Why should I offer my child low-fat snacks?
There are many reasons why it might be right for your child to start eating a lower fat diet. Talk with a dietitian or your doctor to decide if your child should be eating a low-fat diet. Here are some suggestions to help decrease fat in your child's diet.
When your child asks for a high-fat food, offer a lower-fat choice instead:
- Instead of regular chips, try pretzels or baked chips.
- Instead of meat pizza, try veggie pizza made with low-fat cheese.
- Instead of hamburger, try grilled chicken sandwich or lean ground turkey breast burger.
- Instead of fried chicken fingers, try grilled chicken slices.
- Instead of french fries, try baked potato wedges.
- Instead of candy pieces, try dried fruit pieces.
- Instead of candy bars, try low-fat granola bars.
- Instead of ice cream, try fat-free frozen yogurt or low-fat sherbet.
Give your child low-fat snacks during the day.
Healthy and fun snack ideas:
- Mini-pizza: Top English muffins with tomato sauce, low-fat cheese, and vegetables. Broil until cheese melts.
- Sandwich creations: Cut any sandwich (made with whole wheat bread, low-fat cheese, lean meats, and fat-free dressings or mustard) with cookie cutters.
- Fruit smoothie: Blend low-fat yogurt, banana, juice, and ice together.
- Banana pops: Peel banana, dip in low-fat or fat-free yogurt, roll in crushed breakfast cereal, then freeze.
- Apple smiles: Spread fat-free caramel dip onto apple wedges and use marshmallows and/or raisins for teeth.
- Pineapple chunks or diced peaches with fat-free cottage cheese
Other quick snack ideas:
- Graham crackers
- Whole wheat crackers and low-fat cheese
- Dried fruit such as raisins, apricots, mixed fruit
- Low-fat or fat-free yogurt
- Fat-free pudding snacks
- Frozen fruit sorbet
Use low-fat or fat-free foods in your home, including the following:
- Fat-free dairy products such as skim milk, fat-free cheese, fat-free yogurt, and fat-free cottage cheese
- Low-fat or fat-free salad dressings, vegetable cooking spray
- Condiments such as mustard, ketchup, and BBQ sauce instead of mayonnaise, butter, or margarine
- Lean lunch meats such as lean ham, turkey, or chicken
Offer fruits and vegetables as snacks instead of cakes, cookies, or candies.