards & Honors
- 2015: Outstanding Service Award, The Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor college of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- 2015: Distinguished Service Award, The Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine
- 2015+2014: Top Doctor, Houstonia Magazine
- 2014: The Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education (TSFRE), Alley Sheridan Scholarship
- 2010: Educational Scholarship Recognition Award: 6th Annual Baylor College of Medicine Academy of Distinguished Educators Showcase of Educational Scholarship
- 2009: Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Faculty Excellence Award, Category of Teaching and Evaluation, Baylor College of Medicine
- 2009: Molecular Surgeon Research Achievement Award, In recognition of research and academic achievements at the Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery
- 2009: Certificate of Excellence, Clinical Practice Office, The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, for exemplary practice
- 2008: Patriotic Employer, The National Committee for Employer Support of The Guard and Reserve, in recognition of support and mentorship of the guard reserve
- 2007: The City of Houston Appreciation Certificate-Mayor Bill White, awarded in recognition of service to Houstonian patients and outstanding patient care and outcomes
- 2000: The Nygaard Award, Mayo Clinic, awarded for excellence in surgical research
- 1992: Cambridge University, England, United Kingdom Honors, awarded for higher tier graduates
- 1987: King Hussein of Jordan Scholarship, awarded for Jordan’s top performance in the British University Entrance Exams
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 1/31/2022, Dr. Bakaeen has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
113 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||5|
14 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Feb 9, 2022
Dr Bakeen saved my life. He gave me another chance to watch my kids grow and spend my life with my loving wife.
Reviewed on Feb 1, 2022
Updates by doctors and nurse/practitioners were very reassuring and made me more comfortable.
Reviewed on Dec 20, 2021
Overall great visit. Dr able to view cat results within minutes.
Reviewed on Dec 14, 2021
Was extremely pleased with the thoroughness and cooperation among the doctors and staff.
Reviewed on Nov 1, 2021
My surgeon, *Dr. Faisal Bakeen, was an excellent dr. I can't say enough good things about him.
Reviewed on Aug 25, 2021
I can't put into words how much my doctor means to me. The care I have received has been amazing. I love them all.
Reviewed on Aug 13, 2021
Excellent interaction with Dr Bakaeen's office
Reviewed on Aug 13, 2021
Dr Bakaeen spent as much time as we needed discussing the surgery
Reviewed on Aug 10, 2021
*Dr. Bakaeen is an excellent doctor. I appreciate him working to get better tests to diagnose my condition.
Reviewed on Jul 20, 2021
*Dr. Bakaeen & *Dr. Bruemmer are outstanding physicians.
Reviewed on Jul 7, 2021
Dr. Bakaeen I would highly recommend for anyone. My outcome has been bette rthan I expected
Reviewed on Jul 1, 2021
Dr. Bakeen and his staff were very helpful, pleasant and professional throughout a very complicated surgery and followup. He even helped us find and get a same day visit with a specialist surgeon at another institution. My husband Is a physician and he tells everyone that if you need complicated cardiac or vascular surgery, Cleveland Clinic is the place to go.
Reviewed on May 11, 2021
I gained little out of the time or expense of the Zoom call with Dr. Bakaeen. The call was basically non-productive and it appeared that Dr. Bakaeen was not prepared and unfamiliar with photographs sent through the Zoom call registration portal.
Reviewed on May 10, 2021
Surgeon was *Dr. Bakaeen - he was wonderful! His team was also.
© 2022 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.