Childhood obesity and weight problems are increasing at alarming rates and it is no different in the Northeast Ohio area. The Be Well Kids Clinic uniquely targets children with excess weight and seeks to provide excellent care in managing the medical problems associated with being overweight, along with teaching families ways to improve quality of life and enhance wellness. Our family-center approach strives to create life-long healthy weight.
Who is Eligible?
The Be Well Kids Clinic accepts children who meet the following criteria:
- 2 to 20 years of age
- Body mass index (BMI) greater than the 85th percentile (determine BMI percentile)
- Is motivated, along with their family, to make continuous lifestyle changes
Insurance coverage is different for everyone, so it is best to contact your insurance carrier to review your coverage. Billing for lab tests may be associated with the medical conditions identified at your visit. It is best to ask your insurance provider if they cover 99214 or 99215 medical visits and 97802 and 97803 nutrition visits.
What to expect
Before the initial visit each parent is asked to complete a questionnaire and a medical history. During the visit a medical provider will complete a physical exam, review health history, order lab work to identify health problems, and develop manageable goals with you and your child. You and your child will also meet with a dietitian to review health eating strategies.
During a group session, you will meet the whole Be Well Kids Clinic team:
- The medical experts: A pediatrician, pediatric gastroenterologist and nurse practitioner
- A registered dietitian
- An exercise physiologist
Follow-up visits are scheduled monthly to offer feedback and support obtaining healthy weight. Frequency will decrease once goals have been met and life-long health weight strategies will be identified in order to sustain the positive changes which have been obtained.
In between, you and your child may see:
- The dietitian, who can help you with healthy meal planning and portion control
- The exercise physiologist, who will help your child find a safe, enjoyable physical activity, such as weight training
- A behavioral health specialist is also part of the Be WellKids Clinic team. These experts help kids and teens with motivation problems, low self-esteem, body image issues and bullying