Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery is a life-changing treatment for many women’s health conditions. That’s why our experienced surgeons perform the full range of advanced, minimally invasive and robotic surgeries for gynecological conditions. We treat endometriosis, fibroids, heavy periods, ovarian cysts, infertility and other gynecological conditions.
Our experts take the time to answer your questions and don’t pressure you into procedures. We believe every woman should decide whether surgery is right for her. We also specialize in nonsurgical management of these conditions.
Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery: Why Choose Cleveland Clinic Florida?
Our team includes experts who completed additional years of training in medical and surgical gynecologic treatments. When you come to us for minimally invasive gynecologic surgery, you experience:
- Expert Team: Our surgeons have years of clinical experience treating gynecologic conditions. Studies show that the more experienced your surgeon, the more likely you will have a positive outcome. Meet our minimally invasive gynecologic surgery team.
- Complete care: Multiple experts work together to provide you with comprehensive care. Our team includes urological, colorectal, general and gynecologic surgeons. Each surgeon contributes their own knowledge and talent to your care, so you have a multispecialty team on your side.
- Master-level robotic surgeons: Our team includes surgeons who are certified at the master level for robotic surgery. Master level means they have performed a high volume of robotic surgeries with successful results. Our surgeons use the da Vinci robot to perform surgery with steadiness and precision in tiny incisions.
- Thorough diagnosis: We use leading-edge diagnostic tools to create a treatment plan that will work best for you. Several of our clinics provide in-office ultrasounds and hysteroscopy without sedation (medicine to make you sleep). This means you can get answers and get back to your daily activities sooner.
- Educating tomorrow’s surgeons: Our laparoscopic surgeons deliver consistently positive outcomes and have focused expertise. As a leading academic institution, many of our surgeons are certified as teachers for tomorrow’s gynecologic surgeons.
Treatments & Procedures
Minimally Invasive Treatment Options We Provide for Women
With our doctors’ high level of skill and experience, you have access to the full range of options for your care. We treat all gynecology conditions, including complex cases. Our doctors also offer second opinions and perform revisions of previous surgeries. Treatments we offer include:
- Endometriosis surgery and management.
- Fertility enhancing surgery.
- Menorrhagia treatment.
- Ovarian cyst removal.
- Pelvic organ prolapse surgery.
- Uterine fibroids treatment.
Endometriosis surgery and management
Endometriosis can cause pain, infertility and adhesions (scar tissue that makes organs stick together). With our minimally invasive approaches, we remove scar tissue and adhesions with small incisions. These techniques help you have a faster recovery.
Your doctor will explain all your treatment options so you can make the best choice. Our team treats endometriosis with a variety of methods, including:
- Hormonal therapy or medications for pain.
- Laparoscopic surgery.
- Robotic surgery.
Fertility enhancing surgery
Many women have infertility because of conditions that affect the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries. Uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis or disease in the fallopian tubes may decrease fertility. Our surgeons use the latest laparoscopic or robotic approaches to clear blockages and scar tissue from the pelvic organs.
With these problems removed, you have a better chance of pregnancy. We also help women who have scar tissue or complications from previous surgeries. Even if your case is complex, our surgeons have the skill and experience to care for you.
Heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia) can have many causes, from hormonal problems to fibroids to endometriosis. Our doctors provide the full range of options to identify and treat the cause. Some of the options we provide include:
- Hysterectomy: If you decide hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) is right for you, we will walk you through the process. We provide laparoscopic and robotic-assisted hysterectomies for less pain and a faster recovery than traditional surgery.
- Medications: Surgery isn’t always best for you, depending on your diagnosis and unique needs. Our doctors are trained in nonsurgical treatments for heavy periods and abnormal bleeding.
Ovarian cyst treatment
Ovarian cysts can cause pelvic pain, irregular periods and a feeling of fullness or bloating in the belly. In rare cases, ovarian cysts can rupture and cause severe pain, vomiting and serious complications.
Our surgeons treat benign (non-cancerous) ovarian cysts by removing the cyst or draining it. Our minimally invasive techniques allow you to have a faster recovery and smaller incision. We refer you to our gynecologic oncologists if the cyst could possibly be cancerous. Learn more about our comprehensive gynecologic oncology services.
Pelvic organ prolapse surgery
Our urogynecologists perform minimally invasive surgeries to lift and support the pelvic organs. We provide sacrocolpopexy with abdominal mesh or your own tissue.
We also perform revision surgeries for women who have complications from vaginal mesh. Learn more about our urogynecology and pelvic floor treatment.
Uterine fibroids treatment
Uterine fibroids are growths inside the uterus that are usually benign (non-cancerous). Fibroids can cause a variety of symptoms like pain, infertility and heavy bleeding. We create a treatment plan for uterine fibroids that’s customized for you. The number, size and location of fibroids, as well as your personal preferences, determine how we move forward with treatment.
We work with other specialists, such as interventional radiologists, to offer a range of surgical and nonsurgical options to manage fibroids. Surgery to remove fibroids is called a myomectomy. Our surgeons perform various types of myomectomy, including:
- Hysteroscopy: With this procedure, our surgeons use a thin tool that goes into the uterus from the vagina without any incisions. During a hysteroscopy, we can diagnose or remove uterine fibroids or take a biopsy (sample of tissue). With our advanced techniques, many patients can avoid general anesthesia and get back to their activities sooner.
- Laparoscopy: Our surgeons use a scope (camera) to see inside the pelvis with small incisions in the abdomen. With thin instruments, our skilled surgeons can remove fibroids and leave the uterus in place. A laparoscopy may be done with robotic assistance, depending on your individual case.
- Hysterectomy: Removing the uterus is an effective way to treat fibroids, but our surgeons understand this option isn’t for everyone. We explain your options and listen to your preferences. If a hysterectomy is right for you, we use minimally invasive techniques that offer faster recovery.