A buttock lift (also known as belt lipectomy) improves and/or removes excess, sagging buttock and thigh skin that has developed as a result of weight loss, aging and gravity, or genetics. By raising and tightening the skin over the buttocks, a buttock lift makes the buttocks appear less saggy, dimpled or wrinkled.
Why Choose Us
When considering a buttock lift (belt lipectomy), always look for a board-certified cosmetic surgeon with specialized training and significant experience. For the best results, choose a cosmetic surgeon who is affiliated with a major medical center, such as Cleveland Clinic.
Make sure to ask your cosmetic surgeon about his or her credentials, training and how many procedures he or she has performed.
How to Prepare
Am I candidate for buttock lift surgery?
If fitness and weight loss efforts have not helped you achieve your goals, buttock lift surgery may be right for you.
Good candidates for buttock lift surgery include:
- Individuals with loss of skin elasticity in the buttock area due to extreme weight loss or aging
- Individuals with thighs that are crinkled, dimpled or flabby due to lack of exercise or cellulite
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals for what back lift surgery can accomplish
- Individuals committed to leading a healthy lifestyle including proper nutrition and fitness.
The best way to determine if you are a candidate for a buttock lift is through a consultation with an expert at Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center.
How do I prepare for buttock lift surgery?
Preparing for your buttock lift surgery at Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center includes discussing a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle with your plastic surgeon, including:
- Why you want the procedure, your expectations and desired outcome
- Your medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Your use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs.
Your Cleveland Clinic plastic surgeon may also:
- Evaluate your general health and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine and measure your body, including recording detailed measurements and taking photos for your medical record
- Discuss your buttock lift options
- Discuss likely expected outcomes of buttock lift surgery and risks or potential complications.
What to Expect
How is buttock lift surgery performed?
Buttock lift surgery at Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center is typically performed as an outpatient procedure with the use of general anesthesia. The procedure can also be performed as part of a body lift or as part of a circumferential abdominoplasty.
There is not one overall approach used for buttock lift surgery. Plastic surgeons at Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center will tailor a method that will best suit your body shape and the amount of skin and fat to be removed.
In general, the incision is made at the waist or slightly below the waist. After the incision or incisions are made, excess skin and fat is detached from the soft tissue and removed. The skin is then tightened and closed in layers.
After surgery, a sterile dressing is applied and you will wear a compression garment or elastic girdle that tightly holds the skin in to reduce swelling and aid in the natural tightening of the skin.
What results can I expect?
The results of buttock lift surgery are visible almost immediately, but it may take several months for your final results to fully develop. A buttock lift does not add volume or shape to your existing buttocks, but it can give it a sleeker, more toned appearance. View our buttock lift before and after photos to see results from actual patients.
Follow-up with a plastic surgeon at Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center is the best way to ensure long-lasting results from buttock lift surgery.
What is involved in recovery?
Following buttock lift surgery, you may experience some mild to moderate pain or discomfort, which can be controlled by medications your plastic surgeon can prescribe for you. You may notice swelling and there may be quite a bit of bruising.
Full recovery from buttock lift surgery usually takes four to six months. While swelling and bruising usually subside within two to three weeks.
Your plastic surgeon will recommend that you avoid any strenuous activity and exercise for up to three months following surgery.
Is a buttock lift safe?
All surgical procedures carry some risk.
Possible side effects or complications from buttock lift surgery include:
- Numbness or tightness (temporary).
Insurance & Financing
Insurance rarely covers the cost of elective cosmetic surgery and procedures.
Please call 216.444.4004 and ask to speak with one of our financial representatives who can explain payment options including CareCredit financing.