A cancer diagnosis can take a toll on your emotional health just as much as your physical health. That’s why we offer the latest techniques and treatments while providing you with the comfort and support you need. We treat all gynecologic cancers, including endometrial, uterine, ovarian, cervical, vaginal and vulvar cancers.
Gynecologic Oncology: Why Choose Cleveland Clinic Florida?
At Cleveland Clinic Florida, you receive a customized treatment plan created by our multidisciplinary team. Our gynecologic oncologists work closely with other Cleveland Clinic Florida specialists to provide complete cancer care. We partner with our medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgeons and other specialists when needed. When you choose us for your care, you experience:
- Female cancer expertise: Our doctors are board certified in both gynecologic oncology and obstetrics and gynecology. This double certification means they have completed both OB-GYN training and intensive training in gynecologic cancer. As our patient, you have access to doctors who have deep knowledge of the latest treatments. Meet our gynecologic oncology team.
- Leading-edge surgical techniques: We provide the most advanced gynecologic cancer surgeries available, including minimally invasive laparoscopic and robotic surgeries. Our surgeons are highly skilled and experienced in these delicate procedures. With their expertise, our surgeons perform surgeries with smaller incisions and exceptional accuracy so you have a faster recovery.
- Genetic expertise: Genetics play an important role in many types of cancer. Our on-staff geneticist performs specialized testing to pinpoint specific genetic markers. These tests allow our doctors to customize your treatment based on your individual genes or cancer makeup.
- Multidisciplinary tumor board: When specialists work together, they can combine their knowledge — and that benefits our patients. That’s why we have a tumor board with specialists from gynecologic oncology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, colorectal surgery, urology and pathology. These experts meet regularly to discuss individual cases and determine the best possible care for our patients.
- Research and clinical trials: As a leading academic institution, our doctors and scientists lead and participate in major clinical trials. As part of this research, eligible patients have access to the newest gynecologic cancer treatments before they’re widely available.
- Patient support: We provide compassion and care for your whole health with beauty and hair services, massage and stress management. Learn more about our cancer support services.
Gynecologic Cancer Diagnosis
Catching cancer early improves the chances of successful treatment. Our providers are skilled in performing the latest tests to diagnosis and guide your treatment. At Cleveland Clinic Florida, we have leading-edge tools for diagnosing gynecologic cancers, including:
- Hysteroscopy with dilation and curettage.
- Imaging tests.
Our women’s health specialists use a specialized microscope (called a colposcope) to examine the cervix, vagina or vulva for pre-cancerous cells. This in-office procedure provides a view of the reproductive organs that is much more detailed than a standard pelvic exam. A colposcopy allows our doctors to spot these cancers early when they are easier to treat.
Hysteroscopy with dilation and curettage
Diagnostic hysteroscopy with dilation and curettage is the gold standard for diagnosing endometrial cancer. This procedure allows your doctor to view the inside of the uterus and take a biopsy (sample) of the cells if needed. Your physician inserts a tiny camera through the vagina and cervix. If your doctor sees any abnormalities, they can take a biopsy during the same procedure.
Our imaging experts perform specialized tests to help diagnose endometrial, uterine, ovarian, cervical, vulvar and vaginal cancer. We use ultrasound, MRI, CT/PET scans and lymphoscintigraphy to generate a clear, accurate picture of any potential tumors. We also use ultrasound-guided biopsies to locate and remove tissue with minimally invasive techniques. Learn more about our comprehensive imaging services.
What We Treat
Gynecologic Cancer Treatment in South Florida and the Treasure Coast
Our comprehensive team cares for cancers that affect the female reproductive organs. We diagnose and treat gynecologic cancers of every type and stage. Our comprehensive care includes:
- Chemotherapy infusion.
- Clinical trials.
- Loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP).
- Cancer drugs and medical therapies.
- Medication management for older adults.
- Gynecologic cancer surgery.
- Radiation therapy.
- Support services.
Our state-of-the-art chemotherapy infusion suites are designed to provide you with a healing environment. Our chemotherapy-certified registered nurses deliver your infusion treatments. These specialist nurses also educate and support you and your care partner and are present throughout the entire procedure.
Our infusion suites are equipped with a television and supplied with snacks. When possible, your support person is welcome to stay in the suite during treatment to aid your healing process.
Cleveland Clinic is a member of NRG Oncology, an organization sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). As part of the Cleveland Clinic health system, we participate in clinical trials. These trials offer eligible patients the newest cancer treatments before they’re widely available.
Loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP)
Loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) is an in-office procedure that removes pre-cancerous cells from the cervix. You don’t need a hospital stay or general anesthesia. Our team provides for your comfort throughout the treatment with local anesthesia (topical numbing).
Cancer drugs and medical therapies
Our team of skilled medical oncologists provides the latest drug treatments for gynecologic cancers. Ovarian and endometrial cancer treatment often requires hormonal medications. We customize your medications based on your genetics and specific diagnosis.
We also offer targeted therapy for uterine, ovarian, and cervical cancer treatment. Targeted therapy — treatments aimed at specific parts of cancer cells — may have a lower risk of side effects than other treatments.
Medication management for older adults
Our team includes doctors who work with older adults to manage their medications. Our geriatricians make sure you have the right type and dose of medications. This care maximizes your well-being and helps prevent side effects.
Gynecologic cancer surgery
When surgery is part of your care plan, our surgeons offer the latest and most advanced options. Our surgeons have additional training in operations for gynecologic cancer, including:
- Laparoscopic surgery: This minimally invasive surgery technique uses small incisions and a special camera to remove gynecologic tumors. Our skilled surgeons can treat endometrial and some ovarian cancers with this method. Most women experience a faster recovery and lower risk of complications.
- Robotic-assisted surgeries: Robotic-assisted surgeries allow your surgeon to maneuver slim, robotic tools in ways that human hands can’t. The robotic tools are steady and precise, which increases accuracy and safety. Our surgeons are specially trained in robotic surgery, allowing them to perform these advanced procedures.
- Traditional surgery: You might need surgery with a larger incision if minimally invasive surgery isn’t suitable for your diagnosis. Our highly trained gynecologic oncologists work with other specialists when needed so you receive complete care. With our comprehensive team and expert surgeons, we perform complex and rare surgeries for all types of gynecologic tumors.
- Sentinel lymph node mapping: This minimally invasive test can detect whether endometrial, cervical, and vulvar cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. Instead of removing many lymph nodes, our surgeons remove only one or two highly selective lymph nodes. This technique decreases the risk of complications and provides an accurate diagnosis.
Radiation therapy is a nonsurgical treatment that can destroy cancer cells or keep tumors from growing. Our Radiation Therapy Center provides the latest, most sophisticated techniques for treating gynecologic cancers. Our radiation treatments include:
- Custom brachytherapy.
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT).
- Radiosurgical treatment.
Our radiation treatment team includes highly trained radiation oncologists, medical physicists, radiation therapists and radiation therapy nurses. Learn more about radiation therapy at Cleveland Clinic Florida’s Cancer Centers.
Appointments & Locations
To schedule an appointment with a Cleveland Clinic Florida gynecologic oncologist, please call 1.877.463.2010.
You can now stay connected to your healthcare team through virtual visits, using your smartphone, tablet or computer.
Why go virtual? It's an easy, convenient and secure way to see your provider face-to-face without having to leave home. This saves you travel time, parking fees and time spent in the waiting room — and you can also have a loved one or caregiver join you. If appropriate, you can also get a prescription sent to the pharmacy of your choice.
Many insurance companies cover the cost of virtual visits, so check with your insurance company ahead of time. Interested in getting started? Call your provider to find out what virtual visit options are available.