Autism Spectrum Evaluation Team (A.S.E.T.)
Interdisciplinary Evaluation Clinic
Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder, which impacts communication, socialization, and behavior. Some children display signs of autism at a very early age. We will see children at the age of first concerns; children who show developmental delays and symptoms characteristic of an autism spectrum disorder, or who have failed an autism screenings. We also see adolescents and adults.
We conduct interdisciplinary evaluations, utilizing evidence based measures, allowing for multiple providers to spend time with the family and patient. This in turn allows us to provide a comprehensive evaluation of overall development and medical needs and offer families extensive treatment recommendations and guidance.
Interdisciplinary teams include a medical provider, psychologist, speech and language pathologist, and clinical assistant.
These evaluations take place over the course of two weeks (with a two-hour appointment each week), and then parents / patient returns for the results of their evaluation. Evaluations consist of:
- Consult with medical provider (Medical and developmental history)
- Diagnostic interview with psychologist
- ADOS (social/play based assessment)
- Speech and language evaluation
Families / patients receive a comprehensive report which includes treatment recommendations and referrals to community resources.
Coming in for a visit? View our visit guides for more information.
Arrange an Evaluation
To arrange an evaluation, please contact the Center for Autism at 216.448.6440.
Lerner School for Autism
The state-of-the-art Lerner School for Autism is the centerpiece of the 20,000-square-foot Debra Ann November Wing. The Lerner School is a chartered, non-public day school certified by the state of Ohio. The school serves students from age of earliest diagnosis through age 21 and consists of four divisions (preschool, primary, intermediate, and secondary) divided by the age of the student. The Lerner School provides a full-day (8:30am-3:00pm), year-round, intensive program utilizing the science of Applied Behavior Analysis.
Infant/Toddler and Preschool Program
This program focuses on teaching communication, play, socialization, and developmentally appropriate skills. We offer parents a variety of opportunities for coaching, including a lecture series and guided classroom and home visits.
This program focuses on teaching communication, play and leisure, socialization, vocational, self-help, fine motor, gross motor, adaptive behavior, and pre-academic/academic skills. We offer parents a variety of opportunities for coaching, including guided classroom and home visits.
Program highlights include:
- Assessments to drive individualized program development
- Individualized daily schedules
- Small staff to student ratio with opportunities for 2:1 and small group instruction
- Neuro-typical peer models in the Infant/Toddler and Preschool programs
- Speech language therapy services
- Determined based on the results of initial and on-going assessments
- Individual, group, integrated, and consultation services
- Collaboration with classroom staff through regular curriculum meetings and classroom consultation
With over 100 staff, the multi-disciplinary team at the Lerner school is comprised of:
- Speech Language Pathologists
- Occupational Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Classroom Behavioral Therapists
We offer free public tours which include an overview of our outreach and consultation services, a walkthrough of the Lerner School for Autism classrooms, as well as our dedicated clinical and research areas.
To schedule a tour call 216.448.6440.
Our tours are for informational purposes only and not medical or clinical consultation.
If you are interested in scheduling an individual consultation or assessment, please call 216.448.6440.
Cleveland Clinic Children’s Center for Autism offers multiple outpatient therapies across our two locations and in-home. All our therapists are trained in Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) and use behavioral techniques in therapy.
Speech & Language Therapy
The speech/language therapy team includes therapists trained in PROMPT©, a multidimensional approach to speech production. The Center for Autism’s outpatient speech department specializes in providing the following services for patients with ASD:
- Individual therapy
- Small group therapy
- Speech/language evaluations
- Augmentative/alternative communication evaluations
- Locations offered: Cleveland Clinic Children’s Hospital for Rehabilitation & Rocky River
Occupational therapists evaluate fine motor, play, sensory processing and self-care skills in children with ASD. They aim to maximize functional independence by teaching adaptive techniques and using adaptive equipment. These skills are important to everyday functioning, including school and home tasks.
- Locations offered: Rocky River
Our behavior therapists work with children who have ASD and their parents to manage behaviors, encourage academic success, and improve social and communication skills. We develop a specialized program just for you and your child using the science of ABA. Services include:
- Treatment planning
- Functional behavioral analysis
- Ongoing therapy
- Tutor training and support
- School-based support
- Parent training
- Available locations: Rocky River and in-home consultation)
For more information about outpatient services at the Cleveland Clinic Children’s Center for Autism, 216.448.6440.
School Consultation Services
The Cleveland Clinic Children’s Center for Autism partners with school districts across Ohio and the United States. We provide consultation, direct assistance and training utilizing ABA techniques and following the best evidence-based practices in every school district we serve. Services include:
- Behavior management
- Social and communication development
- Vocational learning
- Staff training and ongoing consultation
- IEP assistance
- Functional behavioral analysis
Support Groups & Training
The Cleveland Clinic Children’s Center for Autism offers a number of different support groups throughout the year. Whether you’re a parent, grandparent or someone else who cares about a child for autism we offer a wide variety of programming to support those living with a child with autism.
The Cleveland Clinic Children’s Center for Autism offers a variety of training and education opportunities open to parents, educators and anyone interested in learning more. Topics are updated regularly based upon interest. Examples of topics include:
- Foundations of Applied Behavior Analysis
- Paraprofessionals Workshop on Behavioral Techniques
- Applied Behavioral Analysis for Teachers
- Creating Independence at Home
- View upcoming support groups, trainings or other events happening at the Center for Autism
- Please register as early as possible. Seating is limited and space cannot be reserved without payment or purchase order.
- Parking at the Cleveland Clinic Children’s Center for Autism, Independence Family Health Center, and Lyndhurst campus is free and located on-site.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the start of the workshops in order to be signed in at the front desk.
- Please contact Cheryl Brooks 216.448.6438 in Patient Financial Services with questions about payment and/or invoices. Only those individuals who have pre-paid will be allowed to attend the workshop.