Treatment & Services
- Advanced Imaging Techniques
- Argon Plasma Coagulation (APC)
- Balloon-assisted Enteroscopy (Single and Double)
- Biliary And Pancreatic Stone Therapy
- Cancer Center
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Colonic Manometry
- Deep Enteroscopy
- Diagnostic Endoscopy
- Double Balloon Enteroscopy
- Endoscopic Cancer Therapy
- Endoscopic Mucosal Ablative and Resection Techniques
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography
- Endoscopic Therapy Of Anastamotic And Crohn's Disease Strictures
- Endoscopic Treatment Of Strictures
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- Endoscopic Ultrasound-guided Celiac Block
- Enteral Stent Placement
- Esophageal Band Ligation
- Esophageal Dilation
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Foreign Body Removal
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal Exams
- Interventional Endoscopy
- Pancreaticobiliary Endoscopy
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Wireless Capsule Endoscopy
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Bile Duct Cancer
- Bile Duct Diseases
- Bile Duct Obstruction
- Bile Duct Stones
- Colon Polyps
- Diseases of the Liver Biliary Tract and Pancreas
- Duodenal Polyps
- Esophageal Cancer
- Gallbladder & Biliary Tract Disease
- Gallbladder Disease
- General Gastroenterological Disorders
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Pancreatic Disease
- Pancreatic Stones
- Small Bowel Disease
- Stomach Cancer
- Strictures Of The Gi Tract
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Montefiore Hospital/Univ. Health Center of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Medical School - University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Rochester, NY USA
Undergraduate - University of Rochester
Rochester, NY USA
Graduate - Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH USA
- Master of Public Health, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 2003
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Career Development Award, 2003
- Internal Medicine
advanced endoscopy, advanced imaging techniques, biliary tract disease, Capsule Endoscopy, Colonoscopy, CRCP, deep enteroscopy, deep enteroscopy and interventional endoscopy, Diagnostic and therapeutic EGD (upper endoscopy) and colonoscopy, diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy, diagnostic/therapeutic endoscopy, diseases of the small bowel, double balloon enteroscopy, Double Balloon Enteroscopy i.e DBE ( Antegrade & Retrograde ) and Wireless Capsule Endoscopy, EMR, endoscopic mucosal ablative and resection techniques, Endoscopic Ultrasonography, Endoscopic Ultrasound, Endoscopy, Endoscopic cancer therapy, ERCP, Esophageal Cancer, EUS, gastrointestinal endoscopy, general gastroenterology, Pancreatic Cancer, pancreatic disorders, pancreaticobiliary endoscopy, Pancreatitis, stenting, therapeutic endoscopy, Therapeutic endoscopy including difficult colonoscopy and polypectomy
Awards & Honors
- University of Rochester Alumni Scholarship, University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y., 1977-1981
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y., 1980
- Nominated for application, Cecil Rhodes Scholarship, University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y., 1980
- Marshal, commencement exercises, University of Rochester, Rochester, N.Y., 1981
- BA, summa cum laude, University of Rochester, 1981
- Health Professions Scholarship, United States Navy, 1982-1985
- Certificate of Merit, American College of Physicians, 1993
- Letter of Commendation, Office of the Attending Physician, United States Capitol, 1994
- United States Navy Commendation Medal, 1994
- Poster of Distinction Award, Digestive Disease Week for “Nasopharyngeal Versus Transcutaneous Monitoring During ERCP,” 1998
- Poster of Distinction Award, Digestive Disease Week for “Gastroenterologist-Administered Propofol for Therapeutic Upper Endoscopy,” 1999
- Poster of Distinction Award, Digestive Disease Week for “Graphic Display of Respiratory Activity is Superior to Pulse Oximetry and Visual Assessment in the Detection of Respiratory Compromise During Therapeutic Upper Endoscopy,” 1999
- Reviewer citation, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 1999
- Recognized for editorial excellence, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2001
- Teacher of the Year, Department of Gastroenterology, 2002
Innovations & Patents
- Use of capnography for patient monitoring during gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Use of computer-assisted propofol sedation for gastrointestinal endoscopy
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American College of Physicians
- Honorary Fellow, Gastroenterology Society of Ecuador
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 12/9/2018, Dr. Vargo has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
119 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||5|
|Knows Medical History||4.8|
|Time Spent with Patient||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
20 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Mar 21, 2019
Dr Vargo and his staff are excellent! It's so reassuring to have such committed, knowledgeable and personable health care professionals. TRULY!
