Treatment & Services
- 2nd Opinion Evaluations
- Abdominal Surgery
- Achalasia: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Bariatric Operations
- Bariatric Surgery
- Esophageal Cancer
- Esophageal Motility Testing
- Esophageal Surgery
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Gastric Bypass Surgery for Weight Loss
- Gastric Bypass Surgery with Focus on Reflux Disease
- Gastric Sleeve
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Hernia Surgery
- Hiatal Hernia
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery
- Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Metabolic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Nutritional Management After Bariatric Surgery
- Revision Surgery
- Stomach Surgery
- Weight Loss Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Hernia
- Abdominal Pain
- Bile Duct Stones
- Cancer - Esophagus
- Cancer - Gastric
- Diaphragm Hernia
- Esophageal Cancer
- Esophageal Motility Disorders
- Gallbladder Disease
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Hiatal Hernia
- Hiatel Hernia
- Inguinal Hernia
- Median Arcuate Ligament Syndrome
- Ventral Hernia
Is Cleveland Clinic Florida Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Florida locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Residency - Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY USA
Residency - Beth Israel Medical Center
New York, NY USA
Medical Education - Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Los Angeles, CA USA
Fellowship - Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Los Angeles, CA USA
Residency - Johann Wolfgang Goethe University
Internship - Johann Wolfgang Goethe University
Internship - Provincial Hospital Rosario
Medical Education - University of Medicine of Rosario
- Chairman, Department of General Surgery
- DIrector, General Surgery Residency Program
- Director, The Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL
- Director, Minimally Invasive and Advanced GI Surgery Fellowship Program Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL
- Past President, South Florida Chapter, American College of Surgeons
- Past President, The Fellowship Council
- Surgery - General Surgery
Bariatric surgery, flexible endoscopy, gastroparesis, metabolic surgery, minimally invasive surgery, surgery for achalasia, surgery for diverticulosis, surgery for gastroesophageal reflux (GERD), surgery for hiatal hernias, surgery for esophageal cancer, surgery for gastric cancer
Awards & Honors
- America's Best Doctors, 2008, 2009
- Aesculap Award, SAGES and 5th World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery. Philadelphia, PA. March 1996. "Pneumoperitoneum related changes in intracranial pressure. Observations in the large animal model."
- David Dreilling Award, Department of Surgery, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine. "Best Academic Achievement, 1999"
- SAGES Award Best Poster Presentation. SAGES and 10th World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery. New York, New York. April 2002 "Effects of intracranial hypertension on splachnic circulation. Observations in the large animal model."
- Eduardo Schiepatti's award. Best poster presentation. 74th Congress of the Argentinian Society of Surgery. "Laparoscopic gastric bypass at Cleveland Clinic Florida"
- Director, Learning Center at the World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery. Cancun Mexico, 2004
- Director, Postgraduate Course on Obesity. Annual Meeting of the Argentinian Society of Surgery. Buenos Aires, Argentina. November 2003
- Chair, Video Session Program. SAGES, 2007, Las Vegas
- Honorary Member, Association of Minimally Invasive Surgeons of India. 2006
- Moderator, SAGES Bariatric Session. April 12, 2008, Philadelphia
- Co-Chair, SAGES / Fellowship Council Session, April 12, 2008, Philadelphia
- Honorary Member, German Society of Visceral Surgeons, Berlin, April 2008
- Honorary Member Peruvian, Bolivian, and Indian society of Surgeons.
- American College of Surgeons
- American Surgical Association
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons
- German Society of Surgeons
- Argentinean Society of Surgeons
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 2/10/2020, Dr. Rosenthal has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Rosenthal receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- Diagnostic Green, LLC
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
140 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
9 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Aug 7, 2020
Dr. Rosenthal is always friendly, attentive, and caring. He explained the bariatric surgery procedure and recommended a procedure based on my health conditions. I left the office satisfied that all my questions were answered and my mind was at ease with making my surgery decision.
Reviewed on Jul 14, 2020
care was excellent & surgeon explained why I should see an oncologist since my primary purpose is follow-up observation for surgery of 5/30/17.only exception to my good experience was the department couldn't find key records (operative report, pathology) which had been faxed to them at least a week earlier and marked att: Raul Rosenthal MD". So they had to contact Hackensack University Medical Center and ask to have them sent again, delaying my seeing Dr Rosenthal. suggestion: communication glitch needs to be addressed & possibly procedurally amended, particularly when a new patient takes the trouble to anticipate your receiving all pertinent information.
Reviewed on Jul 10, 2020
I was able to get a proper consult with Dr. Rosenthal for my next steps. I moved to the Tampa Bay area 8 years ago. I need bariatric related surgery. No cleveland Clinic satellite here, so I will need to seek out a surgeon here. I know exactly what to discuss now.
Reviewed on Mar 10, 2020
Both the fellowship physician and attending were extremely kind. They listened and responded with appropriate courtesy and kindness
Reviewed on Mar 3, 2020
IT'S A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE COMING TO DR RAUL ROSENTHAL OFFICE. HE'S THE BEST!
Reviewed on Jan 28, 2020
before I even got home from the doctor who spoke to dr Rosenthal, I had a phone message at home with an appointment
Reviewed on Oct 22, 2019
From the initial phone call to seeing the physician, to getting surgery booked, the entire staff was very helpful, responsive and efficient.
Reviewed on Oct 11, 2019
Dr. Rosenthal listen to me carefully as we discussed various options. He shared his professionalism it was a pleasure to work with.
Reviewed on Sep 17, 2019
very good. Dr Rosenthal & his associate were easy to speak to, answered all questions & were very helpful.
© 2020 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.