- Education in Clinical Research methodology
- Conduct clinical research projects and get publications
- Participate in the screening process of patients candidates for enrolment in multi-institutional clinical trials
- Participate in the Pulmonary Outpatient Clinic, Impatient Consults and Critical Care rounds in the ICU
- Attend Internal Medicine Board Review lectures, teaching rounds, noon conferences, grand rounds and journal club
- Assistance with the IM residency application process, LORs, counseling and interview rehearsal sessions
- Attend nationwide conferences and presentations of the Research work
As a Medicine research Fellow at Cleveland Clinic Florida you will have a diversity of research possibilities in different areas of our department.
Your supervisor and you will decide on the projects that you will take on during your tenure.
Research in pulmonary medicine involves a variety of opportunities including but not limited to coordinate and participate in a variety of complex activities involved in the collection, compilation, documentation and analysis of clinical outcomes, comparison between different device/procedures, and contribution in multi-institutional trials. It may include designing and presenting teaching videos and PowerPoint presentations for meetings, websites and other academic ventures.
Patient Contact-In order to fully comprehend the executed research is of paramount importance to have a thorough clinical and technical understanding of protocols and procedures under investigation. Opportunities that are offered and part of the medicine research program include observation and participation in the procedure room or intensive care unit and patient visitations. Procedure room participation is limited to observation. Patient contact may be made for research purposes with adequate consent.
Opportunities in the outpatient clinic include observation and participation in the outpatient clinic. Observation while either staff physicians and/or clinical residents are interviewing, examining or determining the assessment plan is available. Furthermore, under the supervision of a staff physician interviewing and examining patients will allow a better understanding of goals of research.
Opportunities in the hospital comprise observation in intensive care unit, and patients in whom consultation has been requested. Observation while either the staff physician and/or the clinical residents are interviewing, examining or determining the assessment and plan are available. The hospital contact will allow for a significant understanding of pulmonary patients necessary for completing pulmonary research.
Our recent graduate fellows have been successful in finding positions all around. One fellow is now in the internal medicine program at the Clinic, another has become a research coordinator in the industry, and another has found a position in a hospital in Florida.
If you are interested in applying for the Research Fellowship in Medicine please contact our coordinator Debra Holguin-Ruano at 954.659.5450 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your Curriculum Vitae (CV) if you are responding via email or fax it to 954.659.5451 Attn: Research Fellowship in Medicine.
- Compass Trial: An Open-label, Multi-Center Study Employing a Targeted 6-MWT Distance Threshold Approach to Guide Bosentan-Based Therapy and to Assess the Utility of MRI on Cardiac Remodeling. Actelion Pharmaceuticals-ongoing
- Targeted Detection of Alpha-1 Antitrypsin in Patients Referred for Pulmonary Function Testing: One of twelve centers in this US study-ongoing
- The Impact of Including a Physician Alert Accompanying Pulmonary Function (PFT) Results on Testing for and Detection of Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency: Baxter Pharmaceutical. Study Completed, presented in Abstract Form at Chest 2007, being submitted for publication.
- Strategy to increase Alpha One Antitrypsin deficiency testing
- Accelerated Decompensation in Young Patients
- The Efficacy of Brain Natriuretic Peptide in Differentiating Pulmonary HTN Secondary to Left Heart Disease from Other Causes of Pulmonary Hypertension
- Targeted Detection of Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency in Patients Referred for Pulmonary Function Testing (Alpha-1/PFT Study) (Sponsor: Alpha-1 Foundation)
- An Open-label, Multi-Center Study Employing a Targeted 6-MWT Distance Threshold Approach to Guide Bosentan-Based Therapy and to Assess the Utility of MRI on Cardiac Remodeling (Sponsor: Actelion Pharmaceuticals U.S., Inc.)
- Role of CT angiography in identifying cardiac versus non-cardiac etiology of pulmonary hypertension - Ratio of Pulmonary artery to Pulmonary vein diameter (Chart review)
- Accelerated Hemodynamic Decompensation of Young Patients Prior to Death in the Intensive Care Unit (Chart review)
- Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Testing by Respiratory Therapist
- Group visits in pulmonary hypertension
- Physician Workflow: Analysis of Laboratory Test ordering methods
- ATHENA-1: A Randomized, Multicenter Study of Ambrisentan and Sildenafil Combination Therapy in Subjects with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension who have demonstrated a Sub-Optimal Response to Sildenafil
- A Phase 3, Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Safety and Efficacy Study of Sitaxsentan Sodium in Subjects with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- A Phase 3, Multi-Center, Open Label Study to Evaluate the Long-Term Safety of Monotherapy Sitaxsentan Sodium and Combination Therapy Sitaxsentan Sodium and Sildenafil Citrate in Subjects with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension
- A Phase 3, Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Efficacy and Safety Study of Monotherapy Sitaxsentan Sodium versus Combination Therapy with Sitaxsentan Sodium and Sildenafil Citrate in Subjects with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension who have completed study
- Pulmonary Hypertension: Shared Medical Appointments (SMA)
- Comparison of Smoking Cessation Outcomes in those with or without Immediate Placement to a Smoking Cessation Clinic Directly from Hospital Admission
- ARTEMIS-PH: A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multi-Center, Parralel-Group Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Ambrisentan in Subjects with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and Pulmonary Hypertension.