Ongoing Primary Care
Dr. Elaine Schulte is available to provide ongoing primary pediatric care including:
- Well-child and urgent care
- Urgent calls to medical staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Multidisciplinary Team Evaluation
If needed, the multidisciplinary IAP team, led by Dr. Schulte, may evaluate your child. The team includes:
- Behavioral medicine expert
- Developmental pediatrician
- Educational consultant
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Speech pathologist
The IAP team will provide ongoing evaluation of your child's development. We are available as your child matures throughout school, to ensure that any special learning needs are fully supported.
Referrals to Pediatric Medical Specialists
- Cleveland Clinic's Children's offers care in all pediatric medical subspecialties.
- When necessary, the IAP can refer your child for additional assessments and care to our specialists in Pediatric Infectious Disease, Pediatric Endocrinology, Pediatric Ophthalmology and other areas.
- Most insurance companies cover post-adoption evaluation and primary care. Check with your insurer.
Pre Adoption Consultations
We believe that the Pre-Adoption Consultation is the best way to prepare parents for the unique challenge and joys of international adoption. The transition a child goes through from an orphanage or foster care in another country requires sensitivity, insight and preparation. Our international adoption specialists will ensure you are ready and best prepared for the arrival of your child.
Pre-Adoption Consultations include:
- Immediate review of your child's medical records, photos and videotapes
- Interpretation of medical terminology
- Assessing growth
- Outlining developmental and behavioral expectations
- A pre-travel consultation to help you plan for medical, developmental, feeding, sleeping, or other issues that may arise
- Adoption resources
You can request a Pre-Adoption Consultation using the Cleveland Clinic's MyConsult Online Second Opinion program.
- MyConsult allows you to consult an experienced international adoption specialist from the comfort and privacy of home, and streamlines the evaluation of your child's health records, photos and videotapes.
- For a full list of services and fees for adoption consultations visit Cleveland Clinic's MyConsult Pre-Adoption Consultation, call 800.223.2273 ext. 43223, or fax your request to 216.445.6911.
Dr. Elaine Schulte, Director of the International Adoption Program, will examine and evaluate your child within seven to 10 days of your arrival home. She will conduct the screening recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics, and provide all needed immunizations.
Post-adoption services include:
- A thorough physical examination, and a history review (to the extent available)
- Review of any new medical information
- Review of immunization status
- Assessment of infectious disease risks
- Assessment of developmental status
- Diagnostic tests or referrals to specialists, if needed
"Let us help you establish the lifelong parent-child bond you’ve been wishing for, and experience the tremendous joy that an adopted child can bring to a family."