Raising children and learning what they need to thrive changes as they age. Cleveland Clinic Children's is here to guide you through the journey. From birth to adulthood, we give you advice on everything from easing your child's fears about the dentist to talking to your teenager about drugs. Ages & Stages has easy-to-read information giving you what you need to meet your family's healthcare needs.
Each age group features articles on:
- Sports & Fitness (starting with Toddler)
- Well-child Care
Information to help new parents understand the behavior and needs of a newborn, and tips on establishing healthy habits during a baby's first year.
- Kangaroo Care
- Choosing a Pediatric Care Provider
- Newborn Baby: When to Call the Doctor
- Newborn Care in the Hospital
- Umbilical Cord Appearance and Care
- Repositioning Techniques for Infants
- Protecting Your Child's Vision
- Eyeglasses for Infants and Children
The toddler years are full of "firsts." Learn what to expect at your toddler's first dental visit, how to help your child combat his or her fears, and how to handle a temper tantrum. See our tips on establishing life-long healthy eating habits during your child's first three years.
Preschoolers are ready to branch out and explore their world. Learn how to instill healthy nutritional habits while encouraging your child to try new activities and new foods. These also are the years to teach your child good dental habits and schedule an eye exam.
Between the ages of 5 and 12, children tend to be very active, both on and off the playground. Learn how to instill healthy eating and snacking habits in your child, and how to teach them about safety on the sports field.
- High Cholesterol in Children
- Low-Fat Snack Ideas for Kids
- Nutrition and Dental Health
- Obesity in Children
- Overweight Children
Sports & Fitness
- Sports Physicals
- Mouth Guards
- In-line Skating and Skateboard Safety
- Precautions for the Young Female Athlete
During adolescence, teens often struggle with their body changes, mood swings and social issues. Preventative healthcare habits during ages 12 to 18, such as skin care, hygiene and healthy body size, can last a lifetime. Learn how to navigate the adolescent years, including how to foster healthy conversations with your adolescent about peer pressure, body self-image, rape and alcohol/drug abuse.
- What Parents of Teenagers Should Know About Alcohol
- How to Talk to Your Adolescent Girl About her Body
- Rape and Date Rape
- Mom and Dad are Using Drugs