Program Director's Message
Welcome to the pediatric residency program at Cleveland Clinic Children’s! We are thrilled that you are considering joining us for the next phase of your pediatric career. We are looking for diverse, motivated individuals who are passionate about the comprehensive care of children. Whether your professional goals are to provide pediatric primary care in the medical home or to pursue subspecialty training, Cleveland Clinic Children’s will provide you the education and skills you need to thrive.
Our patients represent urban, suburban, and rural populations of varying ethnic backgrounds and socioeconomic statuses. You will have an opportunity to work in different healthcare settings during your general pediatric rotations and continuity clinics that represent the current healthcare environment with a strong focus on population health. Your inpatient general pediatric rotations are led by pediatric hospitalists who specialize in the care of the hospitalized pediatric patients.
Your education will also be supported by subspecialty training opportunities. Our children’s hospital is well-staffed in all pediatric subspecialties, so we are able to provide comprehensive care for children with any level of medical challenges, and for our residents, a broad exposure to all career possibilities. You will round out your education with elective opportunities that meet your personal and professional needs and interests. Also, we take pride in our resident-driven wellness program, incorporating educational sessions and activities both during the work day and outside of the hospital.
Lastly, we are very excited to be part of an immersion curriculum pilot, separating inpatient and outpatient experiences to provide better focus in both areas and a better balanced schedule to improve the training experience for our residents.
We are incredibly proud of our residents! We strive to foster an atmosphere of lifelong learning and passion for the promotion of the health of children. Our residency graduates are pediatricians – both primary care physicians and subspecialists – locally, around the country and around the world!
Thank you again for expressing interest in our pediatric residency program. We accept applications through ERAS for the upcoming academic year which begins on July 1st. We look forward to hearing from you!
Charles Kwon, MD
Pediatric Residency Program Director
Chief Residents' Message
Welcome to Cleveland Clinic Children’s Pediatric Residency Program! We are excited that you would like to learn more about our program and want to thank you for your interest. We are extremely proud of our residents and the great clinical, educational, and research opportunities that Cleveland Clinic Children’s offers. We hope to share with you why we believe our program provides one of the most comprehensive and unique pediatric residency experiences.
Cleveland Clinic Children’s offers our pediatric patients access to the vast resources available at the Cleveland Clinic, one of the top two medical centers in the United States (U.S. News & World Report, 2018-19). It is our residents that make our program so unique and strong. With cultures and nationalities spanning the globe, our residents bring with them a diverse set of professional and personal experiences, skills, and knowledge. Yet we create and highly value a cohesive, collaborative learning environment.
Cleveland Clinic Children’s is known for state-of-the-art pediatric and neonatal intensive care units, staffed 24 hours a day with in-house senior staff that teach and assist residents in patient management. Our residents have the unique opportunity to rotate at our freestanding children’s rehabilitation hospital, one of only 12 in the United States. The rehabilitation hospital includes a pediatric dialysis unit, a developmental pediatrics program, a feeding disorders clinic, a pain management program and an autism center. Our residents are exposed to a variety of hospital settings including a tertiary care center at main campus, complemented by two affiliated community hospitals. We provide strong outpatient experience in both general pediatrics and subspecialty care, with one-on-one staff teaching being the rule rather than the exception.
Whether your career goals include academic medicine, community practice, or further fellowship training, Cleveland Clinic Children’s will give you the foundation you need. Residents leave our program fully prepared to handle any career path they choose. We have experienced passionate faculty mentors in all areas to guide you towards a successful pediatric career.
Thank you for expressing interest in our program and we hope you consider joining us in the next phase of your professional life! We look forward to hearing from you during this year's application season. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions about our program, recruitment process or living in Cleveland!
Megh Trivedi, MD and Dayne Bonzo, DO
2019-2020 Pediatric Chief Residents
The Cleveland Clinic Children’s Residency Experience
Cleveland Clinic Children’s provides pediatric patients access to the vast resources available at Cleveland Clinic. The majority of our pediatric residency program’s educational experiences take place at Cleveland Clinic Children’s on our Main Campus. Here are just a few of the many special features of our children's hospital:
- State of the art pediatric and neonatal intensive care units that are staffed 24 hours a day with senior in-house staff that teach and assist residents in patient management.
- The tertiary care center of Cleveland Clinic’s Main Campus is complemented by two affiliated community hospitals - Hillcrest and Fairview hospitals.
- Freestanding children’s rehabilitation hospital, one of only four in the United States. Programs featured at the rehabilitation hospital include: a pediatric dialysis unit, developmental pediatrics, a feeding disorders clinic, a chronic pain management unit, an autism center and school.
- Cleveland Clinic Children’s boasts three Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Units: Main Campus, Hillcrest Hospital and Fairview Hospital. We also have a Special Delivery Unit where women with complex medical conditions and anticipated neonatal complications can safely deliver in a state of the art facility.
- Residents teach and supervise medical students from Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University Medical School, and visiting medical students on third-year core pediatric rotations and acting internship rotations.
- Residents receive special training on how to be a teacher and how to give feedback.
- Research experience, basic training in biostatistics as well as a detailed curriculum in the critical analysis of medical literature (including research methodology and biostatistics).
- Opportunity to present research each year at our Annual Pediatric Research Day, with cash prizes awarded for the best projects.
- A free standing outpatient children’s hospital with multiple subspecialty clinics and pharmacy as well as child friendly imaging and laboratory services
- Wellness: Sessions focused on resident wellness activities and resources to help support their work life balance.
We invite you to compare our program to others, and encourage you to visit and do an elective with us so you can see the advantages of our system firsthand.
- Charles Kwon, MD, Residency Program Director
- Katie Pestak, DO, Associate Residency Program Director
- Roopa Thakur, MD, Associate Residency Program Director
- Karen Murray, MD, Chair, Pediatric Institute and Cleveland Clinic Children's
- Camille Sabella, MD, Vice Chair of Pediatric Institute
- Ann Marie Kozlowski, Residency Program Coordinator
- Sarah Spurbeck,Administrative Program Coordinator
- Dayne Bonzo, DO, Chief Resident
- Megh Trivedi, MD, Chief Resident