Treatment & Services
- Department of Pediatric Surgery
- Evaluation/Treatment of Antenatally Diagnosed Congenital Anomalies
- Evaluation/Treatment of Pulmonary Sequestration / CCAM
- Fetal Surgery
- Fundoplication Procedure for Children
- GERD Surgery
- High Risk Pregnancy Care
- Laparoscopic Anti-Reflux Surgery
- Mediastinal Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgeries
- Nissen Fundoplication
- Nuss Procedure / Minimally Invasive Repair of Pectus Excavatum
- Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery (VATS)
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Pain
- Antenatally Diagnosed Anomalies
- Birth Defects
- Chiari Malformation
- Congenital Anomalies
- Congenital Cystic Adenomatoid Malformation of the Lung (CCAM)
- Duodenal Atresia
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Gastrointestinal Tract
- Germ Cell Tumors
- Hiatal Hernia
- Hirschsprung's Disease
- Malrotation of Intestine
- Mediastinal Tumor
- Necrotizing Enterocolitis
- Ovarian Cysts
- Pectus Carinatum
- Pectus Excavatum
- Pediatric Neonatal Disorders
- Pediatric Rare Cancer and Blood Disease Program
- Pulmonary Nodules
- Pulmonary Sequestration
- Short Bowel Syndrome
- Short Bowel Syndrome in Children
- Testicular Torsion
- Thyroid Nodule
- Tracheoesophageal Fistula
- Undescended Testicles
- Vascular Malformations
- Von Hippel-Lindau Disease (VHL)
- Wilms' Tumor
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX USA
Fellowship - Texas Children's Hospital
Houston, TX USA
Residency - University of California San Francisco Medical Center
San Francisco, CA USA
Medical Education - David Geffen School of Medicine @ UCLA
Los Angeles, CA USA
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Fetal Surgery and Fetal Wound Healing Research: University of California, San Francisco 1994-1994, and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 1995-1997
- Executive Board, North American Fetal Treatment Network
- Surgical Director of Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Texas Children's Hospital
- Chair, Program Committee, International Fetal Medicine and Surgery Society
- Surgery - Pediatric Surgery
- Surgery - General Surgery
Fetal Surgery, Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia, CCAM, Congenital Lung Malformations
Awards & Honors
- Valedictorian, Agoura High School, Agoura Hills, CA, 1982
- Los Angeles County Medical Association Scholarship, Los Angeles, CA, 1982
- Varsity Letterman Stanford University Baseball Team, 1982-1986
- Borun and Church Scholarships, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, 1986-1991
- Alpha Omega Alpha, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, 1990
- Juvenile Diabetes Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, 1995
- Best paper, American College of Surgeons, South Texas Chapter, 2000, 2001
- Vandenberge-Storz Award for best paper by a young investigator, International Fetal Medicine and SurgerySociety, 2001
- Lyndon Baines Johnson Research Award, American Heart Association, Texas Affiliate, 2003
- Molecular Surgeon Research Achievement Award, Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College ofMedicine, 2003
- H Magazine, 2009, 2015
- "Our Best Doctors,” Houstonia Magazine, 2013
- Best Doctor in America, 2006-2018
- "Year Best", Houston Medical Journal, 2008
- "Top Doctor,” US News and World Report, 2012
- "Top Doctor," Houstonia Magazine 2017
- "Best of the Best," Houston Chronicle, 2016 (awardedto small number of doctors and 2 pediatric surgeons in Houston)
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, Surgical Section, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Member, International Fetal Medicine and Surgery Society
- Member, American Pediatric Surgical Association
- Member, Society of University Surgeons
- Member, Association for Academic Surgery
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 12/20/2022, Dr. Cass has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
46 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||5|
12 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Oct 16, 2023
Dr.Cass is amazing! We both felt he was very attentive and listened to us and our concerns. He explained everything so well and we left feeling good and hopeful about our daughter's health.
Reviewed on Sep 11, 2023
It took a couple of months to actually get an appointment. I had called the appointment line a few times and was even told to expect a call back that never happened. Finally, a month later, I connected with the appointment like again and was able to easily schedule an appointment with Dr. Cass
Reviewed on Jul 12, 2023
Dr. Cass will forever be a hero in our eyes. He saved our sons life and always makes sure we understand everything going on. I recommend CCF to everyone I know, especially Cass.
Reviewed on Apr 28, 2023
Dr. Cass was amazing. He included his cell phone on his card in case we needed it. We ended up needing to text him and he responded quickly and with reassurance. He is wonderful.
Reviewed on Mar 22, 2023
Dr. Cass was amazing and very informative
Reviewed on Mar 17, 2023
Doctor Cass provided a crucial moment in our pregnancy. He explained things clearly, looked us in the eyes, cared about how we were reacting, and made sure we left feeling perfectly confident. I can't express just how much this interaction meant to us.
Reviewed on Mar 17, 2023
Dr. Cass is an extraordinary doctor!
Reviewed on Jan 30, 2023
Dr Cass was very kind and explained all the possibilities and options very well!!
Reviewed on Jan 13, 2023
Dr. Cass and his team were thorough and very knowledgeable! Excellent care to our son
Reviewed on Jan 13, 2023
Very well the nurses the Dr explained all to me in detail
Reviewed on Jan 13, 2023
Very good the DR EVEN SPOKE SPANISH to us he explained in detail all the procedure
Reviewed on Jan 12, 2023
Great staff, and Dr. Cass is a great doctor! I have no complaints but continue to supply the same service to all patients!!
© 2023 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.