Mary E. Temple, MS, PharmD, BCPS, FCCP
Clinical Coordinator, Hillcrest Pharmacy Services
Hillcrest Hospital – a Cleveland Clinic Hospital
Pager: 216.444.4000 #50039
Clinical specialist 2001 - 2017; Clinical Coordinator since 2017
- Master of Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- ASHP Leadership Academy, Baltimore, MD
- Doctor of Pharmacy, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Pediatric Pharmacotherapy Fellowship, Nationwide Children's and The Ohio State University, Columbus OH
- Pharmacy Practice Residency, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
Past Experience Areas
- Retail Pharmacy
- Nursing home consultant
- Director of IRB
- Staff pharmacist
- Teaching assistant
- Combat medic
Areas of Interest
- Health care policy
- Pharmacy administration
- SSRI use in obstetric patients
- Opioid abuse in OB patients
- Residency Program Director, PGY 1 Pharmacy Residency
- Clinical rounding with Cleveland Clinic, OB
- Culture of Improvement, Hillcrest Department of Pharmacy
- P&T, Pediatric QA Committee, OB QA Committee
- Editor, Lexicomp Inc. pregnancy and lactation database
- Admission and discharge medication counseling program
- Research in treatment of opioid withdrawal in OB patients
- Research on a Pharmacist-based Medication Reconciliation and Patient Counseling Program
- PRN Committee member, Women’s Health teaching and Education 2017-present
- Pediatric Consultant/Editor Pregnancy and Lactation Database, Lexicomp Inc. 2001-present
- Peer reviewer for AJHP 2001-present
- Resident/Student Women’s PRN committee member, ACCP 2012-2015
- Chairman, Public Policy, Women’s PRN ACCP 2013-2015
- Council of Health Care Advocates (COHCA) for Ohio, Board Member 2011-2017
- Health Policy Consultant for COCHA Political Advocacy Committee 2012-2017
- Membership currently in ASHP, ACCP, COHCA
- Engagement team member, Pharmacy Department, Hillcrest Hospital
- Committee member for Anchored to Excellence, Service quality initiative
- Reviewer for Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2005-2008
- Cancer IRB member 2004-2006
- Director, CCHSEAST IRB 2003-2005
- Reviewer for Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2000-2003
- Volunteer, Bainbridge food for Friends 2009-present
- Volunteer, Boy Scouts of America, 2005-2017
- Volunteer, Girl Scouts of America, 2009-present
- Apparel Chair, Kenston Parent Teacher Association, 2010-2014
- Veteran, United States Army (Operation Iraq Freedom)
- Instructor, Cleveland Clinic Technician School, 2015-present
- Visiting Instructor, Ohio College of Podiatry Medicine, 2001 - 2012
- Instruct Medical Residents monthly 2002 - present
- Preceptor for Doctor of Pharmacy students 2002 - present
- Provider of local continuing education for nurses, pharmacists and physicians at Hillcrest Hospital and in northeast Ohio
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, The American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2014
- Summa Cum laude, Master of Science in Pharmacy, 2011
- Albert E. Dyckes Ohio Hospital Worker of the Year, Hillcrest Hospital, 2010
- The Chairman’s Award for Commitment to Clinical Research 2001, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Division of Pediatrics. This award is normally given to a physician
- Magna Cum Laude, Doctor of Pharmacy
- Temple ME, Nahata MC, Koranyi KI. Pharmacotherapy of tinea capitis. J Am Board Fam Pract 1999; 12:236-42.
- Temple ME, Nahata MC. Interaction between ciprofloxacin and rifampin. Ann Pharmacother 1999; 33:868-70.
- Wandstrat TL, Kaplan-Machlis B, Temple ME, Nahata MC. Tetravalent rotavirus vaccine. Ann Pharmacother 1999; 33:833-9.
- Temple ME, Nahata MC. Rifapentine: Its role in the treatment of tuberculosis. Ann Pharmacother 1999; 33:1203-10.
- Temple ME, Luzier A, Kazierad DJ. Homocysteine as a risk factor for atherosclerosis. Ann Pharmacother. 2000; 34:57-65
- Temple ME, Nahata MC. Pharmacotherapy of acute sinusitis in children. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2000; 57:663-8.
- Temple ME, Nahata MC. Comparative palatability of 22 liquid antacids. J Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2000; 14:421-5.
- Temple ME, Nahata MC. Treatment of listeriosis. Ann Pharmacother. 2000; 34:656-61.
- Gilliland KK, Shermock KM, Flores P, Goldman MP, Temple-Cooper M, Calabrese AT, Schentag JJ. The A.U.I.C. (Antibiotic Utilization Information & Consultation) Program: utility in predicting clinical outcome. ICAAC 1999 Abstract 1006.
- Temple ME, Nahata MC. Pharmacotherapy of lower limb diabetic ulcers. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2000; 48:822-8.
- Temple ME, Nahata MC. Treatment of pediatric hypertension. Pharmacotherapy. 2000; 20:140-50.
- Temple ME, Koranyi KI, Nahata MC. Safety and antiviral effect of protease inhibitors in children. Pharmacotherapy. 2001; 21:287-94.
