Awards & Recognition
Our success at Martin Health is determined by our outcomes, patient satisfaction and how we compare to local and national benchmarks. Because of our commitment to high quality patient care, we also receive annual recognitions and awards that reflect these efforts. These recognitions are a source of humility and pride, but never distract us from our relentless pursuit of providing exceptional health care, hope and compassion to every patient, every time.
The Joint Commission Accreditation: Martin Health ranks among the top 10 percent of hospitals nationwide, as scored by The Joint Commission, one of the most respected health care accreditations in the U.S. Every three years, The Joint Commission reviews numerous aspects of care, from governance and bylaws to staff competency. Martin Health was awarded with accreditation during The Joint Commission’s most recent review in 2016.
The Joint Commission Certification - Primary Stroke Center: Martin Health retains certification as a primary stroke center by The Joint Commission, a recognition of excellence in stroke care. The Joint Commission certifies hospitals that meet national standards and performance measurement expectations. The commission’s certification program was developed along with the American Stroke Association. Certification was awarded in 2007, 2009, 2012, 2014 and 2016.
The Joint Commission Center of Excellence Accreditation - Orthopaedic Specialty Center: The Orthopaedic Specialty Center at Cleveland Clinic Martin Health earned The Joint Commission Center of Excellence Accreditation for total hip and knee joint replacement. The Orthopaedic Specialty Center was also the second hospital in Florida to achieve disease-specific certification in hip fracture care.
The Joint Commission Certification - Patient Blood Management: The Martin Health Patient Blood Management program is the first hospital system in the nation to receive certification from The Joint Commission and AABB. The certification, awarded for a two-year period, recognizes the health care system’s evidence-based approach to optimizing care for patients who may need a blood transfusion. The certification is based on the AABB Standards for a Patient Blood Management Program to help hospitals establish a comprehensive patient blood management program.
Blue Distinction® Center for Bariatric Surgery: Martin North Hospital has been recognized as a Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Blue Distinction Centers are nationally designated facilities with expertise in delivering improved patient safety and health outcomes.
Commission on Cancer: The Robert and Carol Weissman Cancer Center at Martin Health received a three-year accreditation with commendation from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons for the time period of 2015 - 2017. Approval and highest rating were also earned in 2003, 2007, 2009 and 2012.
National Accreditation for Breast Centers: The Robert and Carol Weissman Cancer Center received three-year accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Care Centers.
Cleveland Clinic Martin Health (CCMH), based in Stuart, FL. is comprised of three hospitals (Martin North- 244 beds; Martin South- 100 beds; Tradition- 177 beds), one MediCenter, a free-standing emergency center, and numerous outpatient centers and clinics. The system is a not-for-profit, health care organization that offers preventive, primary and acute hospital care, as well as cancer care, a heart center, wellness and rehabilitation services, a bariatric program and much more. Our services provide care for residents throughout the Treasure Coast including Stuart, Jensen Beach, Hobe Sound, Palm City and Port St. Lucie.
Nurses at CCMH are part of a shared governance culture where their voices and actions help ensure the quality and safety of care provided at CCMH. Their dedication to providing the highest quality of care has contributed to several organization-wide awards and recognitions:
- Ranked as the No 28 hospital in Florida, according to U.S. News & World Report’s “2021-22 Best Hospitals”. In addition, the hospital was rated high performing in Heart Failure, Colon Cancer Surgery, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and Hip Replacement.
- Certification as a primary stroke center by The Joint Commission in collaboration with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, a recognition of excellence in stroke care at both our North Hospital and South Hospital locations. Tradition Hospital is certified as a Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center.
- The Orthopaedic Specialty Center at Cleveland Clinic Martin Health earned The Joint Commission Center of Excellence Accreditation for total hip and knee joint replacement. The Orthopaedic Specialty Center was also the second hospital in Florida to achieve disease-specific certification in hip fracture care.
- The Patient Blood Management program is the first hospital system in the nation to receive certification from The Joint Commission and AABB. The certification, awarded for a two-year period, recognizes the health care system’s evidence-based approach to optimizing care for patients who may need a blood transfusion.
- Achieved the status as Blue Distinction Centers for Excellence in Cardiac Care. Blue Distinction is a nationwide program created by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association to help members easily identify outstanding medical centers that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality health care. The program’s goal is to help consumers find health care facilities that have demonstrated reliability in cardiac care and better overall outcomes.
- Named a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement® for demonstrating better overall quality of care and patient results in knee and hip replacement, when compared to industry standards.
- One of 21 Florida hospitals that have been designated as a Blue Distinction Center in Spine Surgery.
- Recognized as a Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
- The Center for Bariatric and Metabolic at Martin Health was also recognized for its multidisciplinary program of preoperative and postoperative care that improves patient outcomes and long-term success by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP®).
- An eight-time national winner of the national Truven 100 Top Hospitals recognition which evaluates 3,000 short-term acute care, non-federal hospitals in the United States and a two-time awardee of the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals in the nation.
Professional Practice Model
The Cleveland Clinic Martin Health nurses use the guiding principle of Patients First with the highest quality compassionate care through the use of the Zielony Nursing Institute’s Professional Practice Model. The model’s components of quality and safety, relationship-based culture, professional practice and development, and research, evidence based practice and innovation serve as the foundational tenets for nursing care rendered throughout the organization.
Shared Governance at Cleveland Clinic Martin Health
Shared Governance gives nurses across all care settings a voice to affect their practice and the care provided for patients. It supports a culture of partnership, equity, accountability, and ownership which enhances nursing satisfaction, retention, patient satisfaction, and quality outcomes.
The shared governance model is based on a number of core principles:
- Shared focus on patients, services, and staff; all essential to providing safe and effective care
- Authority and autonomy to make decisions about nursing practice
- Responsibility and willingness to invest in ethical practices through shared decision making
- Collaboration and teamwork among caregivers and patients/families
Cleveland Clinic Martin Health nurses are encouraged to further their professional development by offering tuition reimbursement and scholarship programs. We facilitate a mentoring program for new graduate nurses where the needs of each nurse are considered, and an individual orientation program is designed to meet his or her specific needs.
We demonstrate our appreciation for the hard work and contributions of our nurses through our monthly recognition program and partnership using The Daisy Award® for Extraordinary Nurses– an opportunity to celebrate the exceptional care our nurses provide.