John Philpott, MD, is a Sports Medicine Physician at Cleveland Clinic Canada. Dr. Philpott is a specialist in the well-being of children, adolescents and young adults and treats patients from ages fourteen to adulthood. His specialty interests include obesity, care of the young athlete and physical activity prescription for those with chronic medical conditions.
Born and raised in Miramichi, NB, Dr. Philpott completed his Bachelor of Science in Chemistry at Dalhousie University in Halifax, NS, before going on to obtain his Doctor of Medicine from St. George’s University in Grenada, WI. He completed his paediatric residency in New York City at Beth Israel Medical Center and in Hamilton, ON at McMaster University.
Dr. Philpott is licensed to practice medicine in both Canada and California. He currently acts as team physician for the Canadian Senior Men’s and U23 National Soccer Teams as well as team physician for the Canadian Senior Men’s and U19 Basketball Teams and for Skate Canada’s Senior National Team. He was selected to serve as a Figure Skating Venue Physician at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Games.
Dr. Philpott is an Assistant Professor, Section of Community Paediatrics at the University of Toronto. A staff physician at the former Hospital for Sick Children’s Sports Medicine Clinic, he continues to teach residents and fellows regularly and is on the admission committee for the University of Toronto’s sports medicine fellowship. Dr. Philpott has been published in several journals, including being the principle author or co-author of several position policy statements of the CPS and CASEM. He has appeared on CTV, CTV’s Canada AM, Citytv, CBC Radio and Global as well as in the Globe & Mail.
When he is not treating patients, Dr. Philpott enjoys practicing what he preaches, continuing with the many sports he began enjoying in his youth - running, basketball, tennis, swimming and skating - and in adulthood, skiing. He enjoys books, music, film and theatre.
- McMaster University
- Beth Israel Medical Center
New York, New York
- Doctor of Medicine
- St. George’s University
School of Medicine
St. George’s, Grenada, WI
- Bachelor of Science
- Dalhousie University
- Diploma in Sport and Exercise Medicine – Dip Sport Med
- Fellow Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons – FRCPC
- Fellow American Academy of Pediatrics – FAAP
- Care of the young athlete
- Physical activity prescription for those with chronic medical conditions
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Canadian Paediatric Society
- Member, Healthy Active Living Committee
- President, Section on Sport & Exercise Medicine
- Canadian Medical Association
- Ontario Medical Association
- The Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine
- Past Chair, Paediatric Sport & Exercise Medicine Committee
- Member, Credentials Committee
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Executive Member – CPS Liaison, Council on Sports Medicine & Fitness