- Temple ME, Koranyi KI, Nahata MC. Gastrostomy tube placement in non-adherent HIV infected children. Annals of Pharmacotherapy.
- Temple ME, Brady M, Koranyi KI, Nahata MC. Periorbital cellulitis secondary to Conidiobolus incongruus. Pharmacotherapy. 2001; 21:351-54.
- Shermock KM, Temple ME, Younossi ZM. The Cost-effectiveness of Treating Chronic Hepatitis C. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy. 2002.
- Shermock KM, Temple ME, Younossi ZM. A pharmacoeconomic appraisal of therapies for hepatitis B and C. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy 2001; 2:205-211.
- Temple ME, Koranyi KI, Nahata MC. Lipodystrophy in HIV- infected pediatric patients receiving protease inhibitors. Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 37(9):1214-8, 2003 Sept.
- Temple ME, Miller JA, Nahata MC. Frequency, causality and preventability of adverse drug events in pediatric patients. Drug Safety. 27(11):819-29, 2004
- Temple ME, Arden SA, Bartos M, Paulin D, Jinks J. The effects of a bronchiolitis care path on clinical outcomes and length of stay in a pediatric community setting. Poster presented at ACCP 2004, manuscript in progress.
- Temple ME, Jakubecz MA, Link NA. Implementation of a training program to improve pharmacy services for high risk neonatal and maternal populations. American Journal of Health System Pharmacists 2013; 70:144-149.
- Rafie S, Borgelt L, Koepf ER, Temple-Cooper ME, Lehman KJ. Novel oral contraceptive for heavy menstrual bleeding: estradiol valerate and dienogest. International Journal of Women’s Health 2013; 5: 313–321
- Huebner M, Temple–Cooper ME, Lagzdins M, Yeh JY. A Pilot Study Evaluating the Effect Daily counseling by a Pharmacist on Medication Related HCAHPS Scores and Medication Reconciliation Satisfaction. J. Biosafety and Health education. 2013:1(2) http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/jbhe.1000105
- Temple-Cooper ME, Lagzdins M. Streamlining the residency interview process using available web-based technology. AJHP 2014:71;697-701.
- Jakubecz MA, Phillipson E, Temple-Cooper ME. A Mother’s Stay in the Maternity Unit Yields an Opportunity to Vaccinate Fathers and Grandparents for Pertussis. AJHP 2016:74;e54-e58.
- Link NA, Temple-Cooper ME. Correlation of AD use during Pregnancy and Autism: Unclear study design and inconsistencies in reported data. JAMA Pediatr 2016:170;441-442.
- Hogue A , Temple-Cooper ME, Raich M , Schwersenski J, Floyd R, Saker F. Effects of In-Utero Exposure to Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors on Neonatal Outcomes. J Perinatol. 2017;10(4):1-10.
- Hoyt, M, Temple-Cooper ME. An Observational Case Series on the effect of clonidine epidural for pain control in patients who have received buprenorphine for opioid maintenance during pregnancy. Submitted for Publication to Anesthesiology August 2017.
- Fink K, Temple ME. Oxytocin use in the obstetric population. The American Society of Health System Pharmacists. Las Vegas, Nevada Dec 2016
- Hansen K, Temple ME. Use of clonidine versus morphine for the treatment of neonatal abstinence syndrome. PAS; Baltimore, MD May 2016
- Temple ME. Implementation of a midyear oral examination to assess clinical competency and need for remediation in pharmacy residents. The American Society of Health System Pharmacists. Orlando, Florida December 2013
- Hogue A, Temple ME, et al. The effects in-utero exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and venlafaxine on neonatal outcomes. Ohio College of Clinical Pharmacy, Cleveland, Ohio. 2013
- Temple ME, et al. Co-investigator. A pilot study evaluating the effects of daily counseling by a pharmacist on HCAHPS scores and medication reconciliation satisfaction. Ohio College of clinical Pharmacists. Cleveland, Ohio May 31, 2013.
- Temple ME, et al. Co-investigator. Effects of in-utero exposure to SSRIs and venlafaxine on neonatal outcomes. Ohio College of clinical Pharmacists. Cleveland, Ohio May 31, 2013
- Temple ME, et al. Primary investigator. The effects of a bronchiolitis carepath on clinical outcomes and length of stay in a pediatric community setting, American College of Clinical Pharmacists, Dallas, Texas October 2004
- Temple ME, et al. Co-investigator. The value of Pharmacists in Preparation of Neonatal Care Protocols, Pediatric Pharmacy Advocacy Group, St. Petersburgh, Florida October 2004
- Temple ME, et al. Co-investigator. Neonates with single ventricle physiology have ultrasound evidence of poor mesenteric perfusion. Society of Critical Care Medicine, San Diego, California, January 26, 2002
- Temple ME, et al. Primary investigator. The Efficacy of Antimicrobial Stethoscope Covers in Reducing Bacterial Contamination of Stethoscopes. Pediatric Infectious Disease Society San Francisco, California, October 25, 2001
- Temple ME, et al. Primary Investigator. Lipodystrophy in HIV- infected pediatric patients receiving protease inhibitors. Boston Children’s Research Forum, Boston, Massachusetts, April 7, 2001.
