Quality counts when referring patients to hospitals and physicians, so Cleveland Clinic has created a series of outcomes books for many of its institutes.
2016 Outcomes Books
Outcomes books are written for physicians and are organized by Cleveland Clinic institutes.
- Cancer Institute
- Dermatology & Plastic Surgery Institute
- Digestive Disease & Surgery Institute
- Endocrinology & Metabolism Institute
- Eye Institute
- Head & Neck Institute
- Heart & Vascular Institute
- Medicine Institute
- Neurological Institute
- Ob/Gyn & Women’s Health Institute
- Orthopaedic & Rheumatologic Institute
- Pediatric Institute & Cleveland Clinic Children's
- Respiratory Institute
- Urological & Kidney Institute
About Outcome Books
What do outcomes books contain?
Designed for a healthcare provider audience, the outcomes books contain:
- A summary of our surgical and medical trends and approaches
- Data on patient volume and outcomes
- A review of new technologies and innovations
Are all Cleveland Clinic outcomes reported?
Although we are unable to report all outcomes for all treatments provided at Cleveland Clinic, omission of outcomes for a particular treatment does not mean we necessarily do not offer that treatment.
Our goal is to increase outcomes reporting each year. When outcomes for a specific treatment are unavailable, we often report process measures that have documented relationships with improved outcomes.
When process measures are unavailable, we report volume measures; a volume/outcome relationship has been demonstrated for many treatments, particularly those involving surgical technique.
What are the data sources for the outcomes books?
Cleveland Clinic supports transparent public reporting of healthcare quality data and participates in the following public reporting initiatives. Each is a source for certain indicators (and benchmarks) that are included in Cleveland Clinic outcomes books:
- Joint Commission Performance Measurement Initiative
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) Hospital Compare
- Ohio Department of Health Service Reporting
- National specialty society databases
- Internal clinical databases