Pre & post-op checklist
How should you prepare for a cosmetic procedure? There are many details that go into planning your cosmetic surgery. At Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center, we help ensure that we thoroughly communicate details that can make your overall experience easier – before and after surgery.
Below find checklists to help you be prepared.
- Tell your doctor about any medications you are taking or plan to take throughout your recovery. Vitamins, minerals and herbs can interact with medications.
- If your cosmetic procedure is completed as an outpatient, make certain you plan for someone to drive you to and from surgery and to stay with you for at least the first night following surgery.
- In advance of the surgery, fill any prescriptions that will be necessary post-operatively.
- Follow instructions regarding food and drink; most cosmetic surgeries require no eating or drinking after midnight.
- Stop smoking well in advance of your surgery. Smoking can create nausea and aggravate the lungs during surgery, as well as slow your recovery process.
- Pack your bag the night before surgery. Bring any personal items that you might need.
- Remove credit cards or valuables from your purse or wallet the night before surgery.
- Do not wear any jewelry on the day of the procedure.
- Bring a container to hold your eyeglasses or contact lenses as needed.
- Bring comfortable clothes to wear after the procedure.
- Bring your insurance card, advance directive, living will or medical power of attorney documents.
The day of surgery
- Arrive at the time your cosmetic surgeon recommends to ensure enough time to prepare for the procedure.
- Make certain to have someone stay with you for the amount of time recommended by your cosmetic surgeon.
- After you are guided to your designated surgical area, ask any accompanying family members or friends to wait for you in the department's waiting area.
Immediately following surgery, you will be moved to a recovery area until the surgeon decides you are ready to be sent home or, less often, transferred to a hospital room or hotel for an overnight stay.
You will be scheduled for a follow-up visit after your surgery so that the surgeon can monitor the healing process and remove any stitches, if necessary. Also, you will receive a list of discharge instructions and medication instructions as well as emergency contact information regarding resources from Cleveland Clinic Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Center. If you have any questions, you should always call and speak to your doctor.