The Pulmonary Medicine department offers Visiting Research positions that start on July of every year. Positions are usually for a year. There is monetary coverage for educational materials, presentations, conferences and publications;
As a Medicine Visiting Researcher at Cleveland Clinic Florida you will have a diversity of research possibilities in different areas of our department.
- Education in Clinical Research methodology
- Conduct clinical research projects and get publications
- Participate in the screening process of patients candidates for enrollment in multi-institutional clinical trials
- Participate in the Pulmonary Outpatient Clinic, Inpatient Consults and Critical Care rounds in the ICU
- Attend Internal Medicine Board Review lectures, teaching rounds, noon conferences, grand rounds and journal club
- Assistance with the IM residency application process, Letters of recommendation, counseling and interview rehearsal sessions
- Attend nationwide conferences and presentations of the Research work
Prerequisite Educational Level or Credentials
MD, DO or equivalent, research experience preferred
Description of Program
Your supervisor and you will decide on the projects that you will take on during your tenure. Research in pulmonary medicine involves a variety of opportunities including but not limited to coordinate and participate in a variety of complex activities involved in the collection, compilation, documentation and analysis of clinical outcomes, comparison between different device/procedures, and contribution in multi-institutional trials. It may include designing and presenting teaching videos and PowerPoint presentations for meetings, websites and other academic ventures.
Patient Contact-In order to fully comprehend the executed research is of paramount importance to have a thorough clinical and technical understanding of protocols and procedures under investigation. Opportunities that are offered and part of the research program include observation and participation in patient evaluation and selection, the procedure room or intensive care unit and patient visitations. Procedure room participation is limited to observation. Patient contact may be made for research purposes with adequate consent.
Opportunities in the outpatient clinic include observation and participation in the outpatient clinic. Observation while either staff physicians and/or clinical residents are interviewing, examining or determining the assessment plan is available.
Our recent graduate fellows have been successful in finding positions. One fellow is now in the internal medicine program at the Clinic, another has become a research coordinator in the industry, and another has found a position in a hospital in Florida.
Level of Supervision
Researchers are under direct supervision of Dr. Rahaghi, and by assignment other physicians in the Department: Drs. Smolley, Mehta, Hadeh, Martinez, or Aleyas
Franck Rahaghi, MD, Chair of Pulmonary Medicine
If you are interested in applying for the Voluntary Visiting Research opportunity in Medicine please contact our coordinator.