We are the premier institution for hip and knee surgery across South Florida and the Treasure Coast. Our surgeons specialize in advanced and complex surgeries, including multiple techniques for joint replacements. We have all the specialists you need, including orthopaedic surgeons, rheumatologists, physical therapists and radiologists in one convenient setting.
Hip and Knee Surgery: Why Choose Cleveland Clinic Florida?
When you choose Cleveland Clinic Florida for hip and knee surgery, you benefit from:
- A wide range of advanced surgeries: Our orthopaedic surgeons perform the full range of hip and knee surgeries, ranging from arthroscopy to total joint replacements. We use advanced techniques that lead to better outcomes. For example, we are one of the only places in the region offering direct anterior hip replacements. This unique approach involves smaller incisions and almost no muscle cutting, leading to reduced pain, quicker recovery and same-day discharge.
- Expertise in revision surgeries: Total joint replacements are among the most common elective surgeries in the U.S. Many patients who undergo a joint replacement will eventually outlive their implants and require revision surgeries. As a referral center for failed implants, Cleveland Clinic Florida’s Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Institute is staffed with surgeons who have extensive training and experience in revision and robotic-assisted joint replacement surgery.
- Optimized recovery: We collaborate closely with multiple specialists to ensure you recover well after surgery. For example, you may work with our rehabilitation and sports therapy team to participate in prehabilitation. With prehab, you complete physical therapy to increase strength before your hip or knee replacement. Prehab leads to shorter recovery times and improved function.
- Recognized excellence: Our knee and hip surgeons have achieved recognition for their world-class care. Several of our locations have designations for excellence in knee and hip surgery. For example, Cleveland Clinic Martin Health is a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip replacement with Florida Blue. U.S. News & World Report has consistently ranked Cleveland Clinic Martin Health and Cleveland Clinic Indian River Hospital as high-performing hospitals and ranks Cleveland Clinic Weston among the top five hospitals in Florida.
Hip & Knee Pain
The pain experienced as a result of hip and knee injuries can vary from infected joint replacements to severe bone deficiencies. Our surgeons utilize the most innovative joint replacement methods. Cleveland Clinic Florida orthopaedic surgeons perform thousands of hip and knee procedures each year with successful outcomes for our patients. Our surgical team specializes in primary, complex and revision joint replacements, minimally invasive partial joint replacements, hip resurfacing and advanced arthroscopic techniques.
Cleveland Clinic Florida is one of the only hospitals in the region to offer minimally invasive direct anterior hip replacement surgery, an advanced procedure involving no muscle cutting. The procedure spares any invasion into the large muscle or tendon groups around the hip and is usually done through a smaller incision.
Minimally invasive direct anterior hip replacement surgery typically provides the following benefits:
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker recovery times
- Less pain and need for pain medications
- Less risk of dislocation and no need for postoperative restrictions in motion
- Use of assistive devices (walkers or canes) for shorter times (typically 7-10 days only)
Robotic-Assisted Joint Replacement Surgery
Surgeons with the Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Institute at Cleveland Clinic Florida provide robotic-assisted joint replacements. These surgeries involve the use of a robotic arm to operate with more precision. An experienced orthopaedic surgeon guides the robot during surgery and operates with tiny surgical tools through a small incision.
Robotic hip and knee replacements allow us to create surgical plans unique to your anatomy. We can even perform virtual run-throughs (simulations) before surgery to ensure we use the best approach.
Robotic joint replacement surgery isn’t for everyone. You may be a candidate if you have persistent hip or knee pain from degenerative, post-traumatic or rheumatoid arthritis.
What We Treat
We offer a broad range of treatment options and state-of-the-art diagnostic tools with decades of experience. Common conditions we treat include:
- Bone infections (osteomyelitis).
- Hip fracture.
- Meniscal tears.
- Trochanteric bursitis.
Hip and Knee Surgeries We Offer
We provide comprehensive surgical care for conditions causing long-term hip pain or knee pain. We use minimally invasive techniques as often as possible. These approaches lead to benefits such as:
- Decreased need for pain medications.
- Faster recovery.
- Reduced pain.
- Shorter hospital stays.
Some of the common procedures we use include:
Hip or knee arthroscopy
During arthroscopy, we view your knee or hip by inserting a small tool with a camera (arthroscope) through a tiny incision. Your surgeon may use arthroscopy to diagnose the cause of hip or knee pain. Or, your surgeon may use arthroscopy to treat synovitis, inflamed tissue around your joints, or other conditions such as:
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears.
- Femoroacetabular impingement (FAI).
- Hip dysplasia.
- Hip labral tear.
- Iliotibial band syndrome.
Our surgeons specialize in advanced and complex joint replacements, including:
- Partial knee replacements, removing and replacing only one damaged portion (compartment) of the knee.
- Joint resurfacing, shaving a small portion of your bone and capping it with a smooth metal covering.
- Minimally invasive joint replacements, replacing the hip or knee joint with prosthetic parts by operating with small tools through tiny incisions.
- Direct anterior hip replacements, replacing the hip without making incisions in any large muscle or tendon groups.
- Revision replacements, removing and replacing some or all of a prosthetic implant from a previous joint replacement surgery.
Appointments & Locations
To schedule a consultation, please call 877.463.2010 for Weston & Indian River and 844.630.4968 for Martin Health. You can also make an appointment online.
You can now stay connected to your healthcare team through virtual visits, using your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Why go virtual? It's easy, convenient and secure way to see your provider face-to-face without having to leave home. This saves you travel time, parking fee's and time spent in the waiting room — and you can also have a loved one or caregiver join you. If appropriate, you can also get prescription sent to the pharmacy of your choice.
Many insurance companies cover the cost of virtual visits, so check with your insurance company ahead of time. Interested in getting started? Call your provider to find out what virtual visit options are available.