Treatment & Services
- Adolescent Development
- Adolescent Endocrinology
- Adolescent Gynecology
- Adolescent Health
- Birth Control Pills
- Care of the Young Athlete
- Center for Adolescent Medicine
- Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
- Consultation/Treatment Planning
- Contraceptive Implants
- Depo-Provera Shots
- Evidence-based Medicine
- General Adolescent Medicine
- General Pediatric Medicine
- HIV Testing
- Media Psychology
- Menstrual Cycle
- Pelvic Exam
- Prevention of Teen Pregnancy
- Reproductive Health
- Second Opinion
- Smoking Cessation
- STD Testing
- Teen Skin
- Vaginitis Testing
- Virtual Visits
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abnormal Menstrual Bleeding
- Adjustment Disorder
- Adolescent Obesity
- Adolescent Sexual Health
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Anxiety Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bacterial Vaginosis
- Binge Eating Disorder
- Chlamydia Trachomatis
- Dermatitis - Contact
- Diaper Rash
- Gender Dysphoria
- Gender Identity Disorder
- Genital Herpes
- Genital Warts
- Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
- High Cholesterol
- Hormonal Problems in Teenagers
- Lactose Intolerance
- Menstrual Disorders
- Menstrual Migraines
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Poison Ivy
- Poison Oak
- Poison Sumac
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Puberty Disorders
- Pubic Lice (Crabs)
- Sexually Transmitted Disease
- Skin Problems in Children
- Sleep-Related Eating Disorders
- Substance Abuse
- Teen Depression
- Urinary Tract Infection
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Vaginal Discharge
- Vaginal Infections
- Vulvar Disorders
- Vulvovaginal Diseases
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Graduate School - Harvard University School of Public Health
Boston, MA USA
Fellowship - Children's Hospital of Boston
Boston, MA USA
Residency - Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD USA
Internship - Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD USA
Medical Education - Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Cleveland, OH USA
Undergraduate - Yale University
New Haven, CT USA
- Executive Management Course, Cleveland Clinic, 2001-2002
- Served as Associate Chief of Staff under Dr. Toby Cosgrove
- As President of the Women's Professional Staff Association, helped create and implement a business plan to recruit, retain, career develop and promote the best staff while increasing diversity
- Became Head of the Section of Adolescent Medicine in 1995, creating service, teaching and research in the field to better recognize and manage youth with eating disorders and obesity, and to improve the reproductive health of youth
- Served as President of the North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (NASPAG) and FIGIJ, its international counterpart, as well as serving as an active member of the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine (SAHM), the Academy for Eating Disorders (AED), and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), working to improve the health of youth locally and globally
- Initiated and teaches annually a course on Adolescent Development in the adolescent health track at Case's School of Public Health
- Pediatrics - Adolescent Medicine
eating disorders, reproductive health, menstrual disorders, obesity, preventive medicine
Awards & Honors
- Catalyst Grant, Teens Talk Back: an Innovative School-Based Competition for Teens to Create PSAs that Prevent Opioid Abuse, Cleveland Clinic, 2020
- Merck Research Award, 2020, to develop and test a toolkit for pediatricians to enable use of long-acting reversible contraceptives in their prPreviewimary care practices, 2020-2022
- The Demarco Award and Visiting Professorship in Adolescent Health from Akron Children’s Hospital, in recognition of leadership in adolescent health, national leadership in advocacy and health promotion for adolescents and young women 2017
- Mt Zion Award for Community Service Helping Adolescents, 2013
- Case Western Reserve School of Medicine Kaiser Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2012
- Who’s Who in Medicine, Science and Engineering: Who’s Who in American Women: Marquis Best Doctors in America; Top Doctors, Cleveland Magazine and Northern Ohio Live 2002-onward
- Honoree, Nourishing the Artist Within, Benefit for the Fairmount Center of the Arts and the Eating Disorders Network, February 5, 2011 - 2011
- Finalist, Crain’s Award for Health Care Heroes in category of Physicians - 2010
- Top Doctors, Cleveland Magazine, Northern Ohio Live - 2002 onward
- Honoree, American Heart Association Black Tie, 2006
- Honoree, Junior League of Cleveland, 2006, for Signature Program for 2006-2007, Cleveland Clinic's Food is Knowledge program
- Top Ten Article in “The Female Patient,” 1999
- Hubbard Stewart Fellowship for Humanism at Cleveland Clinic, 1998
- Von Meyer Award, Children's Hospital, Boston, 1992
- Farley Fund Teaching Award, Children's Hospital, Boston, 1991
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, 1988
American Academy of PediatricsFor participation on boards, committees and local chapters, see Biographical Sketch.