Reviewed on Feb 4, 2019
Dr Vargo continues to be very concerned about my health and gives me plenty of time to address my questions. My wife is a nurse and has always talked very highly highly of Dr Vargo's patient care.
Reviewed on Jan 16, 2019
being a former coach, I liked where Dr Vargo called his staff together, like a huddle, introduce me, explaining the procedure, made sure everyone knew their responsibility and made sure everyone was understanding and ready to go. a down to earth doctor that was just one part of the TEAM
Reviewed on Dec 11, 2018
I have been very pleased with the care of Dr. Vargo and his staff.
Reviewed on Dec 4, 2018
Everything went well with Dr. Vargo. He probably saved my life. Can't get much better than that.
Reviewed on Nov 19, 2018
the staff for my endoscopy procedure was fantastic. so professional and caring. Dr. Vargo is wonderful,wonderful,. I am so very fortunate to have him as my physician. he has a fantastic way of speaking to his patients. very caring and concerned about his patients. he is the BEST
Reviewed on Oct 29, 2018
Dr Vargo informed me of the plan for my procedure. I also had to ask him for a prescription that my current providers failed to issue thru MyChart requests. follow up care instructions were given to my wife.
Reviewed on Oct 1, 2018
The time I spent with Dr. Vargo and the nurse more than made up for time I had to wait. I was not rushed during my appointment and was given ample time with the doctor dealing with my medical issue. I appreciated the thoroughness of Dr. Vargo and his staff.
Reviewed on Sep 21, 2018
Dr. Vargo has provided exceptional care. I can't thank him enough for taking the time to help me with my health problem.
Reviewed on Sep 10, 2018
After dealing with a medical problem for 22 years that no doctor in WV could explain, Dr Vargo went over my medical records and found the issue and set a plan of action. EXTREMELY pleased not only with his concern for my problem but made me feel valued as a patient. I have never been thanked by a Doctor for my time, until I saw Dr Vargo! I will comtinue to make the 5 hour drive to see him! Best Gastro I have ever seen.
Reviewed on Aug 20, 2018
Dr. Vargo is exactly who I was looking for tohelp me with my health issues. He is invested in helping me figure out my issues and developed a plan.
Reviewed on Aug 10, 2018
It appears that Dr. Vargo does not operate on Thursday, Friday or Monday for out-patient patients. Not much room for a guy who travels every week. Hopefully this will be my last visit.
Reviewed on Jul 30, 2018
I am the luckiest person in the world to have found such an outstanding , caring doctor. I know I am in great hands with my health with Dr. Vargo. Dr. Vargo has a very good way of speaking g to his patients .
Reviewed on Jun 19, 2018
doctor Vargo was awesome he explained everything to me made me feel very comfortable
Reviewed on Jun 18, 2018
I was highly impressed by Dr. Vargo and his Office Personnel. In fact, I found everyone at Cleveland Clinic (from Valet, Office Personnel, Lab Technicians to Dr, Vargo) to be helpful, courteous and pleasant. I was glad I visited Cleveland Clinic regarding my health issue.
Reviewed on May 4, 2018
Dr Vargo and his team could not have been more professional, thorough, empathetic and kind. it was a wonderful experience.
Reviewed on May 4, 2018
The surgical team was amazing. Dr Vargo understood that I had some previous issues and he customized the procedure for me to ensure that he got a good look during my colonoscopy while ensuring my comfort. He used a pediatric scope to get further up and used a different kind of gas and water procedure. He set a tone that was really warm and comforting. The anesthesiologist assistant who handled me was great. He made fun conversation and put me to sleep very slowly. it was the best anesthesiology I had because the time when I was going to sleep was so relaxed and gradual.
Reviewed on Apr 30, 2018
Since this was the first time I had an appointment at the Main Campus, I was very impressed with the organization, respect, and punctuality. Dr. Vargo was awesome and put me at ease about my condition.
Reviewed on Apr 24, 2018
Dr Vargo has been my wife's gastroenterology for the entire time he has been with CCF. He has always taken excellent care of her. I need to be checked for stomach and other issues and he is top notch. He is a strong leader in the procedure room and everyone I spoke with had deep and genuine confidence and respect concerning him. That includes me. I will always request him as will my wife.Ccf is lucky to have someone like him.
Reviewed on Apr 24, 2018
Dr Vargo personally called the evening of my procedure to explain what he had found due to the fact I was just coming out of anesthesia and they had not brought my wife back before he had to perform his next procedure. You can't ask for more than that
© 2019 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.