Treatment & Services
- Artificial Urinary Sphincter Implantation
- Male Sling Procedure
- Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery (Male)
- Penile Prosthesis Implantation
- Penile Reconstructive Surgery For Peyronie's Disease
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Benign Prostatic Enlargement (BPH)
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Hydrocele | Spermatocele
- Penile Fracture
- Peyronie's Disease
- Urinary Incontinence
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Medical Education - University of Michigan Medical School
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Undergraduate - University of Michigan
No undergraduate degree
Ann Arbor, MI USA
- Honorary Member, Asia-Pacific Society for Impotence Research
- Honorary Member, Korean Urological Association
- Honorary Member, Venezuelan Urological Society
- Foreign Corresponding Member, Columbian Society of Urology
- Corresponding Member, Chilean Society of Urology
Reconstructive surgery for Peyronie’s Disease, Peyronie's disease, penile prosthesis implantation, artificial urinary sphincter implantation, erectile dysfunction, impotence, male urinary incontinence
Awards & Honors
- Who's Who in the World, 2010-
- Honorary Member, Gold Humanism Honor Society (Arnold P. Gold Foundation), 2009
- ACGME Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award, 2009
- Top Docs, Cleveland Magazine, 1998–
- Who's Who in America, 1996–
- Urology Teacher of the Year Award, 2006–2007
- America's Best Doctors, Castle Connelly, 1992–
- Russell and Mary Hugh Scott Education Award, American Urological Association, 1989
- F. Brantley Scott Award of Excellence, 2011
- Sexual Medicine Society of North America, Lifetime Achievement Award, 2016
- American Urological Association, Presidential Citation, 2016
Innovations & Patents
- Penile corporeal excavation -- surgical procedure to remove scar tissue for penile prosthesis implantation following removal of infected penile prostheses or for erectile dysfunction following ischemic priapism (Montague DK, Angermeier KW: Corporeal excavation: new technique for penile prosthesis implantation in men with severe corporeal fibrosis. Urol 67: 1072-1075, 2006)
- American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- President, Sexual Medicine Society of North America, 1995-1996
- American Urological Association
- President, Society of Urologic Prosthetic Surgery, 2010 - 2012
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 12/6/2019, Dr. Montague has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
118 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
16 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Aug 26, 2020
All dealings with Cleveland Clinic are best in class. Dr. Montague is absolutely the greatest.
Reviewed on Aug 19, 2020
Dr. Montague did a good job of explaining and deciding with me about future treatment.
Reviewed on Aug 3, 2020
An excellent experience! Everyone, from the shuttle driver, the receptionists, nurses, aids, and Dr. Montague were all friendly, compassionate, helpful and knowledgeable.
Reviewed on Jun 22, 2020
Dr. Montague conveys his desire to help his patient. Please convey my gratitude to him for how he does patient care.
Reviewed on Jun 8, 2020
Dr. Montague is excellent. He has fifty years of experience, is very intelligent, and I know he cares about his patients.
Reviewed on May 18, 2020
as always The doctor and nurses was very respectful and very concerned
Reviewed on Apr 27, 2020
very professional and knowledgeable, everyone of my Doctors.
Reviewed on Apr 20, 2020
I felt comfortable with Dr. Montague and confident in his abilities.
Reviewed on Feb 10, 2020
Dr. Montague was able to arrange all the testing I needed the same day which was excellent since I live 200 miles from the Clinic.
Reviewed on Jan 15, 2020
Doctor was very knowledgeable and explained situation very well
Reviewed on Nov 20, 2019
a fantastic doctor. couldn't ask a better visit including all the staff I came in contact with. thanks a million.
Reviewed on Nov 18, 2019
Previous patient of Dr Montaque. He's the best.
Reviewed on Nov 4, 2019
Great visit to Cleveland Clinic. Great caring doctor.
Reviewed on Oct 28, 2019
had to wait over two hours beyond the appointment time to see Dr. this was way too long!
Reviewed on Oct 21, 2019
I enjoyed my visit with the Dr.. He answered all my questions and he was able to spend time doing so.
Reviewed on Oct 9, 2019
Dr. Montigue was extremely caring and understanding of my issues. He explained everything in detail and helped setting up the next steps I had to persue.
© 2020 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.