Become part of an outstanding volunteer team. Mercy Hospital offers a wide range of volunteer service opportunities for adults, teens, and offsite groups.
Each year, our volunteers contribute more than 70,000 service hours to further the long-standing mission of Mercy Hospital, located in Canton, Ohio. Adult and teen volunteers help our healthcare professionals enhance the care we provide to patients and their families.
Programs we offer:
- Adult Volunteer Service Program.
- Teen TAG (Together Achieving Greatness).
- Caring Canines.
- And many more.
How do I become a Mercy volunteer?
- Participate in an interview if your application is approved.
- Complete Mercy health requirements and criminal background procedures.
- Attend orientation to learn about medical center policies and procedures.
- Receive “on the job” or specialized training.
- Contact Volunteer Services at 330.489.1106 and choose option 5 to speak with a team member for assistance.
Cleveland Clinic Mercy Hospital
1320 Mercy Drive, NW
Canton, OH 44708
Mercy Caring Canines
People who volunteer regularly will tell you that volunteerism has many great benefits - for both you and for your community. When you volunteer, you have the opportunity to grow your circle of friends, learn new skills and even boost your mental and physical health.
At Mercy Hospital, we believe in providing our volunteers with tangible benefits, as well. Join our team of volunteers and receive:
- Specialized training.
- Complimentary meal or snack on your day of service.
- Invitation to our annual appreciation events, holiday meal and Pro Football Hall of Fame Festival Balloon Classic.
- Volunteer awards.
- Health services, such as TB tests and flu shots.
- Discounts with area merchants, movie theaters, amusement parks and special event tickets.
- Discounts from the Gift Shop.
- And many more!
For some patients at Mercy Hospital, their physicians may call in a rather unusual but effective healthcare specialist: a dog from Caring Canines.
Benefits to patient pet visits may include:
- Improves the mood/lifts spirits of hospitalized patients by promoting a calming effect, which creates motivation in patients to recover faster and enhance a patient's will to live.
- Decreases depression, loneliness and social isolation by offering a sense of emotional connection, that also encourages patient communication and participation in treatment.
- Reduces stress levels & soothes patient anxiety.
- Lowers blood pressure and improves cardiovascular health.
- Lessens the overall physical pain or need for pain medications in patients who suffer from chronic pain.
- And much more!
Caring Canines' main goal is to help people heal through the comfort and motivation of these loving animals. All the handlers are volunteers and the animals are their own loving pets.
Currently, Caring Canines animals are dogs. Teams visit the main hospital lobby, emergency department, regional rehabilitation center and cancer center. The teams also participate in various locations at Mercy sponsored events.
Join the Caring Canines
To participate in our Caring Canines program, you and your dog must meet the following requirements:
- The dog must be at least a year old with a predictable, friendly temperament.
- You must complete Mercy Hospital's volunteer application process.
- After you have been accepted into Mercy Hospital's Pet Patrol Program, you must provide pet vet records and stool/throat cultures. You will also complete a Mercy Pet Patrol Competency and Pet Mentoring visits.
- For additional Caring Canines program requirements, contact Volunteer Services at 330.489.1106 and choose option 5 to speak with a staff member or email VerdejB@ccf.org.
If you would like to join our volunteer department, call 330.489.1106, Monday - Friday 8:30a.m. - 4:30p.m., or complete our online application.
If you are currently a Mercy Hospital volunteer, you may record your hours online.
Volunteer Internships & Externships at Mercy Hospital
If you are attending a university or college and completing your internship at Mercy Hospital in Canton, Ohio, please contact us for the Intern/Extern application paperwork.