Cleveland Clinic Florida has a strong commitment to medical education and research. We believe that as an integral member of the community, it is important to offer a student the opportunity to become familiar with different careers in medicine and the path to achieve them. The Summer Scholar Program is geared towards high school seniors and college pre-med students which provides exposure to the practice of medicine in both the hospital and clinic settings.
- College students:
June 20, 2016 to July 29, 2016 | Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- High School Session 1:
June 20, 2016 to July 8, 2016 | Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m
- High School Session 2:
July 11, 2016 to July 29, 2016 | Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
It is encourage that any summer classes or any time off not be taken during the dates of the program.
(for High school students, sessions will be assigned.)
Students will be exposed to many clinical areas including Internal Medicine, Radiology, Emergency Medicine , operating room, as well as many other sub-specialties. They will have directed interaction with staff physicians. The experience will culminate with a case presentation from each of the summer sessions.
Areas of Clinical Exposure
You will have exposure to many clinical areas including Radiology, Pathology, Emergency, Breast Reconstructive Surgery and others to be determined.
Local high school juniors going into their senior year and first year college pre-med students with a genuine interest in starting a career in the healthcare field are invited to apply. The student should have a GPA of 3.4 to be eligible. The Summer Scholar Program is a program designed to introduce senior high school students and first year college pre-med students to the many career options available in the medical field. The students will be assigned a faculty mentor in a specific specialty that they will shadow for the entire length of the program. They will have opportunity to explore the various disciplines in medicine through a lecture series and clinical rotations. The students will have a chance to ask questions and to explore different work environments.
No housing will be provided. Students are responsible for their own accommodations. It is mainly intended for students who live within Broward County.
Costs and Stipends
No stipend will be available. You are responsible for your meals.
Cafeteria hours are:
Monday through Friday
Breakfast: 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Breakfast: 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Lunch/dinner: 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The goals of the program include the following:
- Provide an individually structured full-time learning experience at Cleveland Clinic Florida during the summer for selected students.
- Introduce students with an introduction to clinical medicine and to foster their interest in the field.
- Raise consciousness about the daily tasks and responsibilities of a physician, offering real-world hospital experience.
Students interested in applying to the Summer Scholars Program may do so by completing and submitting the online application and providing all supporting documents.
- Please send all documents at one time including recommendation letters in one complete PDF file only.
- Please do not send documents separately.
- Only completed applications will be reviewed.
- You may email all completed application materials including recommendations letters to email@example.com.
- Only Email applications will be accepted.
Deadline and Notification of Acceptance
- All complete application materials with recommendations letters are due by:
Monday, March 14, 2016 by Noon. Notification of acceptance will be on April 4, 2016.
*Emailed applications will only be accepted.
Required Documents and Information
- Application Form (The Summer Scholar Program Agreement & Release Form will be provided once accepted to the program)
- Background Check
- Emergency Contact Form
- Personal Statement / Essay 1 full page. Please put your name on your essay.
What sparked your interest in the field of medicine? and What do you hope to gain in your participation of the program?
- Two Letters of recommendations from school (Please email with the complete application documents. Letters need to be on the school's letterhead and have the appropriate signatures. Recommendation letters can be from teachers, administration or guidance counselors).
- Health Insurance Card( front and back of card)
- School transcripts with a GPA of 3.4 (Transcripts can be an unofficial printed document. If transcripts are sealed, please open and scan with application.)
- Evidence of Immunization (Titers). If the immunizations are over 10 years, please repeat titers.
- Measles, Rubella, Varicella
- Certificate of Immunization (or)
- Report of Positive Titers
- Certificate of Negative PPD (< 1 year old) when starting the program (or)
- Report of Negative Chest X-ray (< year old)
You may contact Jane Rentas by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Summer Scholar Program will be held at the Cleveland Clinic Florida campus.
Cleveland Clinic Florida
2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd.
Weston, FL 33331