Energy-Based Treatments and Vaginal Rejuvenation
What are energy-based treatments?
Energy-based treatments are nonsurgical procedures that use heat. The treatments are done with a device that focuses the energy and heats the tissue. Energy-based devices are used for skin treatments, and more recently, for vaginal rejuvenation. When used in the vagina, the goal is to enhance collagen, blood vessels, tightness and lubrication.
What is vaginal rejuvenation?
Vaginal rejuvenation is a broad term that covers several vaginal corrective procedures. These procedures are meant to correct problems that can occur after giving birth or during the aging process. Conditions can include:
- Laxity (lack of tightness) of the vagina
- Stress urinary incontinence
- Lack of lubrication
Who gets this treatment?
The two main groups of women who get this treatment are:
- Postmenopausal women
- Postpartum women
What are the different types of energy-based treatments for vaginal rejuvenation?
There are two types of energy-based treatments for vaginal rejuvenation. Both treatments use heat.
- Radiofrequency (RF) treatments: Electromagnetic waves are used in RF devices. Similar to the waves used in a microwave – but to a lesser extent – the energy is focused to heat the tissue. Brand names of RF devices include Geneveve by Viveve and ThermiVa.
- CO2 laser treatment: The laser heats up the upper layers of the tissue, causing the tissue in the lower layers to make more collagen. This makes the skin firmer and tighter. Brand names of laser devices include MonaLisa Touch®, FemTouch™ and FemiLift.
What are other treatments for vaginal rejuvenation?
Other treatment options for vaginal rejuvenation can include:
- Kegel and pelvic floor exercises: These exercises are meant to strengthen the muscles in and around the vagina.
- Vaginoplasty: This surgical procedure tightens the vagina.