- Temple ME, et al. Primary investigator. A prospective study of the safety and efficacy of protease inhibitors in HIV infected children American College of Clinical Pharmacists Los Angeles, California, November 2000.
- Temple ME, et al. Primary investigator. Gastrostomy tube placement in HIV-infected pediatric patients” Children’s Hospital Research Forum, Columbus, Ohio, June 2000
- Temple ME, et al. Primary investigator. A study of medication errors in an adult hospital”, American Society of Hospital Pharmacists, Miami Florida, December 1994
- Common Drugs of Abuse and the implications for the inpatient practitioner. Hillcrest Hospital physician Assistant Grand Rounds. Mayfield Heights, Ohio. September 2017
- Maternal Medicine through the Years. Cleveland Clinic Pharmacy Technician School. Cleveland, Ohio July 2015, May 2016, March 2017
- Standardization of Epidural Anesthesia carts using SOLVD. Cleveland Clinic SOLVD Symposium Cleveland, OH June 2, 2016
- Antenatal Drug Abuse: Implications for the mother during labor, delivery and postpartum. Cleveland Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology Physician Grand Rounds Mayfield Heights, Ohio July 2013.
- Pearl and Challenges of Smart Pumps in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit PPAG National Conference. Indianapolis, Indiana, May 1, 2013.
- NICU Course, 65- one hour lectures in neonatology and obstetrics. Hillcrest Hospital Pharmacy Staff. Mayfield Heights, Ohio June 2009-November 2011, October 2012-2015.
- Neonatal Opioid Withdrawal. PPAG National Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, October 20, 2009.
- Pharmacology in the Neonate Neonatal Conference-level 3 preparation. Mayfield Heights, Ohio May 5, 2009.
- Postpartum Hemmorhage. Neonatal Conference-level 3 preparation. Mayfield Heights, Ohio May 25, 2009.
- TPN Basics. Neonatal Conference-level 3 preparation. Mayfield Heights, Ohio June 2, 2009.
- In With the New, Out with the Old: How the 2007. Asthma Guidelines Affect Patient Management. Pennsylvania Society of Health System Pharmacists. Erie, PA, January 31, 2008.
- The Use of SSRIs During Pregnancy and Lactation. Neonatal Consortium Meeting. Mayfield Heights, OH March 10, 2006.
- Treatment Options for Pediatric Diabetes. Pediatric Pharmacy Advocacy Group Annual Meeting. Chicago, IL October 12, 2005.
- Conscience Sedation: Options for Pre-surgical Procedures. Surgical Center, Hillcrest Hospital, Mayfield Heights, OH January 2005 .
- Pharmacotherapy Considerations in the Pediatric Patient. CCHS East Continuing Education Seminar. Huron Hospital, November 2004.
- Immunizations in Children. Pediatric Physician/Nursing and Pharmacy CE Program Hillcrest Hospital, South Pointe Hospital, May 2003, January 2004 .
- Community Acquired Pneumonia in Children. Pediatric Physician/Nursing and Pharmacy CE Program. Hillcrest Hospital, May 2004.
- Conscience Sedation: Options during Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. Pediatric Gastroenterology Department Hillcrest Hospital, February 2004.
- Bronchiolitis and the Impact of a Care Path. Pediatric Physician/Nursing and Pharmacy CE Program. Hillcrest Hospital, November 2004.
- Hyperlipidemia. Ohio College of Podiatry Medicine. Guest Speaker Cleveland, Ohio. April 2001-2011.
- Pharmacotherapy of Patients with Diabetes Mellitus. Ohio College of Podiatry Medicine Guest Speaker Cleveland, Ohio. April 2001- 2009.
- Frequency, Causality and preventability of adverse drug events in pediatric patients American College of Clinical Pharmacists Annual meeting Los Angeles, California..
- Gastrostomy tube placement in HIV-infected pediatric patients. American College of Clinical Pharmacists Annual meeting. Los Angeles, California. November, 2000.
- Periorbital cellulitis secondary to Conidiobolus incongruous. Children’s Hospital Research Forum. Columbus, Ohio, June 2000.
- Acute Otitis Media in Children and Community acquired pneumonia. Doctor of Pharmacy Lecture Series. The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. January 1999, 2000.
- Accolate: A Milestone or Just Another Drug?” Doctor of Pharmacy Seminar. The State University of New York at Buffalo, October 1997.
- Homocysteine: Another Pawn in the Atherosclerotic Battle. Doctor of Pharmacy Seminar. The State University of New York at Buffalo, March 1997.
- Parenteral Nutrition in a Patient with Short Bowel Syndrome. Pharmacy Practice Conference. William Beaumont Hospital, June 1994.
- Medication Omissions: A Study of Their Underlying Causes. Great Lakes Residency Conference. Toledo, OH. April 1994.
- Pravastatin and a Review of HMG CoA Inhibitors. Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee. William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI. January 1994.