Treatment & Services
- Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Anorectal Fistula Treatment
- Anorectal Surgery
- Artificial Bowel Sphincter
- Cancer Center
- Clinical Trials
- Colon And Rectal Surgical Procedures
- Consultation for Complicated Colon and Rectal Disease
- Contact Radiotherapy
- Continent Ileostomy
- Hemorrhoid Arterial Ligation
- Ileoanal Pouch
- Inherited Colon Cancer Risk Assessment
- J Pouch
- Laparoscopic Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Laparoscopic J-pouch Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Colorectal Surgery
- Pelvic Pouch Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis
- Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Rectal Ultrasound
- Re-Do Rectal Surgery
- Reoperative Abdominal Surgery
- Reoperative Pelvic Surgery
- Resection of Colon and Rectal Diseases
- Rubber Band Ligation Of Hemorrhoids
- Sphincter Sparing Surgery
- Surgery For Crohn's Disease
- Surgery for Fecal Incontinence
- Surgery for Pilonidal Cyst
- Surgery for Rectal Prolapse
- Surgery for Rectovaginal Fistula
- Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM)
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Anal Abscesses
- Anal Cancer
- Anal Fissures
- Anal Fistula
- Bowel Incontinence
- Collagenous Colitis
- Colon Polyps
- Colorectal Cancer
- Crohn's Disease
- Duodenal Polyps
- Enterocutaneious Fistula
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
- Female Incontinence
- Functional Disorders
- Genital Warts
- Hereditary Non Polyposis Colorectal Cancer
- Hirschsprung's Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Intestinal Ischemic Syndrome
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Large Intestine Cancer
- Necrotizing Fasciitis
- Pelvic Disorders
- Perianal Ulcer
- Peutz- Jeghers Syndrome
- Pilonidal Cyst
- Proctitis - Care & Treatment
- Rectal Abscess
- Rectal Prolapse
- Rectal Vaginal Fistula
- Small Intestine Cancer
- Ulcerative Colitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Georgia Colorectal Clinic
Atlanta, GA USA
Residency - Albany Medical Center
Albany, NY USA
Medical School - State University of New York Upstate Medical University
Syracuse, NY USA
Undergraduate - University of Scranton
Scranton, PA USA
- Board Certified in General and Colorectal Surgery
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
Awards & Honors
- Honors and Awards:Deans List 1992-1996
- Howard Hughes Research Grant 1994
- Howard Hughes Summer Stipend 1995
- Who's Who of American Universities 1993-1996
- Magna Cum Laude, Graduated with Honors in Biology 1996
- University of Scranton Annual Morris Albert Research Award 2003, 2004, 2005
- Albany Medical Center, Best Paper and Presentation "Outcome of Discharge within 48 hours of Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery" ASCRS 2007
- Best Doctors 2011-2016
- Who's Who of Physicians 2011-2016
- America's Top Surgeons 2010-2016
- Cleveland Magazine Best Doctors 2011-2016
- Honorary Professor of Surgery: University of Lima 2012
- Midwest Surgical Association Best Paper Award for best oral presentation. Extraction site incision and incisional hernias after laparoscopic colorectal surgery: Should we be avoiding the midline? Champagne BJ et al
- ASCRS Traveling Fellow Award- HRA vs Expectant Management for AIN 3” Crawshaw B, Champagne BJ et al. ASCRS 2014- Hollywood, Florida, Best Manuscript.
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 12/4/2018, Dr. Champagne has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
167 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.8|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.7|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
14 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Dec 18, 2018
my whole experience with Dr Champagn and his office staff has been a pleasure
Reviewed on Dec 3, 2018
Attitude and skill level of the physician was very good.
Reviewed on Nov 27, 2018
I liked rhe way how things have been explained to me . I understand every right away and was told about potential risks as well.i have the feeling to be in good hands and have absolut no doubt that the Doctor will help me to solve my problem,
Reviewed on Nov 27, 2018
Good Experience, Would recommend Doctor to friends and family.
Reviewed on Oct 5, 2018
Dr Champagne is legitimately concerned with my health and recovery. I believe he will advise me on the best options to choose forgoing term success. he is easy to understand and takes time with me. it's not just a job for him. he cares about me.
Reviewed on Sep 26, 2018
Dr. Champagne is a great doctor, with a great bedside manner and always goes the extra mile to make sure you are taken care of professionally and in a timely manner.
Reviewed on Sep 18, 2018
Dr. Champagne was very nice.
Reviewed on Sep 10, 2018
*Dr. Champagne is the finest doctor I have ever known.
Reviewed on Sep 4, 2018
Doctor and intern made me feel comfortable in an awkward situation. Thanks.
Reviewed on Sep 4, 2018
Left after an hour with no follow-up from staff or doctor.
Reviewed on Jun 12, 2018
I felt I was slightly rushed during this appointment. I was given news which I needed time to review and absorb and felt that once I said something it appeared to the physician it was my final decision....yet I was taken aback by the information. Upon reflection and time the decision will be reviewed with the recommending physician and I can proceed with treatment. Dr. Champagne is an absolutely wonderful surgeon...courteous, kind, excellent bedside manner and most of all - which I feel is needed in the medical community- is the sense of touch....he patted my arm and hand, graciously escorted me to the door...these to me are very personal courtesies which I like and felt treated as a human being....I just wished I could have talked with him a bit longer.
Reviewed on May 29, 2018
This dr. - *Dr. Champagne is the ONLY doctor I feel has had my best interest at heart. He is a fantastic surgeon and seems to care very very much about the pain I have endured. I wish I had had time to explain a bit more of my symptoms to him, but I was so excited about his referral to a surgeon that may finally help me I forgot to ask him some of my other concerns. But he is the very best dr. I have ever had - and I have had A LOT! *Dr. Champagne is the very very best!
Reviewed on May 1, 2018
waited an hour to see the doctor and I was the first appointment
Reviewed on Mar 27, 2018
Dr Champagne worked me in for surgery the next day because he knew I was in misery. ive never had a doctor go out of his way for me like that. Honestly, I was flabergasted. Im home now and recovering nicely!! It's nice to know that there are doctors out there who still truly care. I even had some questions regarding my recovery after the surgery sent a message to their office through my my chart account and was answered within 24 hours thanks so much
© 2019 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.