Treatment & Services
- Aorta Surgery
- Aortic Valve Repair
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Bypass Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery Department
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (cabg) Surgery
- Heart Valve Surgery
- Robotically Assisted Heart Surgery
- Robotically Assisted Mitral Valve Repair
- Valve Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Heart Valve Disease
- Mitral Valve Disease
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Mitral Valve Regurgitation
- Mitral Valve Stenosis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Residency - University of Louisville
Louisville, KY USA
Fellowship - Baylor University Medical Center
Dallas, TX USA
Residency - Baylor University Medical Center
Dallas, TX USA
Medical Education - Georgetown University
Washington, DC USA
Graduate School - Georgetown University
Washington, DC USA
Undergraduate - Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO USA
- Dr. Kourlis has participated in clinical research and coauthored scientific papers published in leading medical and surgical journals, including the American Journal of Cardiology and Annals of Vascular Surgery. He has presented on various heart disease topics, in particular valvular disease and its treatment, at regional meetings of the American College of Surgeons and other professional organizations. He also has guested on several radio talk shows to discuss robotic surgery for mitral valve disease and other heart health topics in layman’s terms.
- Thoracic & Cardiac Surgery
Complex mitral valve repair, tricuspid valve repair, aortic valve surgery, coronary artery bypass
Awards & Honors
- 2008,2009, 2017-2018 Patient's Choice Award, Vitals.com, Voted by patients
2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2017 Compassionate Doctor Recognition, Vitals.com, Voted by patients
2007-2011 Chairman, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery Quality Assurance Committee, Baylor University Medical Center
2004, 2007-2009 “Best Doctors” D Magazine, Voted by peers in the Dallas-Fort Worth region
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Southern Thoracic Surgical Association
Jesse E. Thompson Vascular Surgery Society
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 5/25/2022, Dr. Kourlis, Jr. has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.