The Department of Nephrology and Hypertension at Cleveland Clinic in Florida provides complete care for common and complex kidney diseases. Nephrology refers to kidney medicine; hypertension is high blood pressure. Our kidney medicine specialists help people who have kidney disease, high blood pressure and other kidney-related issues.
Kidney Medicine (Nephrology) at Cleveland Clinic in Florida: Why Choose Us?
At Cleveland Clinic in Florida, you receive advanced kidney care from leading specialists throughout South Florida and the Treasure Coast. You benefit from:
- Team approach to care: Our kidney medicine doctors (nephrologists) work together to optimize your treatment. Our team also works closely with kidney medicine specialists at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio when appropriate. As our patient, you have access to some of the nation’s top kidney experts. Learn more about our recognitions and rankings.
- Comprehensive kidney services: We have the expertise to help, whether you need medications, dialysis management, kidney transplant or pre- and post-transplant care. Learn more about the kidney services we offer.
- Specialists in blood pressure disorders: We have kidney doctors who are Certified Hypertension Specialists. This certification from the American Society of Hypertension recognizes our doctors’ advanced training and expertise in managing difficult-to-treat blood pressure disorders. Learn more about the conditions we treat.
- Patient-centered approach: Kidney and blood pressure disorders affect everyone differently. Our team customizes a treatment plan that meets your unique needs.
- Multidisciplinary disease care: We offer specialized care for patients who have kidney disease and other complex conditions like liver disease. We make it easier for you to access all the medical services you need.
- Access to clinical trials and research: Our team often participates in research and clinical trials. You may be able to try leading-edge kidney disease or blood pressure treatments not widely available to the public. Talk to your provider to see if you’re eligible for a clinical trial.
Conditions We Treat
Our kidney doctors (nephrologists) diagnose and treat the full range of common to complex kidney disease and blood pressure issues. Our team uses the latest, most effective methods to protect your kidneys’ health.
We offer expert care for all types of kidney diseases:
- Acute kidney injury.
- Chronic kidney disease.
- Electrolyte disorders (high or low levels of electrolytes).
- End-stage renal (kidney) disease.
- Glomerular diseases, including glomerulonephritis.
- Hereditary kidney diseases, such as polycystic kidney disease.
- Kidney failure.
- Kidney stones.
- Nephrotic syndrome.
- Renal (kidney) vasculitis.
Blood pressure disorders
Some of our kidney doctors are Certified Hypertension Specialists, as recognized by the American Society of Hypertension. Our doctors expertly treat blood pressure disorders, including:
- High blood pressure (hypertension).
- Primary (essential) hypertension.
- Secondary hypertension.
- Renal hypertension.
- Resistant hypertension.
Kidney Disease Services
Our kidney doctors are experts in managing all types of kidney diseases and blood pressure disorders. We use the latest diagnostic technology and offer treatments ranging from medications to procedures. Whatever the kidney disease or severity, we have the knowledge to help.
Kidney disease and blood pressure disorder treatments at Cleveland Clinic in Florida
- Blood pressure treatments: All our nephrologists (kidney doctors) expertly treat high blood pressure (hypertension). Some are Certified Hypertension Specialists through the American Society of Hypertension. These doctors specialize in managing difficult-to-treat blood pressure disorders. Learn about the blood pressure conditions we treat.
- Kidney disease management: We manage chronic kidney disease and other kidney diseases. We modify treatment as needed to protect your kidneys from additional damage.
- Kidney stone prevention: We use advanced diagnostic tests to determine the cause of recurrent kidney stones and lower your risk of developing stones in the future.
- Kidney transplant care: We partner with our kidney transplant team to monitor kidney disease progression and kidney failure. If needed, we can refer you to our kidney transplant specialists. You may also receive ongoing care after a transplant regardless of where you had the procedure.
- Management of dialysis: We oversee the care of patients receiving dialysis, including those getting peritoneal dialysis or hemodialysis at home. Our hospitals also offer inpatient dialysis services as well as plasmapheresis. This treatment removes harmful antibodies (proteins) from your blood.
- Nutrition counseling: Our doctors can help you make dietary changes to lower your risk of kidney stones, electrolyte disorders, high blood pressure and other conditions.
Advanced diagnostic expertise
When appropriate, we send kidney tissue samples (kidney biopsy) to our pathologist at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. This doctor only examines kidney tissue, which means they have special expertise in diagnosing rare, complex kidney diseases.