Sprains of the first metatarsophalangeal joint or "great toe" are often referred to as turf toe. Turf toe is caused by increased flexion or extension of the great toe causing stretching or tearing of the ligaments.
- Sometimes instability of the great toe
- Acutely treated with PRICE regimen:
- Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.
- Surgical treatment of turf toe is rarely necessary
- Wearing shoes that have stability around the great toe
Schedule an Appointment Online
Call us toll-free for an Appointment
- Orthopaedics & Rheumatology: 866.275.7496
- Sports Health: 877.440.TEAM (8326)
To arrange a same-day visit, call 216.444.2606
This information is provided by Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace
the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider.
Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition.
© Copyright 2015 Cleveland Clinic. All rights reserved.