Gay, Bisexual and MSM Health
Gay, bisexual and MSM health needs can sometimes reach beyond the usual check-up things like blood pressure, cholesterol and weight. It’s important you feel comfortable asking questions and voicing concerns to someone who truly listens to — and “gets” — you.
We can help you find the perfect provider. Cleveland Clinic has been offering specialized primary care to the LGBTQIA+ community since 2015. We understand your unique health needs so you can feel comfortable enough to talk openly with us about your life and health goals.
Why choose Cleveland Clinic?
Cleveland Clinic is recognized as an “LBGTQ+ Healthcare Equality Leader” in the 2022 Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index. We provide a safe, welcoming environment and respectful, expert healthcare. Meet our team.
Our healthcare providers develop lasting relationships by getting to know you as a person, not just a patient. We care about what’s important to you and personalize your care to help you feel your best.
We have all of your health needs covered. We’re here to power up your well-being and lower your risk for chronic health problems. And we’ll also take care of you when you feel sick.
Skilled, collaborative providers:
If you need more than a check-up, our team also includes experts in urology, behavioral health, infectious disease and digestive health. They’ll work with your primary care provider to coordinate any additional care.
Convenience and privacy:
Cleveland Clinic offers personalized, confidential primary care designed with you in mind. After you first meet with us in person, you often can attend appointments from home through virtual visits.
U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks Cleveland Clinic a top hospital in the nation. Newsweek has also named us a top hospital in the world.
Primary Care for Gay, Bisexual or MSM Health at Cleveland Clinic
Finding the right primary care provider is one of the most important health-related decisions you can make. You want someone you trust, who makes you feel heard and understands your needs from your perspective. Our team is here to care for the total you — physically and emotionally — in confidence.
Primary care services
- Health screenings: We'll check for common health issues like high blood pressure, high blood sugar and high cholesterol, among others. Doing these tests lets us find potential health issues and start treatment sooner to reduce their impact on your life.
- Chronic disease care: You might have ongoing conditions like high blood pressure, obesity or diabetes, to name a few. We’re here to help you develop personal goals for success and support you as you work to reach them.
- Immunizations: Staying current with vaccines can lower your chances of getting common illnesses. We’ll talk with you about shots that protect against the flu, tetanus, COVID-19 and certain forms of hepatitis. If you’re 50+, we might also recommend shingles and pneumonia vaccines.
- Men’s health services: We treat conditions like erectile dysfunction or an enlarged prostate. If you need treatment, your primary care provider will work with urologists and other specialists to craft a plan that best meets your needs.
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) care: Our providers can also treat hepatitis, HIV/AIDS, human papillomavirus (HPV), genital warts and other sexual health issues. If you’re at risk for HIV, you may be eligible for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), which blocks the virus. We also offer antiviral medications for hepatitis and HIV and antibiotics for other sexually transmitted infections.
- Mental health and well-being: We regularly ask about depression, substance use disorder and intimate partner violence. If you have these conditions or concerns, our mental health specialists can step in to listen and help you work on a solution that best fits your needs and life.
- Support: Our team includes a patient navigator who helps relieve some of the stress that comes with having complex care needs — from coordinating appointments to finding the extra info you might need. We can also connect you with financial and community resources that make it a little easier to focus on your health.
Who Treat Gay, Bisexual or MSM Individuals
What to Expect at Your First Visit
Your first visit with your primary care provider sets the stage for your relationship. It gives you a chance to see if you feel comfortable with them and if they’re a good fit for you. If you don't feel like you click, then you might want to keep looking.
During your visit, your provider will listen carefully to you. They’ll ask you to talk about your life so they can personalize your care to your individual needs and goals. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, too. It’s your appointment, and your provider will want to know what’s on your mind.
They’ll also talk with you about what it takes to stay healthy. You’ll hear about diet and nutrition, bloodwork, immunizations (vaccines), screening and testing, exercise and substance use. They’ll ask about your social and sexual health history since that’s an important part of who you are. And they’ll talk about any risk factors you might have. They’ll want to get a whole picture of you and your health.
You can feel secure knowing all of your care at Cleveland Clinic will be in a comfortable, confidential, judgment-free environment — from understanding providers who specialize in LBGTQIA+ healthcare.
Taking the Next Step
If you’re gay, bisexual or MSM, it’s important to have a compassionate healthcare provider who understands you and your health. At Cleveland Clinic, you’ll find just that — a trusted partner who wants you to feel your best and live a healthy life to the fullest.
Request an Appointment
Learn more about gay, bisexual and MSM healthcare at Cleveland Clinic.
Billing & Insurance
Manage your Cleveland Clinic account. Find billing information and financial assistance, plus FAQs.
Securely access personalized health information at any time, day or night.