Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Bronchiolitis Obliterans
- Connective Tissue Diseases
- Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Lung Dominant Connective Tissue Disease
- Radiation Fibrosis - Lung
- Rheumatic Lung Disease
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Case Western Reserve University - University Hospitals of Cleveland
Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Case Western Reserve University - University Hospitals of Cleveland
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical School - University of Alabama School of Medicine
Birmingham, AL USA
Undergraduate - University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, AL USA
- Dr. Southern has been invited to present his research findings at local and national meetings, including the American Thoracic Society International Conference, the Keystone Symposium on Fibrosis,and the Society for Clinical Research/Midwestern Section American Federation for Medical Research (CSCR/MWAFMR). He has been awarded research funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Parker B Francis Foundation, Genentech, Inc., and the Cleveland Clinic Research Program Committee. He has served as a grant reviewer for the Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP), the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research, and the Cleveland Clinic Research Program Committee. He reviews manuscripts for a number of scientific journals. He also supervises pulmonary fellows in the Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic and on the inpatient pulmonary consult service. Additionally, he serves as a volunteer physician at the Free Medical Clinic of Greater Cleveland.
- Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Disease
- Internal Medicine - Critical Care Medicine
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, Interstitial Lung Diseases, Sarcoidosis
Awards & Honors
- 2017 NIH K08 Award
- 2017 Parker B Francis Fellowship Award (declined)
- 2017 Parker B Francis Research Opportunity Award
- 2015 Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation Summit, Top Ten Abstract
- 2015 Genentech Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Junior Faculty Award
- 2014 Cleveland Clinic Research Program Committees Award
- 2012 Travel Award, ATS Assembly on Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology
- 2009 The Peter Morgan Award, for outstanding leadership as a senior resident
- American Thoracic Society
- American Society for Matrix Biology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 2/28/2017, Dr. Southern has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
44 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||5|
|Knows Medical History||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||5|
6 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Apr 27, 2017
Dr. Southern is an excellent clinician. He is an expert in the area of pulmonary fibrosis, and he takes the time to thoroughly explain treatment options, including medications, yet he is such a compassionate and caring physician. I retired from University Hospitals of Cleveland, and I transferred my care specifically to see him.
Reviewed on Dec 29, 2016
He was prepared for our appointment and up to date on a whole series of tests that were conducted earlier in the month. He asked my for my concerns. He also covered the items he had prepared. He ordered portable oxygen therapy for me.
Reviewed on Dec 22, 2016
Dr. Southern is the most caring physician I have ever seen. He correctly diagnosed me with the disease I have and consequently saved my life.
Reviewed on Dec 15, 2016
my doctor always explains everything to me in detail and answers any questions I may have.
Reviewed on Nov 17, 2016
Reviewed on Oct 13, 2016
Dr. Southern is one of the finest, most competent and professional physicians I have ever had. He is extremely compassionate and he provides excellent care! He listens to me, and he includes me in his decision making process. Unfortunately, it has fallen to him to give me negative information re. my disease and its progress, however he has handled all of this in such a professional, yet caring, manner. He is very aware of my family's concerns, and he answers their questions in such a manner that they understand. I feel extremely fortunately to have him as my pulmonologist!
© 2017 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.