About Cleveland Clinic
Founded in 1921 in Cleveland, Ohio, Cleveland Clinic is a nonprofit, multi-specialty academic healthcare system that integrates clinical and hospital care with research, innovation and education. Today, Cleveland Clinic is one of the largest and most respected international hospital systems in the world.
The mission of Cleveland Clinic is caring for life, researching for health, educating those who serve.
Since our founding more than 100 years ago, Cleveland Clinic has been a leading medical innovator and a trusted provider of care and education. Our discoveries have saved millions of lives, and our practices have become standard in medicine today. Cleveland Clinic believes that medical innovation significantly benefits patient care through new and better treatments, better outcomes and more efficient approaches.
How We Protect Your Data
Even prior to the recent technological advances in data science, collecting and analyzing information in healthcare has been an integral part of medical discovery. Collaborations with medical schools, hospitals, biomedical research institutions and industry have always been an accelerating force. We will continue to collaborate and partner with others to advance medicine. As patients trust us to be the best provider of their care, we acknowledge that their personal health information is sacred. We appreciate that patients also trust us to be good stewards of this data and use it for innovation and research. Throughout the analysis, discovery and publication process, Cleveland Clinic adheres to universal principles of patient privacy when it comes to their personal information and putting patients first.
Cleveland Clinic remains committed to ensuring that innovation will be managed with extraordinary sensitivity and accountability to optimally protect our patients, the communities we serve and the organization. Cleveland Clinic will:
- Collect, use and analyze data and biospecimens to improve the lives of those we care for, educate those who serve, generate new knowledge in research and discovery and address health and healthcare disparities.
- Protect data by using state-of-the-art data privacy monitoring tools and services. We will require the same of our partners.
- Partner with organizations and institutions to collectively use data for clinical, scientific and technological advancements.
- Educate our caregivers and hold them accountable to appropriate data use policies and practices.
- Improve patients’ access to their personal health information, and educate them on how to use their information to monitor and improve their health and wellness.
- Protect patient data and privacy rights and responsibilities, while operating with transparency.
- Comply with applicable laws and regulations for use of patient data.
- Comply with data breach reporting and notification requirements.
- Not allow our collaborators, partners or caregivers to unjustly deny or discriminate their services to our patients due to data obtained from or about them.
- Reinvest value generated by data-related innovations into our mission for patient care, prioritizing research, education and discovery.