K. Kelly Hancock is Executive Chief Nursing Officer, CCHS and Chief Nursing Officer, Main Campus. She oversees the Chief Nursing Officers at Cleveland Clinic’s ten regional hospitals and Cleveland Clinic Florida, along with currently serving as Chief Nursing Officer at Cleveland Clinic’s Main Campus since July 2011. She is responsible for directing the clinical, academic and operational activities of the nursing staff throughout the health system, as well as the focus of nursing throughout the various institutes on the main campus. Over 25 years of nursing experience began at the Cleveland Clinic, where she continues to dedicate excellence, professionalism, and compassion to the nursing profession. She provides a strong administrative and clinical atmosphere that promotes staff education, staff development, and cohesion between all disciplines, professional nursing care and world class patient care throughout the health system.
Kelly obtained her DNP from Chamberlain College of Nursing and MSN from Breen School of Nursing at Ursuline College in Pepper Pike, Ohio. She is a board certified Nurse Executive through the American Nurse Credentialing Center, a member of the American Organization of Nurse Executive, the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, and the Honor Society of Nursing - Sigma Theta Tau International. Kelly was awarded Crain’s Cleveland Business Notable Woman in Healthcare in 2018, the Sones/Folvaro for Excellence in Nursing Collaboration in 2017, Distinguished Alumnae Award from Ursuline College in 2013, the ANCC Circle of Excellence Award in 2012, the 2010 Maria and Sam Miller Professional Excellence Nurse of the Year Award, is a recipient of the “Bruce Hubbard Stewart Fellow Award,” and was awarded “The Abbie Porter Leadership Award” which highlights Nursing Leadership in 2002 and 2009.
- DNP, Chamberlain College of Nursing, 2015
- MSN, Ursuline College Breen School of Nursing, Pepper Pike, Ohio, 2007
- BSN, Ursuline College Breen School of Nursing, Pepper Pike, Ohio, 1993
- Board Certified Nurse Executive (NE-BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS-CPR), American Heart Association
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), American Heart Association
9500 Euclid Avenue / NA4
Cleveland, Ohio 44195
On a daily basis, Hancock dedicates excellence, professionalism, and compassion to the nursing profession. She is a well-respected leader throughout Cleveland Clinic health system, actively participating on and leading numerous councils and committees. Her involvement includes the intensive care affinity and nursing practice councils, both of which she has co-chaired, the health system leadership council and physician nurse collaboration committee. She is also the executive team liaison for financial issues and leads a heart failure core measures initiative. Previously, Hancock served as interim executive chief nursing officer, senior nursing director of critical care and senior nursing director and nursing director of the renowned Cleveland Clinic Heart and Vascular Institute.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Hancock’s clinical experience lies within the area of cardiology, specifically cardiothoracic step-down and critical care.
Hancock has served as a preceptor to both master’s and bachelor’s prepared nursing students. As a preceptor, students observe all aspects of Hancock’s role as an executive nurse leader.
Research & Publications
An experienced presenter, Hancock has lectured on varying topics throughout her career, including the effects of assistant nurse managers around the clock, value-based purchasing and the role of the chief nursing officer, and managing conflicts constructively. When working in the Heart and Vascular Institute, she strongly promoted nursing research and investigation of clinical problems by all registered nurses, creating an expectation that each nursing unit be involved in some phase of the research process annually, whether working as co-investigator with a doctoral-prepared nurse researcher or as a principal investigator.
- Executive Leadership Committee Member, American Heart Association – Go Red for Women
- Chair, Service Delivery Committee, American Red Cross Board
- Co-Chair, Press Ganey Chief Nursing Officer Advisory Council
- Member, Hill-Rom Chief Nurse Executive Advisory Board
- Past-Board Member, American Red Cross Board
- Member, Holy Name Advisory Board
- Past-Member, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, American Association of Heart Failure Nurses, Association of Nurse Executives
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Society of Nursing
- United Way Generation Next Member for Greater Cleveland
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Nursing Alumnae Award, Ursuline College, 2013
- Stanley Shalom Endowed Chair for Nursing Advancement, 2012
- Annual Cleveland Clinic Kelly Hancock Nursing Excellence Awards Endowment, 2012
- Circle of Excellence Award, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, 2012
- Nurse of the Year – Maria and Sam Miller Professional Excellence Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2010
- Abbie Porter Leadership Nursing Excellence Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2009 and 2002
- Marilyn Tetonis Nursing Unit Nursing Excellence Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2001
- Bruce Hubbard Stewart Fellow Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2000