Society of Adolescent Health and MedicineFor participation on boards, committees and local chapters, see Biographical Sketch.
North American Society for Pediatric and Adolescent GynecologyFor participation on boards, committees and local chapters, see Biographical Sketch.
International Association of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology (FIGIJ)For participation on boards, committees and local chapters, see Biographical Sketch.
Academy for Eating DisordersFor participation on boards, committees and local chapters, see Biographical Sketch.USTA (United States Tennis Association) Sports Science Committee - 2005-
- WTA (World Tennis Association) Sports Committee - 2006-2007
- International Tennis Performance Association (ITPA),founding member of the ITPA Certification Commission (ITPA-CC)
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 4/23/2023, Dr. Rome has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
66 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
25 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Oct 9, 2023
Dr. Rome truly understood the troubles and concerns I have for Ralynn's well being. The Doctor was AMAZING??
Reviewed on Aug 28, 2023
The eating disorders and adolescent center under Dr Rome is the best run center in the entire cleveland clinic. I'm not kidding. It's truly the best. They follow up, they care, they do what they say they will. They are amazing doctors. Truly the best.
Reviewed on Jul 18, 2023
Dr. Rome is empathetic, compassionate, and an excellent Physician
Reviewed on Jul 5, 2023
Dr. Rome tends to move quickly and sometimes does not listen to what we are saying. It feels as if she has an idea in mind as to what she believes we are saying within the first few words, and sometimes this leads to her not fully addressing our concerns or answering the questions we are asking. Overall Dr. Rome is a phenomenal provider, and we are so very grateful for her expertise and compassionate care. We understand she is extremely busy, and this may lead to the rushed answers at times.
Reviewed on Jun 26, 2023
Dr. Rome is probably the best doctor in all of Cleveland clinic
Reviewed on Jun 21, 2023
My daughter LOVES Dr Rome!!! Clone her.
Reviewed on Jun 13, 2023
Dr Rome is not the easiest to begin care with but once established she's incredible.
Reviewed on Jun 12, 2023
*Dr. Rome has been my daughter's doctor for 6+ years. She is the best doctor! Always gives my daughter great advice and care. We have recommended her to many people.
Reviewed on Apr 5, 2023
Dr. Rome is absolutely the best doctor that we've ever had for our kids. She is without a doubt the most empathetic doctor who takes her time with her patients, is thorough and detailed with helping, her communication is just the best and we feel so fortunate for all of the care that she gives to our kids.
Reviewed on Mar 21, 2023
I can't imagine there is a doctor better at her job (teen psychiatrist) than Dr Rome. She listens, asks the right questions, and has answers that teens can relate to and out into practice. We love seeing Dr Rome!
Reviewed on Mar 20, 2023
Dr Rome is the best doctor in the world. She has changed and saved my life. She is amazing at what she does.
Reviewed on Mar 15, 2023
*Dr. Rome was excellent w/17 year old.
Reviewed on Mar 13, 2023
Dr. Rome is an excellent doctor who is extremely caring and was very thorough in helping care for our daughter.
Reviewed on Mar 13, 2023
I would definitely and have recommended Dr. Rome to others.
Reviewed on Feb 22, 2023
Dr. Rome provides excellent care. She always listens, take time to answer our questions and concerns. She also shares information on what to expect from medications and educated on us treat symptoms and/or prevent them.
Reviewed on Feb 22, 2023
Dr. Rome is amazing -- she genuinely cares not only about the health issue, but the patient as a person as a whole.
Reviewed on Feb 1, 2023
Dr Rome is a legend.
Reviewed on Jan 30, 2023
The doctor was nice and showed concern but she fell for my son's charm and made an assessment based on his answers and not mine
Reviewed on Jan 24, 2023
Dr. Rome is excellent in her treatment of youth and in her connection to families
Reviewed on Jan 18, 2023
Dr. Rome is incredible.
Reviewed on Jan 16, 2023
Dr Rome is the best in all aspects of care . I have referred her to others many times . We are very grateful for her remarkable care of our daughter , who had multiple health issues at one time .
Reviewed on Jan 10, 2023
Dr Elen Rome is a Gem and an asset to the city of Cleveland
Reviewed on Jan 9, 2023
The care that Dr. Rome and her team give Cameron is absolutely wonderful and we could not ask for a better, more caring doctor for our son. Dr. Rome is a world class doctor that the Cleveland Clinic is so fortunate to have!
Reviewed on Jan 9, 2023
Very caring and down to earth, took her time with my daughter and listened to our concerns. Very knowledgeable doctor.
Reviewed on Jan 9, 2023
Choose "fair" as rating for "ability to get appointment when needed" only because Dr. Rome is so busy and her schedule fills up.
© 2023 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.