Treatment & Services
- Abdominal Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- Advanced Operative Laparoscopy
- Anorectal Fistula Treatment
- Anorectal Surgery
- Cancer Center
- Colon And Rectal Surgical Procedures
- Colon Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer - Prevention
- Colorectal Cancer Diagnosis
- Colorectal Cancer Research
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Strategies
- Colorectal Cancer Treatment
- Colorectal Surgery
- Consultation for Complicated Colon and Rectal Disease
- Fecal Diversion
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Ileoanal Pouch
- Intestinal Stomas
- J Pouch
- Laparoscopic Colectomy
- Laparoscopic Colon Resection
- Laparoscopic Colon Surgery
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Fecal Diversion
- Laparoscopic Ileocolectomy
- Laparoscopic Proctosigmoidectomy
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Digestive Diseases
- Minimally Invasive Colorectal Surgery
- Ostomy Reversal and Creation
- Pelvic J-pouch Creation
- Pouch Center
- Rectum Reoperative Abdominopelvic Surgery
- Re-Do Rectal Surgery
- Reoperative Abdominal and Pelvic Surgery
- Reoperative Abdominal Surgery
- Reoperative Pelvic Surgery
- Reoperative Surgery
- Resection of Colon and Rectal Diseases
- Rigid Sigmoidoscopy
- Robotic Colorectal Surgery
- Rubber Band Ligation Of Hemorrhoids
- Second Opinion
- Sphincter Sparing Surgery
- Stoma Surgery
- Surgery For Carcinoma Of The Colon
- Surgery For Crohn's Disease
- Surgery for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Surgical Management for Ulcerative Colitis
- Surgical Treatment for Mucosal Ulcerative Colitis
- Total Abdominal Colectomy
- Treatment for Anal Fissure
- Treatment for Anal Fistula
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Abscess
- Adenomatous Polyps
- Anal Abscesses
- Anal Cancer
- Anal Fissures
- Anal Fistula
- Anal Itching
- Anal Pain
- Anorectal Disease
- Anorectal Fistula
- Benign Anorectal Disease
- Cancer of the Colon, Rectum and Anus
- Carcinoma of the Colon
- Carcinoma of the small and large bowel
- Colon Cancer
- Colon Diseases
- Colon Polyps
- Colonic Neoplasia
- Colorectal Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Strategies
- Colovaginal Fistula
- Colovesticle Fistula
- Crohn's Disease
- Enterocutaneious Fistula
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Intestinal Endometriosis
- Intestinal Fistula
- Intestinal Fistulae
- Intestinal Ischemic Syndrome
- Large Bowel Cancer
- Large Intestine Cancer
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender LGBT Health
- Polyps of the Colon and Rectum
- Rectal Cancer
- Small Bowel Cancer
- Small Intestine Cancer
- Stoma Related Problems
- Ulcerative Colitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Mount Sinai Medical Center
New York, NY USA
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - Medical School University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
Laparoscopic and robotic surgery, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, familial adenomatous polyposis, pelvic surgery, intestinal endometriosis
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 12/9/2021, Dr. Kessler has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
117 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.7|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
8 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Oct 14, 2022
Dr Kessler is an excellent surgeon - he gave me my life back 6 years ago and I've been healthy ever since. I appreciate him so much.
Reviewed on Oct 7, 2022
Dr Kessler and his staff are top notch.
Reviewed on Aug 5, 2022
I was hugely impressed by Dr. Kessler and his team. Dr. Kessler made me feel relaxed and comfortable, answered my questions thoughtfully and provided his recommendation clearly. The team took extra time and extended my appointment to do an unscheduled scope, even though it was late on a beautiful summer Friday afternoon. I will feel confident having Dr. Kessler preform my surgery.
Reviewed on Feb 11, 2022
The team was AMAZING, they helped me very much. I wish they were in my own state. Dr Kessler was my Doctor and my hero.
Reviewed on Feb 8, 2022
Dr. Kessler is a best-in-class provider. I am very pleased with his balance of compassion and intellect.
Reviewed on Jan 28, 2022
Dr Kessler and his resident were kind and informative
Reviewed on Dec 28, 2021
I hope Dr. Kessler never leaves the Cleveland Clinic.
Reviewed on Dec 28, 2021
Very professional. Knew I was with a Excellent Dr.
© 2022 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.