Program Director: Dana Sands, MD
Program Coordinator: Jill Anderson
Cleveland Clinic Florida has a strong commitment to medical education and research. We believe that as an integral member of the community, it is important to offer students the opportunity to become familiar with different careers in medicine and the path to achieve them. The Summer Scholar Program is geared towards incoming high school seniors and college pre-med students who have completed their freshman year, providing exposure to the practice of medicine in both the hospital and clinic settings. The program runs Monday through Friday, approximately 8 hours daily with changes in times based upon the assigned rotation.
It is encouraged that any summer classes or any time off not be taken during the dates of the program.
- High School Students - One of two (3 week) sessions will be assigned
- College Students will be placed in a (6) six week session
Students will be exposed to many clinical areas including Internal Medicine, Radiology, Emergency Medicine, Surgery, as well as many other sub-specialties. Students will have directed interaction with staff physicians. The experience will culminate with a case presentation from each of the students.
- College Students: June 24, 2019 - August 3, 2019
- High School Session 1: June 24, 2019 to July 12, 2019
- High School Session 2: July 15, 2019 to August 3, 2019
- Mandatory Orientation: June 22, 2019
- Any student in session 2 will be required to attend orientation on June 24
- You must attend orientation to participate in the Summer Scholar Program (there will be no exceptions)
Local high school juniors going into their senior year and first year college pre-med students who have completed freshman year with a genuine interest in a career in the healthcare field are invited to apply. The student should have a GPA of 3.6 or higher. The Summer Scholar Program is a program designed to introduce senior high school students and first year college pre-med students to the many career options available in the medical field. They will rotate through multiple specialties within the hospital and outpatient clinic and have the opportunity to experience the various disciplines in medicine through lecture series and clinical rotations. The students will have a chance to ask questions and to explore different work environments.
No housing will be provided. Students are responsible for their own accommodations. It is mainly intended for students who live within Broward County.
Costs and Stipends
No stipend will be available. You are responsible for your meals.
Monday through Friday
Breakfast: 7 a.m. - 10 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 3 p.m.
If accepted to the Summer Scholar Program there will be an onboarding and processing fee of $100.
Any student participating in the Summer Scholar Program will be required to dress in business professional attire at all times. They will be given a lab coat to use for the duration of the program that must be returned upon graduation.
There will be a fee for any lab coat that is not returned.
The goals of the program include the following:
- Provide an individually structured full-time learning experience at Cleveland Clinic Florida during the summer for selected students.
- Introduce students with an introduction to clinical medicine and to foster their interest in the field.
- Raise consciousness about the daily tasks and responsibilities of a physician, offering real-world hospital experience.
Students interested in applying to the Summer Scholars Program may do so by completing and submitting the online application and providing all supporting documents. Please be sure to read all Deadline and Required Document information prior to submitting your application.
- Please send all documents at one time including recommendation letters PDF file only.
- Only completed applications will be reviewed.
- You must email all completed application materials including recommendations letters to Jill Anderson at email@example.com.
- Only Email applications will be accepted.
- Applicants must be responsible for submitting their own complete application.
Deadline and Notification of Acceptance
- We will begin to accept applications for the 2019 program on January 1st 2019 and the deadline will be March 11th 2019 with no exceptions.
- All complete application materials with recommendations letters are due by: Monday, March 11th, 2019 by Noon. Notification of acceptance to be announced via email by 4/30/19.
*Emailed applications will only be accepted.
Required Documents and Information
- Application Form.
- Emergency Contact Form.
- Personal Statement / Essay 1 full page. Please put your name on your essay.
What sparked your interest in the field of medicine? What do you hope to gain in your participation of the program?
- Two Letters of recommendations from school (Please email with the complete application documents. Letters need to be on the school's letterhead and have the appropriate signatures. Recommendation letters can be from teachers, administration or guidance counselors).
- Proof of Health Insurance.
- A passport photo - with white or blue background sent in Jpeg format. This will be used for your ID badge.
- Drug Screen - 10 Panel Urinalysis (we do not give orders and this is not covered by Cleveland Clinic).
- School transcripts with a GPA of 3.6 (Transcripts can be an unofficial printed document. If transcripts are sealed, please open and scan with application.)
- If you are accepted into the program you will need to complete Cleveland Clinic's Non-Employee onboarding program. You will need to be able to provide documentation of a PPD and Titers (evidence of immunization).
- If you are accepted you will be responsible for a non-refundable onboarding and processing fee of $100.00.
- If you do not complete the Silkroad Non-Employee on boarding program by the assigned date, you will not be able to participate in Summer Scholar.
** There will be no exceptions for incomplete or late submissions of Silkroad.
Contact & Location
You may contact Jill Anderson by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Summer Scholar Program will be held at the Cleveland Clinic Florida campus.
Cleveland Clinic Florida
2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd.
Weston, FL 33331