Treatment & Services
- Aortic Dissection
- Aortic Valve Repair
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts
- Atherosclerosis Surgery
- Atrial Septal Defect Closure
- Bypass Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery Department
- Complex Aorta Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (cabg) Surgery
- Coronary Artery Reoperation
- David Procedure
- David Reimplantation Operation
- ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation)
- Endovascular Aorta Treatment - Thoracic
- Heart Surgery for Marfan Syndrome
- Heart Surgery Reoperation
- Heart Valve Disease - Percutaneous Interventions
- Heart Valve Surgery
- High Risk Reoperation Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Aortic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiovascular Surgeries
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
- Mitral Valve Replacement
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Modified David's Reimplantation Procedure
- Off Pump Bypass Surgery
- Percutaneous Valve Treatment
- Pericardial Window
- Pericardium Surgery
- Radial Artery and Saphenous Vein Harvesting
- Removal of Atrial Myxoma
- Removal of Cardiac Tumors
- Reoperation Valve Surgery
- Repair Of Aortic Aneurysms And Dissections
- Surgery for Infective Endocarditis
- Surgery for Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm
- Surgical Ablation Of Atrial Fibrillation
- Surgical Procedures for Atrial Fibrillation
- Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Section
- Thoracoscopic Surgery
- Tricuspid Valve Repair
- Tricuspid Valve Replacement
- Valve Sparing Method
- Valve Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Aortic Regurgitation
- Aortic Stenosis
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Atrial Septal Defects
- Coarctation Of The Aorta
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Heart Valve Disease
- Infective Endocarditis
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Mitral Valve Regurgitation
- Mitral Valve Stenosis
- Pericardial Effusion
- Pulmonic Regurgitation
- Pulmonic Stenosis
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm
- Tricuspid Regurgitation
- Tricuspid Stenosis
- Tricuspid Valve Disease
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX USA
Residency - Mayo Graduate School of Medicine
Rochester, MN USA
Internship - Cambridge University School of Medicine
England, United Kingdom
Medical School - Cambridge University School of Medicine
England, United Kingdom
Undergraduate - Trinity College, University of Cambridge
- Thoracic & Cardiac Surgery
Coronary artery bypass, Valvular heart disease including minimal access surgery and TAVR, Aortic disease, Endocarditis, and Cardiac reoperations
Awards & Honors
- 2015: Outstanding Service Award, The Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor college of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- 2015: Distinguished Service Award, The Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine
- 2015+2014: Top Doctor, Houstonia Magazine
- 2014: The Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education (TSFRE), Alley Sheridan Scholarship
- 2010: Educational Scholarship Recognition Award: 6th Annual Baylor College of Medicine Academy of Distinguished Educators Showcase of Educational Scholarship
- 2009: Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Faculty Excellence Award, Category of Teaching and Evaluation, Baylor College of Medicine
- 2009: Molecular Surgeon Research Achievement Award, In recognition of research and academic achievements at the Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery
- 2009: Certificate of Excellence, Clinical Practice Office, The Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center, for exemplary practice
- 2008: Patriotic Employer, The National Committee for Employer Support of The Guard and Reserve, in recognition of support and mentorship of the guard reserve
- 2007: The City of Houston Appreciation Certificate-Mayor Bill White, awarded in recognition of service to Houstonian patients and outstanding patient care and outcomes
- 2000: The Nygaard Award, Mayo Clinic, awarded for excellence in surgical research
- 1992: Cambridge University, England, United Kingdom Honors, awarded for higher tier graduates
- 1987: King Hussein of Jordan Scholarship, awarded for Jordan’s top performance in the British University Entrance Exams
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 3/29/2018, Dr. Bakaeen has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
87 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.7|
|Knows Medical History||4.6|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.3|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
5 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Mar 7, 2018
I would like to acknowledge *Dr. Susan Rehm for going above and beyond in my care.
Reviewed on Feb 7, 2018
*Dr. Eke & *Dr. Bakaeen were wonderful!
Reviewed on Feb 6, 2018
Good by was a 0 on 1-10 scale.
Reviewed on Nov 15, 2017
Best hospital experiences of my life from assessment -> treatment -> discharge, saved my life.
Reviewed on Oct 1, 2017
I was overwhelmed by the care everyone gave me - they are special & have always been pleasant.
© 2018 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.