Mercury poisoning occurs when your body is exposed to too much mercury. Mercury is a type of elemental metal found in the Earth’s crust that’s toxic to humans. Mercury poisoning most often happens by eating too much seafood that contains mercury. If you were exposed to mercury, contact poison control at 1-800-222-1222.
Mercury is a compound found in rocks in the Earth’s crust. It has a shiny silver appearance, which gives it the nickname “liquid silver.” Mercury is an element on the periodic table with the symbol Hg and the atomic number 80. Mercury is unique because it’s classified as a metal and comes in both liquid and solid forms depending on the temperature.
Mercury has several uses because it’s a conductor. This means that the compound allows electricity and heat to flow through it. For this reason, you’ll find mercury in thermometers, street lights and fluorescent lightbulbs.
Cleveland Clinic is a non-profit academic medical center. Advertising on our site helps support our mission. We do not endorse non-Cleveland Clinic products or services. Policy
Mercury is toxic and harmful to the human body. Mercury poisoning occurs when you expose yourself to too much mercury and your body reacts negatively to the compound.
There are three different types of mercury that are harmful to the human body including:
Mercury poisoning can affect anyone who comes into contact with or consumes mercury.
The most severe cases of mercury poisoning affect children and fetuses of pregnant people and people who breastfeed (chestfeed) and consume large amounts of fish with high mercury content.
Mercury poisoning is rare in the United States but can be more common in other countries, especially among mining communities or near seaside towns where food could become contaminated with mercury.
Your body will negatively react if you eat, touch or inhale mercury. Once inside your body, mercury travels to your heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Your body knows that mercury is not supposed to be there, so you’ll experience symptoms, caused by your immune system trying to get the compound out in the same way it would attack bacteria or germs.
Symptoms of mercury poisoning are different for each type of mercury and range in severity from person to person.
Elemental mercury is usually harmless if you touch or swallow it because its slippery texture won’t absorb into your skin or intestines. Elemental mercury is extremely dangerous if you breathe it in and it gets into your lungs. Often, elemental mercury becomes airborne if someone is trying to clean up a mercury spill with a vacuum.
Symptoms of elemental mercury poisoning occur immediately after inhaling the chemical and include:
Inorganic mercury is poisonous when swallowed. When the chemical enters your body, it travels through your bloodstream and attacks your brain and kidneys.
Symptoms of inorganic mercury poisoning include:
Organic mercury causes symptoms if you inhale it (breathe it in) or touch it. Symptoms don’t occur immediately and usually arise after long periods of contact (could be years or decades) with the compound. Though not always common, being exposed to a large amount of organic mercury at one time can cause symptoms. Symptoms of organic mercury poisoning from long-term exposure include:
People who are pregnant and exposed to large amounts of methylmercury (a type of organic mercury) can cause brain damage to developing fetuses. Most healthcare providers recommend people who are pregnant eat a limited amount of fish or remove fish from their diet, especially swordfish, during their pregnancy.
Long-term organic mercury exposure is deadly. If you frequently come into contact with organic mercury, wear proper personal protective equipment, like a mask and gloves, to reduce your risk of health problems associated with the compound.
Exposure to mercury causes mercury poisoning. Potential ways you could expose your body to mercury include:
Mercury poisoning is most often diagnosed in the emergency room after exposure and experiencing severe symptoms.
Your healthcare provider will diagnose mercury poisoning after a complete medical history and physical examination. Your provider will ask questions about your symptoms like how long you’ve had them and the severity as well as if you’ve been exposed to any chemicals or compounds.
To confirm the diagnosis, your provider will offer several tests to monitor mercury levels in your body including:
In the emergency room, your provider will immediately decontaminate (remove the dangerous substance) from your skin and/or clothing to avoid further exposure. Treatment of your symptoms quickly follows and varies based on the type of mercury exposure.
Treatment focuses on removing mercury from your body and could include receiving:
Often, you’ll need to take chelators (medicine that removes metal from your body) for several weeks to months after mercury exposure to completely remove the chemical from your body.
Even after immediate treatment to remove mercury from your body, damage from the compound could create long-term symptoms that need ongoing treatment.
You can prevent mercury poisoning by:
If you’re cleaning up a spill that contains mercury, do not vacuum the area to prevent mercury from becoming airborne and entering your lungs. Contact your local or state health department or environmental protection agency to properly clean up any spilled mercury to prevent poisoning.
Mercury is dangerous to the human body and your prognosis after exposure depends on the amount of mercury that entered your body and your overall health at the time of exposure.
Some people have very mild symptoms and after treatment to remove the compound from their body, remain in good health after exposure.
More severe cases of mercury exposure lead to a poor prognosis. Elemental mercury, if inhaled, can cause permanent lung damage and potential brain damage. Inorganic mercury can damage kidneys and cause blood loss. Organic mercury can damage your central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). Large amounts of mercury or long-term exposure can lead to death if not treated.
If you’ve been exposed to mercury, contact the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 and visit the emergency room immediately.
If you experience symptoms of mercury poisoning or are aware that you were exposed to mercury, visit the emergency room immediately.
Yes, certain types of fish contain methylmercury, which is present in the water where fish live. Methylmercury is a type of organic mercury that is dangerous to the human body if you consume large amounts of it. Limited to moderate amounts of mercury from fish are OK for humans to consume.
Fish and shellfish that have high levels of mercury include:
The FDA recommends that people who are pregnant or breastfeeding (chestfeeding) avoid or limit the amount of fish in their diet that contains high levels of mercury.
Older amalgam dental fillings (silver fillings) contain about 50% mercury (elemental) by weight along with other metals like silver, tin and copper. If you have older amalgam fillings in your mouth, you’re at an increased risk of mercury exposure and poisoning.
Symptoms of mercury exposure from amalgam fillings are the same as symptoms of elemental mercury poisoning, with a metallic taste in your mouth being the primary symptom.
If your fillings aren’t damaged and you don’t have tooth decay underneath your amalgam filling, you don’t have to replace your amalgam fillings with a safer alternative immediately. If you have damaged amalgam fillings, talk with your dentist about replacing those fillings because you’re at a greater risk of mercury exposure.
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Each person’s body will react to mercury exposure differently. Sometimes symptoms will be mild and other times, they could be life-threatening. In any case, if you had mercury exposure, whether it be a small or large amount, contact the national poison control helpline at 1-800-222-1222 to talk with an expert 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You don’t need to be in an emergency to call the helpline to have your questions answered about poisoning and poison prevention.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 07/07/2022.
Learn more about our editorial process.