- Take SPIRIVA® once daily for best results. SPIRIVA HandiHaler® is not a "rescue" medicine. Do not use it to quickly relieve shortness of breath.
- SPIRIVA is for oral inhalation only. Do not swallow SPIRIVA capsules. Do not touch the pierced capsule. Wash your hands immediately if you touch a pierced capsule.
- Do not store capsules in the HandiHaler.
- Avoid getting SPIRIVA powder in your eyes.
- Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children.
Directions for use
- Pull open the dust cap and mouthpiece of the HandiHaler.
- Remove one SPIRIVA capsule from its package immediately before use. Separate the blister strip. Peel back the foil to the STOP line. If any other capsules are exposed to air by mistake, throw them out. Do not save exposed capsules for later use.
- PLACE the capsule in the center chamber.
- CLOSE the mouthpiece firmly until you hear a click.
- Keep the mouthpiece pointing up. PRESS the green button once. This pierces the capsule and releases the medicine.
- BREATHE OUT all the way. Do not breathe into the mouthpiece at any time.
- Keep your head upright. Close your lips tightly around the mouthpiece. BREATHE IN slowly and deeply, but strongly enough to make the capsule inside the HandiHaler vibrate. You will hear the vibrations.
- When your lungs are full, hold your breath.
- Exhale and breathe normally again.
- REPEAT steps 6 to 9 to be sure you get the full dose.
- Open the mouthpiece. Tip the HandiHaler so the used capsule falls out and into the garbage.
- Close the HandiHaler. Store it with your SPIRIVA capsules.
© Copyright 1995-2013 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All rights reserved.
This information is provided by the Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed on: 12/31/2011...#12596