- Keep the dressings on the biopsy sites for 24 hours. After 24 hours, you may shower with the dressings on, then remove. Cover the biopsy sites with an adhesive bandage daily until a scab forms, then leave the areas open to the air. Do not remove the scabs that form.
- You may take showers, but please do not take tub baths, go in hot tubs, or swim for 7 days after the procedure.
- If bleeding occurs, apply firm pressure for 2 minutes using a clean piece of gauze.
- Initial mild redness may be present around the skin biopsy sites. If an area gets red, you may use Bacitracin or Polysporin® (Bacitracin and Polymyxin B) on the wounds as needed.
- Please contact the office if:
- You have bleeding at biopsy sites that will not stop after you apply firm pressure for 10 minutes.
- You have signs of infection that will not go away, including redness, swelling, or drainage at biopsy site.
- During regular office hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.), please call 216.444.5353, and say that you had a recent skin biopsy.
- After regular office hours or on weekends, please call 216.444.2200, ask for the neurology resident on call, and say that you had a recent skin biopsy.