The Cleveland Clinic Florida Department of Orthopedics is pleased to offer a one-year combined Sports Medicine and Upper Extremity fellowship. Our combined fellowship offers unique opportunities to the aspiring Sports Medicine/Upper Extremity surgeons.
Under the supervision of Vani Sabesan, MD, Gregory Gilot, MD, Brian Leo, MD, and Farah Tejpar, MD this fellowship offers an outstanding diversity of experience in all areas of sports medicine, and upper extremity joint reconstruction. Fellows will be exposed to current arthroscopic and reconstructive shoulder, elbow, hand and knee procedures, as well as, minimally invasive and minimal incision total knee, elbow, and shoulder reconstruction including reverse and resurfacing techniques. The group provides care for professional and collegiate athletes and works closely with athletic trainers and covers local sporting events. Emphasis is divided between clinical, surgery and research.
The preferred applicant will spend twelve months in a clinically-oriented program working on the services of Dr. Sabesan and Dr. Gilot, whose practice involves pathology and surgery of the shoulder and elbow and hand. Time will also be spent with Dr. Leo, one of our sports medicine specialists for both lower and upper extremity sports. This fellowship will also have a strong academic component and opportunities for research. Participation in academic activities of the department and completion of at least two publishable research project are expected.
Vani Sabesan, MD
Our application requirements are as follows:
- Complete Application
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript
- USMLE Step I Transcript & Score > 220 is suggested with one (1) attempt/ COMLEX Level equivalent
- USMLE Step 2 Transcript & Score >220 is suggested with one (1) attempt / COMLEX Level 2 equivalent
- Three Letters of Recommendation
This fellowship will also have a strong academic component and opportunities for research. Participation in academic activities of the department and completion of at least two publishable research project are expected
Each fellow will be on-call one weekend per month. There will be no weekday call responsibilities. Call responsibilities include rounding on inpatients and ER consults. Cleveland Clinic Florida is a Level-2 trauma facility.
Evaluation of fellow with feedback to fellow at least twice per year.
Evaluation of staff and program at least once per year.
Salary is at the PGY6 level plus fringe benefits as detailed in the Graduate Physician Policy Manual and listed in the Resident/Fellow Benefits.
|Grad Level||Current Pay Rate|
Paid Time Away: Vacation, Maternity, & Paternity
- Vacation: 3 weeks (15 working days) provided at the beginning of each academic year
- Maternity: 6 weeks paid leave for natural childbirth or adoption; 8 weeks for cesarean section. Additional time off unpaid up to a maximum of 12 weeks under the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Paternity: 2 week paid leave. Additional time off unpaid up to a maximum of 12 weeks under the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Healthcare: Cleveland Clinic Florida covers 50% of annual Healthcare Plans for Clinical Trainees and their families. Effective on the first day of training with no waiting period.
- Dental and Vision Care: Cleveland Clinic Florida covers 100% of annual Dental and Vision Care Plans for Clinical Trainees.
- Maternity Care: 100% coverage is provided through the health care plan that you select within the plans guidelines.
- Pharmaceuticals: As outlined by the Cleveland Clinic Florida Health Plan.
- Malpractice: Paid by the Cleveland Clinic Educational Foundation/Cleveland Clinic Florida. Limited to activities within the training program.
- Life Insurance: $25,000 term group policy.
Travel Privileges and Other Education Activities
Senior residents, chief residents, and fellows in ACGME and NON-ACGME programs that meet eligibly criteria as outlined in the Graduate Physicians Manual may be approved to attend academic meetings for the purpose of presenting or engaging in leadership roles within national societies will be eligible up to 5 days per academic year with a maximum reimbursement of $1,200 per academic year.
- Book Allowance: A $250 educational allowance per year is available to all clinical residents/fellows. Primary use is for textbooks.
- On-call Meals: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner: Paid by Cleveland Clinic Florida when on in house night call.
- Cell phones: Apple iPhone provided to all residents
- Uniforms: Supplied by Cleveland Clinic Florida.
Vanessa Santos, BHSA
2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd.
Weston, Florida 33331
Class of 2019
- Diego Lima, MD